MAB
    MAB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2798

Should Marty be fired?

I don't really know.

Is he responsible for his players making idiotic personnal fouls on key downs? Is he responsible for Parker and the receiving core who continue to drop the ball? Is he responsible for all the turnovers?

His playoff record is horrible but I personally don't think he should be blamed for losing this game.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

50 - 50 he's in Pittsburgh next yr

nosuzieno
    nosuzieno's Avatar Become A Pro!

He and GManager don't along. NFL network just said odds were good if he didn't win today, he would be done. That was either is 5th or 6th straight playoff loss...

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

He is one of five coaches in the history of the National Football League to win 200 games.

No. He shouldn't be fired.

But apparently he and the GM in SD don't get along very well. When you go 14-2 in the regular season and exit the playoffs in the divisional round, somebody has got to take the fall. It may be Marty.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

YES.

That's my initial kneejerk reaction. But, there's a lot of other things pointing in that same direction. He flat out got outcoached today, albeit by the best modern day NFL coach. He's also had a terrible history of giving away games with bad coaching decisions, albeit this season he kinda shrugged that stigma at least during the regular season. Today certainly didn't strengthen his standing as the Charger's head coach.

The big question really comes down to this: "If not Marty, then who?". If you say Barry Switzer, I'd say stick with Marty. But, if you can get a top assistant candidate out there, I'd be more intrigued. It really comes down to fit. I just don't see Marty fitting. He had his shot and he Martied it away, again.

The big question now, what happens if Dungy loses?!?! Ugh.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes, he should be fired. Because with the right mental attitude you don't make the type of mistakes that the Chargers made today. The Chargers were not ready for war, and that is Marty's responsibility. It's all about the little details in a battle like this; not just during the game, but 24 hours a day. Chargers were the much more talented team, but they lost the battle of little details. If the Chargers want to take the next step they need a general who knows how to take them there.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 01-14-07 at 09:57 PM.

hanco21
    The Lord of No Rings..AJ Smith Egomaniac
    hanco21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2113

Yes...He will be fired. So many bad decisions in yesterdays game. 4th and 10 at the 30 yard line and he goes for it. What, Kaeding can't kick a 47 yard FG. If he can't he doesn't belong in the pro bowl.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

I think it's reached a point like Dungy in Tampa. They need to make a change for the confidence of the team. I don't think Cam Cameron is the answer. He's at fault as well. Second to last possession for SD, Tomlinson runs for 6 yards on first down and they pass on 2nd and 3rd down? Hand the ball off twice and he easily gets a first down to keep your possession alive.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Does a bear shit in the woods?

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I get that the buck stops with the head coach. I get that, but...

Marty didn't drop all those passes, fail to fall on the muffed punt, head butt, fail to knock the ball down on 4th down instead of intercepting and fumbling it back to the Patriots.

The Chargers lost, but hanging it on Marty is a GROSS oversimplification of what happened yesterday.

And if he is fired, he'll be unemployed about fifteen minutes.

Doc JS
    Last edited by Doc JS; 01-15-07 at 11:18 AM.

5teamparlay
    WINNING!!!
    5teamparlay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

Happy 69th Marty

Marty Schottenheimer
    Profession: Retired NFL Cocah
    Best Known For: A winner of 200 NFL games as a head coach, Marty Schottenheimer helmed the Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs, Washington Redskins and San Diego Chargers. He has the most wins of any coach in the Super Bowl era not to have coached in an actual Super Bowl.