70020 THE FIELD (ANY OTHER PLAYER) +500

trevor123698
    trevor123698's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 467

tavon austin is the play.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think you have to start with Geno Smith and EJ Manuel as the most likely to have the chance to make a big impact and get the media hype. Unfortunately, neither one has a lot of weapons to throw to, making it tough to stand out. Especially following the Luck/RG3/Wilson show last season.

Outside of QBs, you probably scratch the most of the receivers as not getting enough opportunities to put up a strong stat line. It's pretty rare for a rookie receiver to adjust to the pro level quickly enough to set themselves apart. The impact of Joekel & Fisher will be huge, but OTs have a tough time getting recognized.

A few of the RBs will be entrenched behind elite #1 backs, but Le'Veon Bell has a good shot at being the Steelers' #1 tailback this season as he's better than Dwyer. Between Lacy and Franklin, you're stuck with wondering if drafting these two guys represents a genuine shift in mentality to bring a significant rushing attack to Lambeau or if they'll be content with just adding a change of pace. I think the 51 sacks Rodgers took last season and the restructured OL make it a lot more likely that McCarthy will really give these guys a chance to prove themselves, and ultimately Franklin will win the #1 starting job. Franklin is a better pass protector and a little better in running screens, not to mention being less of an injury risk.

I don't think making any bets on this is smart until you start to see what's coming out of practices and preseason.
    Last edited by suicidekings; 05-28-13 at 01:13 AM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Boscoe, and slacker00

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    I think you have to start with Geno Smith and EJ Manuel as the most likely to have the chance to make a big impact and get the media hype. Unfortunately, neither one has a lot of weapons to throw to, making it tough to stand out. Especially following the Luck/RG3/Wilson show last season.

Outside of QBs, you probably scratch the most of the receivers as not getting enough opportunities to put up a strong stat line. It's pretty rare for a rookie receiver to adjust to the pro level quickly enough to set themselves apart. The impact of Joekel & Fisher will be huge, but OTs have a tough time getting recognized.

A few of the RBs will be entrenched behind elite #1 backs, but Le'Veon Bell has a good shot at being the Steelers' #1 tailback this season as he's better than Dwyer. Between Lacy and Franklin, you're stuck with wondering if drafting these two guys represents a genuine shift in mentality to bring a significant rushing attack to Lambeau or if they'll be content with just adding a change of pace. I think the 51 sacks Rodgers took last season and the restructured OL make it a lot more likely that McCarthy will really give these guys a chance to prove themselves, and ultimately Franklin will win the #1 starting job. Franklin is a better pass protector and a little better in running screens, not to mention being less of an injury risk.

I don't think making any bets on this is smart until you start to see what's coming out of practices and preseason.

Hope it's Franklin. Early reports have the Packers considering using him returning kicks. I can't imagine that happens if he wins the starting job, but if he doesn't he should get opportunities in the passing game and returning kicks. If he stays healthy he's got as good a chance as anybody.

vikingfan101
    vikingfan101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2096

If I had to choose it would be between Montee Ball and Jonathan Franklin. Two already solid teams who needed some additional help at RB. Wouldn't sleep on DeAndre Hopkins either. Gotta figure he puts up some big numbers, only real target on that team outside of Andre.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Montee Ball has a couple of things going for him. He's a perfect fit for the Broncos zone running scheme, given his skill-set and experience, and he's proven himself very durable, which McGahee/Moreno are not. He's also got good technique (pad level, patience) and vision.

Still, he's not very fast, he's not overly strong, and he's not going to explode out for big gains. He'll likely be competing for playing time with either McGahee or Moreno for touches (Probably unlikely that both stay on the roster, at $3M & $3.3M respectively) and even with the Broncos trying to improve their run game this season, I don't know that he'll be able to rack up the yardage or TD stats when Peyton has Welker/Thomas/Decker/Dreesen/Tamme on the field in key situations.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35459

Being a bills fan and listening to all the talk around here, it's quite possible kolb starts instead of Manuel, so, something to watch

bfour
    bfour's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5877

Montee Ball has a couple of things going for him. He's a perfect fit for the Broncos zone running scheme, given his skill-set and experience, and he's proven himself very durable, which McGahee/Moreno are not. He's also got good technique (pad level, patience) and vision.

Still, he's not very fast, he's not overly strong, and he's not going to explode out for big gains. He'll likely be competing for playing time with either McGahee or Moreno for touches (Probably unlikely that both stay on the roster, at $3M & $3.3M respectively) and even with the Broncos trying to improve their run game this season, I don't know that he'll be able to rack up the yardage or TD stats when Peyton has Welker/Thomas/Decker/Dreesen/Tamme on the field in key situations.
    I'm with you SK. Ball is the guy. Check out this Peyton quote:
    @JameyEisenberg: Peyton Manning on rookie RB Montee Ball: "We are going to count on him in a big way this year." #Broncos #fantasyfootball

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

... Le'Veon Bell has a good shot at being the Steelers' #1 tailback this season as he's better than Dwyer.
    ...I don't think making any bets on this is smart until you start to see what's coming out of practices and preseason.
    Great writeup. Bell +1500 looks like good value. With Pitts, he'll have every opportunity to show what he can do.