BennyFang
    BennyFang's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10582

What was the Rams' blueprint for success against Kapernick and the 49ers?

I'm mainly speaking to the Rams' defense. I watched neither game between the two and was looking for some insight from anyone who has. Looking at the stats, it looked like they didn't really shut Kapernick down but did force him into some miscues. Minus the fourth quarter of the game in SF, it looks like they played what was essentially 10 strong defensive quarters against SF. I was impressed that the Rams came back a couple of weeks after the tie and played another strong game against SF. Do the Falcons have the defensive personnel to successfully do whatever the Rams' defense did?

Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16702

No. The Falcons defense sucks. The big problem this week for Kaep will be as soon as it gets loud and if he doesn't use hand signals to call plays he will have to burn timeouts in the 1st and 3rd quarters.
    Last edited by Stallion; 01-14-13 at 10:27 AM.

BennyFang

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    No. The Falcons defense sucks. The big problem this week for Kaep will be as soon as it gets loud and if he doesn't use hand signals to call plays he will have to burn timeouts in the 1st and 3rd quarters.
    Gotcha.....thanks for the insight about the Rams' D in your response to my topic question. Interesting.

Kyle_Fitta
    Kyle_Fitta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Interesting question. The Rams have an athletic defense. Perhaps that has something to do with it. Or that it's a divisional rivalry. Even though they of course never seen Kapernick, they know his weapons as they see them twice a season. Divisional match ups are always weird. Sometimes it doesn't matter what the records are, divisional teams will play each other hard because they are so use to facing the opposing team and know what they are going to do. Or perhaps Kapernick had a bad game against the Rams and that was simply it. I'd have to watch the game to break it down of what they did. Jeff Fisher is also an oldschool, defensive coach and stopping someone like Kapernick is about (a) being disciplined and (b) doing your job.

Ultimately, I don't believe personnel has much to do with stopping a QB like him. I believe it's about a scheme and discipline. The Falcons have struggled doing so in the past against people like Colin, so I don't believe they will have the proper scheme to stop them. Yet again, I didn't believe they could stop Marshawn Lynch and they made him virtually a non factor
    Last edited by Kyle_Fitta; 01-14-13 at 10:32 AM.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

the Rams defense is 10 times better than the Falcons great line backers solid pass rush and 2 shut down corners. problem with the Rams is they cant score.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

The Falcons cant close out games...

cant fukking believe i didnt hedge my bet yesterday at halftime

i hate the falcons so bad right now

BennyFang

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    The Falcons cant close out games...

cant fukking believe i didnt hedge my bet yesterday at halftime

i hate the falcons so bad right now
    So true.....I typed this in a post about them last week:

Look for some no huddle from the Falcons Sunday to attempt to dictate tempo. I don't think they are going to want to slow the game down unless they are ahead multiple scores (which I think would be a mistake). I think it would be difficult for the Seahawks to keep up in a faster paced game....although that is certainly debatable. But make no mistake the Seahawks' offense has improved as the season has progressed and will be a challenge for the Falcons defense. The Falcons' secondary is underrated so it will come down to the Falcons not necessarily shutting down but containing the Hawks' running game (Lynch, Wilson).

This is 100% on the coach's approach to a game situation of playing conservative with a big lead. It's a great way to give a good team momentum. We saw the manifestation of that. The Falcons got a free lesson yesterday.