bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Parcells Retires Today

I just heard something on the radio right now about this, but didn't see any reports as of yet.

gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

Just heard myself. I kinda thought he'd stick around for another year.

Jay Edgar
    Jay Edgar's Avatar Become A Pro!

Real window of opportunity for Dallas here.

My thought watching them this year is that they had just about all the pieces except a head coach who could take a young team and get them over the hump.

begolf25
    begolf25's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    I just heard something on the radio right now about this, but didn't see any reports as of yet.
    Just saw it released on AP...

Cowboys' Parcells retires from coaching
    Legendary leader never led Dallas to Super Bowl in four seasons

Updated: 9 minutes ago
    IRVING, Texas - Bill Parcells retired from coaching Monday, leaving the Dallas Cowboys after four seasons and ending a stellar career that featured three Super Bowl appearances and two championships.

The announcement came 15 days after the Cowboys’ season ended with a heartbreaking playoff loss in Seattle. He’d been at his office nearly every day since, and there were other indications that the 65-year-old coach was returning for a fifth year in Dallas and 20th as an NFL head coach.

“I am in good health and feel lucky to have been able to coach in the NFL for an extended period of time,” he said in a statement. “I leave the game and the NFL with nothing but good feelings and gratitude to all the players, coaches and other people that have assisted me in that regard. “

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Do you think that this was because Jerry wants TO back next year?

Doc JS

Jay Edgar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc JS
    Do you think that this was because Jerry wants TO back next year?

Doc JS
    If that's true (and I suppose it's not impossible that it is), then I retract all comments of optimism about their prospects.

I just think Parcells was the wrong fit, and he is simply out of gas -- and was from the start this year. That long Michael Lewis piece in the NY Times magazine, which was a great read, was really revealing.

Mr Nuts
    Mr Nuts's Avatar Become A Pro!

if owens was gone parcells would have stayed IMO.

Doc JS

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Edgar
    If that's true (and I suppose it's not impossible that it is), then I retract all comments of optimism about their prospects.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Edgar
    I just think Parcells was the wrong fit, and he is simply out of gas -- and was from the start this year. That long Michael Lewis piece in the NY Times magazine, which was a great read, was really revealing.
    I think it was more than that...

They started the year with a statue for a QB that they couldn't protect. They switched to a four year guy with no experience. After the initial optimism with Romo, he had the same struggles that all first year players have.

In the last quarter of the year, they couldn't get pressure on the QB and their suspect secondary was exposed.

And in spite of all of that, they still made the playoffs and SHOULD have won the game in Seattle.

So, I think it's overly simplistic to say that the game has passed Parcells by and that he's out of gas.

Doc JS
    Last edited by Doc JS; 01-22-07 at 12:04 PM.

Doc JS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nuts
    if owens was gone parcells would have stayed IMO.
    Agreed. I think Jerry told Bill that he (Jerry) was going to bring TO back. At the end of the day, I just don't think Bill could fathom putting up with TO for another year.

Doc JS

Jay Edgar

Maybe we're splitting hairs, but from Parcells' perspective -- in his own mind -- I can't imagine that TO was the deciding factor.

He's Bill Parcells, for Christ sake. Some punk wideout is going to drive him from the game? I just doubt it.

He's quit before because he's an unhappy person when he's coaching. Now it's only worse because of his age and energy level.

No matter what team and personnel he'd been in charge of, I think he's had enough.

That's not the ESPN-friendly explanation, because it doesn't generate more speculation for the news cycle. But it seems the most human and real explanation to me.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

Likely retired for good this time. All of his back-stage maneuvers and ego trips really hurt this guy's reputation, and eventually, his coaching performance suffered as well.

bigboydan

I just finished listing to an interview of him talking, and from the sounds of it he's wanting to become a GM for a team now.

I guess if Marv Levy can be a GM at 80 years old so can Bill Parcells.

zoneblitz
    zoneblitz's Avatar Become A Pro!

It is probably the best thing for Parcells to move on. He was ineffective in his game plans and play calling. Everyone but Parcells knew how to beat Seattle and yet they didnt attack the Seahawks depleted secondary, especially Pete Hunter, who had been sitting in a loan office the week before.

He left Jones in a bind as several coaches were hired while Parcells sat around with his thumb up his ass deciding whether to stay or go, and now Jones has fewer candidates to choose from.

One rumor is Norv Turner; we will see.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

No surprise really. He was on his last leg anyway. I dont think we will see him coaching again.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    No surprise really. He was on his last leg anyway. I dont think we will see him coaching again.
    Coaching no, but as others have suggested I can see him in a GM role down the road.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    Coaching no, but as others have suggested I can see him in a GM role down the road.
    Yeah, that could be possible. Maybe he will just go back into TV and be on one of the NFL shows.

Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

I heard Jime Rome thinks Parcells will be going back to New York after the Giants fire Coughlin. Makes sense to me.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Tchocky
    I heard Jime Rome thinks Parcells will be going back to New York after the Giants fire Coughlin. Makes sense to me.

Thats what the rumors were saying last Friday bud. Who really knows what to expect out of somebody like Parcells being 65 years old right now though.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    Thats what the rumors were saying last Friday bud. Who really knows what to expect out of somebody like Parcells being 65 years old right now though.
    Yeah, somebody from Around the Horn reported that two weeks ago but the report was refuted. I personaly think he will end up in New York as a gm as the ATH gut first reported.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

The Giants just hired a new GM, and he's not going anywhere even if the team goes 3-13 next season. Only way Parcells comes back is as coach, and the Giants would be crazy to hire this egomaniac who would be 67 when the 2008 season starts.

They need a young coach, not an old coach. Too bad Coughlin will have to listen to this all season. How long before he loses it in a press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    Yeah, somebody from Around the Horn reported that two weeks ago but the report was refuted. I personaly think he will end up in New York as a gm as the ATH gut first reported.

bigboydan

Did you guys here T.O's comments about Parcells. He said he was just like his grandma.

Maybe if Owens would have listen to his grandma he wouldn't be such a dick nowadays.