PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

LOL Eagles Are Interviewing Lovie Smith!

They didn't get who they wanted so now they are forced to look at retreads. Chicago's trash is going to be the Eagles treasure. What a bunch of incompetent buffons running the Eagles organization nowadays.

Unreal.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Lovie is a damn good coach. He's better than any other candidate out there right now (unless Gruden or Billick or Cowher jump into the discussion).

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by McBa1n View Post
    Lovie is a damn good coach. He's better than any other candidate out there right now (unless Gruden or Billick or Cowher jump into the discussion).
    He won 10 games and still got fired. Shows you what Chicago thought of him.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Lovie really has turned on me. I used to hate the guy as a bears fan up until this year. He was as bad as Andy Reid or anyone else with clock management. This year he finally seemed to get it, and the bears used their timeouts wisely.
    In years past he would call timeout, then challenge, losing two in the process, this happened multiple times.

I've always said he is great at getting his guys ready to play, and will still say that. At this point, his only major shortcoming is that he is incapable of making effective changes at the half. I see no reason for Chicago to have fired Lovie after this season. If Minnesota had lost to GB week 17, he would still have a job, and that stinks to high hell. I wish him the best of luck in all future endeavors, he deserves another shot as a NFL coach.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    Lovie really has turned on me. I used to hate the guy as a bears fan up until this year. He was as bad as Andy Reid or anyone else with clock management. This year he finally seemed to get it, and the bears used their timeouts wisely.
    In years past he would call timeout, then challenge, losing two in the process, this happened multiple times.

I've always said he is great at getting his guys ready to play, and will still say that. At this point, his only major shortcoming is that he is incapable of making effective changes at the half. I see no reason for Chicago to have fired Lovie after this season. If Minnesota had lost to GB week 17, he would still have a job, and that stinks to high hell. I wish him the best of luck in all future endeavors, he deserves another shot as a NFL coach.
    Because they haven't made the playoffs in 2 seasons.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Apparently Lovie was the one taking players out and causing severe injury issues year in and year out in Chicago. I didn't know that. Sounds like a pretty self-destructive person. Good thing the Bears got rid of him.

In all seriousness, I understand sometimes a change of scenery is needed. With that being said, Chicago's decision to get rid of Lovie perplexes me -- especially given the guys they've interviewed to replace him. A CFL coach? Singletary? Are you serious?

It's ironic that you said the Bears' trash may be the Eagles' treasure, because that's exactly right. Philly would be lucky to get Lovie Smith. The Bears' decision to fire him was hasty, ignorant and incredibly short-sighted given the hand he was being dealt with injuries year in and year out. The fact that you're trashing the idea means you've probably taken what the media feeds you and swallowed it whole.

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

not this shit again.....

tto827

Wow, two whole seasons, and he went what, like 17-7 or so when his starting QB was healthy. He got railroaded, I was one of the guys biggest critics, and even I know this wasn't fair to him. I will say one more bad thing about Lovie, his inability to find an offensive coordinator who can succeed in today's NFL. Give him one (or a 2nd NFL WR) and they'd have been damn good.

If Big Ben gets hurt next year halfway thru the season, are they going to fire Tomlin if they miss the playoffs?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Lovie is a good coach. Would be perfect fit for Eagles.

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Philly, question for you?

Who would you want besides Lovie?

You're trying to make some point about the Bears firing him, but Bill Belichick was 36-44 and fired as HC of the Browns. Pete Carroll was a disaster with the Jets.

Jon Gruden was fired, and Eagle fans wanted him.

John Fox was fired by Carolina, how's that working out in Denver?

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lovie will be a DC somewhere this season.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Wow, two whole seasons, and he went what, like 17-7 or so when his starting QB was healthy. He got railroaded, I was one of the guys biggest critics, and even I know this wasn't fair to him. I will say one more bad thing about Lovie, his inability to find an offensive coordinator who can succeed in today's NFL. Give him one (or a 2nd NFL WR) and they'd have been damn good.

If Big Ben gets hurt next year halfway thru the season, are they going to fire Tomlin if they miss the playoffs?
    Hey man, I ain't criticizing him. I'm just saying why they fired him. Their goal is the playoffs. They didn't make it so he had to go.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post

You're trying to make some point about the Bears firing him, but Bill Belichick was 36-44 and fired as HC of the Browns. Pete Carroll was a disaster with the Jets.

Sam

If I were the Eagles I would try to get Gus Bradley the DC for the Seahawks first at this point.

If I can't get him, call Jon Gruden. If not him, call Cowher.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Exactly.

You know who'd be a good candidate for the Bears' job? Lovie Smith.

The fact that they have no real direction and are considering up to a dozen candidates to replace him shows how dysfunctional and disorganized the organization truly is. Let's get rid of a successful coach and have no gameplan to replace him.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Exactly.

You know who'd be a good candidate for the Bears' job? Lovie Smith.

The fact that they have no real direction and are considering up to a dozen candidates to replace him shows how dysfunctional and disorganized the organization truly is. Let's get rid of a successful coach and have no gameplan to replace him.
    This is debatable. How can you call him a successful coach when the organization considers success by playoff standards and they didn't make the playoffs?

SamDiamond

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    Sam

If I were the Eagles I would try to get Gus Bradley the DC for the Seahawks first at this point.

If I can't get him, call Jon Gruden. If not him, call Cowher.
    Philly, you'd want a guy with no head coaching experience taking over a team with no qb, with all the pressure that comes with being the Eagles coach versus a coach who took his team to the Super Bowl?

Philadelphia is a brutal sports town. They would eat Gus Bradley alive.

And I don't understand the fascination with Gruden. I just don't. I think the Bears made a mistake firing Smith, and that will be obvious this year.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

This is debatable. How can you call him a successful coach when the organization considers success by playoff standards and they didn't make the playoffs?
    Extenuating circumstances.

You really think it's that black and white? Obviously if you follow the NFL, you know about the Bears' injury problems year in and year out, right?

SamDiamond

Come on now Philly.

Smith is 81-63 as a head coach (.563%). He has a higher winning percentage than Jon Gruden (.540%), the same guy you think is better suited for the Eagles.

tto827

Hey man, I ain't criticizing him. I'm just saying why they fired him. Their goal is the playoffs. They didn't make it so he had to go.
    Re-read your thread title bro. If you aren't criticizing him, why is it soooo funny that he is being interviewed for the job?

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Extenuating circumstances.

You really think it's that black and white? Obviously if you follow the NFL, you know about the Bears' injury problems year in and year out, right?
    In this instance, it was that black and white. He won 10 games and still got canned. What was he fired for? It was directly because they didn't make the playoffs.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Re-read your thread title bro. If you aren't criticizing him, why is it soooo funny that he is being interviewed for the job?
    "LOL Eagles Are Interviewing Lovie Smith" Where is the criticism?

Secondly, I was responding to your post in which it seemed you thought I was somehow attacking him. I wasn't. I was pointing out why he was fired.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Come on now Philly.

Smith is 81-63 as a head coach (.563%). He has a higher winning percentage than Jon Gruden (.540%), the same guy you think is better suited for the Eagles.
    Gruden is a Super Bowl winner and Smith can't get into the playoffs.

tto827

In this instance, it was that black and white. He won 10 games and still got canned. What was he fired for? It was directly because they didn't make the playoffs.
    Exactly. Is it fair that he got fired because of the outcome of a game (Packers/vikings) which he had no control over? Ya he could have won one more game, but still.

tto827

"LOL Eagles Are Interviewing Lovie Smith" Where is the criticism?

Secondly, I was responding to your post in which it seemed you thought I was somehow attacking him. I wasn't. I was pointing out why he was fired.
    If there is no criticism, then please explain what is funny about the situation?

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Exactly. Is it fair that he got fired because of the outcome of a game (Packers/vikings) which he had no control over? Ya he could have won one more game, but still.
    No, it's not but that isn't the point of view of the organization. This is a business. When a team misses the playoffs they miss out on many millions of dollars.

SamDiamond

Gruden is a Super Bowl winner and Smith can't get into the playoffs.
    Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl.

So did Mike Ditka. You and I could have coached the 1985 Bears to the SB win with that defense.

I think you could make a case for Gruden being the worst Super Bowl winning coach simply by looking at what happened to the Bucs and the SB win. Remember, Gruden inherited a loaded TB team.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl.

So did Mike Ditka. You and I could have coached the 1985 Bears to the SB win with that defense.

I think you could make a case for Gruden being the worst Super Bowl winning coach simply by looking at what happened to the Bucs and the SB win. Remember, Gruden inherited a loaded TB team.
    I think you're being unfair. Remember, when Gruden won that Super Bowl, the two teams playing for it that year, the Bucs and Raiders, were both his teams. The Raiders coach at that time, Bill Callahan, inherited that team from Gruden, who was the coach of the Raiders the year before.

SamDiamond

I think you're being unfair. Remember, when Gruden won that Super Bowl, the two teams playing for it that year, the Bucs and Raiders, were both his teams. The Raiders coach at that time, Bill Callahan, inherited that team from Gruden, who was the coach of the Raiders the year before.
    My point is, some luck is required to get that win. Marv Levy and Bud Grant never won Super Bowls, but there are both 10x the coach that Barry Switzer is.

While Smith didn't get the ring, he did get his team to the Super Bowl.

Smith won 29 games the last 3 years.

The Eagles would be lucky to get him.

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19456

there were several times that when I watched the Bears and Lovie Smith, I would scratch my head and think what the hell was wrong with the HC!

In L Smith's defense,
    he had Ron turner as an OC for a while when that offense was terrible
    Jay Cutler seems a little bit volatile
    Bears Defense was very good

If I was Philly, I would look at some assistants, college coaches, that kind of thing

Lovie Smith should probably go be a DC or something like that, then get back into head coaching eventually

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

My point is, some luck is required to get that win. Marv Levy and Bud Grant never won Super Bowls, but there are both 10x the coach that Barry Switzer is.

While Smith didn't get the ring, he did get his team to the Super Bowl.

Smith won 29 games the last 3 years.

The Eagles would be lucky to get him.
    I don't think so. As the Bears fan in this thread pointed out, he is bad at clock management. Something which he would get criticized unmercifully here for. On top of that, he had a good team in Chicago and couldn't get them to the playoffs. How is he expected to take a bad team up?

On top of that, he is great defensively. A defensive guru. The flip side is that he is utterly clueless on the offensive side of the ball. Do you know what that would get him in this city? A boot up his ass.

frizzelli
    frizzelli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I love homosexuals who start threads by using LOL, quit spamming pt already.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by frizzelli View Post
    I love homosexuals who start threads by using LOL, quit spamming pt already.
    We always knew you were gay.
    Points Awarded:

slacker00 gave PhillyFlyers 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

darrell74

Lovie Smith is bad for Philadelphia-he's too much of a bullshitter also.

This is what Philadelphia needs:
    a guy who can speak the truth and not be a bullshitter,
    a guy who is gonna be straight up honest, and be transparent,
    a guy who will take a verbal pistol whipping from the media because they are going to continue to lose while rebuilding, and their are certain parts of Philadelphia that can't accept that
    a guy that can get the team to believe in a direction and stop being a bunch of divas

darrell74

A guy I like that I think the Eagles should try to get is a guy like the Miami Dolphins head coach, Joe Philbin.

If you look at Miami: rebuilding, not a lot of diva attitude, transparent coach, the team was competitive throughout the year and look to get better
    Philbin isn't a bullshitter

But then again, Philly is not Miami.
    In Miami, they just don't show up if you can't win.
    In Philly, they show up alright, and make you feel miserable if you continuously lose

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by darrell74 View Post
    Lovie Smith is bad for Philadelphia-he's too much of a bullshitter also.

This is what Philadelphia needs:
    a guy who can speak the truth and not be a bullshitter,
    a guy who is gonna be straight up honest, and be transparent,
    a guy who will take a verbal pistol whipping from the media because they are going to continue to lose while rebuilding, and their are certain parts of Philadelphia that can't accept that
    a guy that can get the team to believe in a direction and stop being a bunch of divas
    Barack Obama?

12 Last