gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

Jason Taylor named Defensive Player of the year

Taylor takes AP Defensive Player honors

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer 17 minutes ago

DAVIE, Fla. - If Jason Taylor calls it quits, he'll leave at his peak. The
    Miami Dolphins' defensive end, who is contemplating retirement at age 32, was honored Friday as the league's defensive player of the year. Frustrated by a franchise-record five consecutive years out of the playoffs, Taylor said he's unsure whether he'll return next season.
    ADVERTISEMENT

"I don't want to create a drama," he said. "Let me get away for a while and recharge and get on the boat a little bit and spend some time with my kids. They'll probably drive me crazy enough to want to come back to work."

Taylor provided one of the few bright spots during the Dolphins' disappointing season. They lost 10 games to finish last in the AFC East, then lost their coach this week when Nick Saban bolted for Alabama, ending more than a month of speculation.

Through it all, Taylor thrived. He had 13 1/2 sacks, forced 10 fumbles, recovered two, intercepted two passes and returned both for scores.

"The award is about making plays that make a difference, and Jason certainly did that," said former Dolphins safety Dick Anderson, who won the honor in 1973. "He's a guy who changes the scope of the game. He's just a spectacular player."

Taylor earned 22 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters. Denver cornerback Champ Bailey received 16, and San Diego linebacker Shawne Merriman finished third with six.

Last week, Taylor said Merriman's candidacy was tainted because he missed four games for violating the NFL's steroids policy.

Chicago linebacker Brian Urlacher received four votes, followed by two
    Baltimore Ravens with one apiece, linebacker Ray Lewis and lineman Trevor Pryce. Urlacher won the award last year.

While the Dolphins stumbled to their third losing season since 1969, the defense ranked fourth in the NFL, thanks largely to their No. 99.

Taylor's 10th NFL season was his best, but he's unsure whether there will be an 11th. A career in acting beckons, and the father of three said family and wear on his body are considerations.

Then there's the Dolphins' playoff drought. Taylor has yet to play in an AFC championship game, much less the Super Bowl.

"Probably the toughest thing is the losing," he said. "I'd be lying if I said frustration didn't have a part in it — the disappointment and frustration and anger with losing. Sometimes you get to the point where you say enough is enough. ...

"I would trade in the award and every sack and every play I made, this season and for the last 10 years, to get a chance to go on and play here and in February."

Taylor said the choice of a new coach will influence his decision about his future. He was close to Saban and defended the coach, vilified in South Florida for leaving after he said he wouldn't.

"He made a decision to make a change, and I respect him for it," Taylor said. "I love coach Saban. I think he did a great job.

"I know he's getting lambasted in the media and by the fans. I don't have a problem with what he did. I think we all need to settle down a little bit and realize that life does go on."

Taylor enjoyed the roaming role he had in Saban's defense, sometimes lining up at linebacker or inside. The unpredictable scheme made it more difficult for blockers to double-team him, and with his speed and quickness, he won a lot of one-on-one matchups.

"He's probably the best defensive player I've ever played against," said Kansas City tackle Jordan Black, who then reconsidered his assessment. "There's no probably about it. He is."

Taylor said the first award he can remember winning was a junior-high karate trophy that he put on the mantle at home.

He'll savor the latest honor as well.

"This is special," Taylor said. "These are the pros, the best of the best. To be picked among those guys as the NFL defensive player of the year, it's awesome."
    I think this was a year where no single player really dominated defensively.

HAPPY BOY
    HAPPY BOY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 800

Taylor dominated defensively. he was unstopable, and if not for him the Dolphins woulda proably lost another 3 games IMO

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well deserved honor for him to win this award.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

I dont have a problem with Taylor winning this award. Maybe if Merriman didnt get suspended he would of won it, but Taylor is deserving of it.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

He had one hell of a season and is very deserving.