rcene
    rcene's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    I agree. I don't see the value of taking Smith so high. Maybe the guy turns out to be a superstar, wins multiple Super Bowls, and proves everyone wrong but I just don't have that feeling about him.
    Teams that make mistakes on qb's that high in the draft pay the price for years.

They never want to admit the mistake, and the losses pile up. Chip Kelly is an idiot if he believes drafting Smith at 4 is the right move.

Its a bad year to need a quarterback. Draft class is one of the weakest ever

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rcene View Post
    Teams that make mistakes on qb's that high in the draft pay the price for years.

They never want to admit the mistake, and the losses pile up. Chip Kelly is an idiot if he believes drafting Smith at 4 is the right move.

Absolutely.

See Russell, JaMarcus Oakland Raiders for proof.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Not true anymore with the new rookie wage scale......Atleast with regards to the salary cap

If a team is too dumb/stubborn to move on and admit their mistake well then I guess you're right, but that's just horrible management......But teams these days are not forced to keep high picks around due to the money like in years past

I actually think Geno Smith will be pretty good......very accurate, athletic, nice arm, doesn't turn the ball over much. Probably needs to go to a team with a great QB coach and learn a little before starting, but in the right situation I think he can be solid

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Not true anymore with the new rookie wage scale......Atleast with regards to the salary cap

If a team is too dumb/stubborn to move on and admit their mistake well then I guess you're right, but that's just horrible management......But teams these days are not forced to keep high picks around due to the money like in years past

I actually think Geno Smith will be pretty good......very accurate, athletic, nice arm, doesn't turn the ball over much. Probably needs to go to a team with a great QB coach and learn a little before starting, but in the right situation I think he can be solid
    Maybe. But is "solid" good enough to warrant the #4 pick in the draft?

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    Maybe. But is "solid" good enough to warrant the #4 pick in the draft?
    It all depends man......RG3 and Luck don't come around often

As a Jets fan I would take "solid" in a heartbeat

I personally don't think Philly "needs" a QB right now, but if Chip really thinks he can mold Geno into a franchise guy, I get it

rcene
    rcene's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post

What I meant by paying the price was not regarding money. It was regarding lost seasons.

Teams do not draft a qb that high and then give up on him after 1-2 years. Even when its obvious the player is a bust, the ego's involved with the coaches and gm's is such that they believe they will win if they surround the bust with more talent.

We completely disagree on Smith. He is getting attention for being the best of the worst.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

What I meant by paying the price was not regarding money. It was regarding lost seasons.

Teams do not draft a qb that high and then give up on him after 1-2 years. Even when its obvious the player is a bust, the ego's involved with the coaches and gm's is such that they believe they will win if they surround the bust with more talent.

We completely disagree on Smith. He is getting attention for being the best of the worst.
    Management that sticks with shitty qb's will end up getting fired, so that's their problem.....I'm just saying it's more forgiving these days to take a shot on a QB early IF you have the balls to admit the mistake, if it happens

What don't you like specifically about Geno Smith? He threw for a ridiculous 42 TD's/ 6 INT's with a 71% completion %.......Pretty ridiculous stats, in an offense that helps the QB but still...........He got much better every season and has a lot of experience starting....Also very athletic and can move well when he needs to. I don't think he's amazing or anything, but he's definitely a guy that has a good shot to make it with the right coaching. Anything he struggles with is fixable IMO, he has the tools to succeed

This QB class is not good, agreed

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Damn i'm starting to think Philly is a racist town.

Why do they always want a black QB???

Randall cunningham, Donovan McNabb, Mike Vick, and now Geno smith?????

Whats the matter with Foles???

he not black enough for the brothas in philly?

icancount2one
    Let's go NickFolian Dynamite!
    icancount2one's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 571

I think they would have traded Foles to KC (they wanted him before they went after Alex Smith) if they were planning on drafting Geno. Probably just doing their due diligence. Everything I've read about Geno Smith makes me think he will be a huge bust. Keep in mind, they gave a full work out to E.J. Manuel as well.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Smith sucks. He will be another bust.

Any team stupid enough to waste a high draft pick on him deserves what they get
    Yup. You don't waste a top 5 pick on a guy who will eventually be a backup within 2 bad starting seasons. Eagles need OL or LB in draft. They have plenty of talent at skill positions.

ch3ss
    i make it rain....
    ch3ss's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 376

I will put my .02 since I have season tickets for WVU and have seen him play the past 4 years...

He has gotten better ever year... I dont think he goes to the Eagles... I think he goes top 10 or he drops to the 20's...

His pro day work out with Weinke explained how solid of a qb he is... secondly this qb draft class blows.. thats why he will be the first qb taken...

Tavon Austin on the other hand is just filthy... ive seen alot of college football (live games) SEC, big 12, etc... ive never seen anyone as fast as him.... only person that reminds me of him being so shifty was Bush... a reggie bush clone...

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

Vick is a scrub now, he needs to be replaced. It won't matter anyways since Kelly's pace won't work in the NFL.

icancount2one
    Let's go NickFolian Dynamite!
    icancount2one's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 571

So Howie and Chip didn't blow it with the 4th pick, I hope they go defense with pick 35. Eagles fans, any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bubblebuttluv View Post
    Vick is a scrub now, he needs to be replaced. It won't matter anyways since Kelly's pace won't work in the NFL.
    Lets hope they replace him next year, or Foles works out with the awesome O-Line the birds will have this year (if Peters comes back at even 80%)

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

I've read we have 0 interest in geno. Apparently high on ertz, stanford te....not sure id want that, we need d line or this Jonathon cyprien (safety). Jesse williams, alabama nose tackle would be solid, if 9ers don't take him.

First 12