Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9426

Payton's big mistakes

As soon as he trotted that loser kicker Billy Cundiff on the field for a 47-yard FG, I knew the Saints were done. Terrible decision and a MOMENTUM killer. Should have gone for it even on 4th and 10. No chance to make that kick.

Next possession, you can't drop Brees into the end zone there. You gotta run the ball for a few yards and get some breathing room, and then just punt. Bears offense was crap most of the day. Stay in the game. Safety was the final nail.

prickbeater101
    prickbeater101's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree SS as I thought that should have been a 2 play call right there on 3rd and 10 before Cundiff came out. I was telling my Dad right at that moment. Thought the field goal was to far and a punt may have netted you 15 yds there. Bad idea. Also Payton abandoned the run deep in his own territory when the Bears had their ears pinned back and coming when I also thought they should run it. Terrible conditions with a field that was just sodded. Just trying to do too much. Bears were only suspect against the run and I think the Saints got away from that too much....

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14461

Say it 'Aints so . . .

ChrisV
    ChrisV's Avatar Become A Pro!

Paytons problem was abandoning the rush alltogether...especially when it was 3rd and 10 and they were down 2. Get your 5 yards or so and kick the field goal for THE LEAD. Not just gun it way downfield incomplete. That was ballgame right there. They lost like 50 yards field position when they got the ball back, and then the safety that followed was murder.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9426

Exactly. Saints really beat themselves in this game with play calling and turnovers. The opportunity to seize the game was there. Also, Reggie Bush should not be taunting in that spot and doing a flip into the end zone. What if he breaks his hand? What a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisV
    Paytons problem was abandoning the rush alltogether...especially when it was 3rd and 10 and they were down 2. Get your 5 yards or so and kick the field goal for THE LEAD. Not just gun it way downfield incomplete. That was ballgame right there. They lost like 50 yards field position when they got the ball back, and then the safety that followed was murder.

Jay Edgar
    Jay Edgar's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agree.

I'm a big Payton fan, but he was far from perfect today.

First time all year that he coached as if rattled, at least that I saw.

Nismo
    Nismo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4344

I think Payton called a good game. Ball bounced the wrong way early and after the Bears started to run over them they came out to stop the run and make Rex beat them (good idea). They did and Rex did. Game Over.

Nismo
    Nismo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4344

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew
    Also, Reggie Bush should not be taunting in that spot and doing a flip into the end zone.
    Great play, he's gonna be a superstar. Don't taunt Urlacher in his house, rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Edgar
    First time all year that he coached as if rattled, at least that I saw.
    Early turnovers on the road in a big game will do that too a rookie coach.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Nismo
    Early turnovers on the road in a big game will do that too a rookie coach.
    I'll give you that, but when the game is 16-14, you've got the momentum and the ball in good field position, it's hard to lose by 23 without making a couple big mistakes.

GUNZ-05
    GUNZ-05's Avatar Become A Pro!

yall guys are right...down by 2 points and they totally forgot how to call a running play....duece should've had 25+ carries..who the hell is this guy they brought in to kick that field goal??? that was sooooo stupid...or what about when its 3rd down in field goal range down by 2 and they call a pass play, not only was it a pass play but drew brees dropped back 10 yards and got sacked..now the saints are out of field goal range..and they punted ....someone said it earlier..payton was rattled as a rookie coach...but what else can i say 3 turnovers in the first quarter that doesnt help...but in all..i tip my hat to s.payton and the new orleans saints..they gave us as fans something to be happy about..they did something no other saints team ever done..they gave us something to look forward to every sunday..they did a hell of a job this year!!!!!!!!