Phatman36
    Phatman36's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Quote Originally Posted by steady hustlin View Post
    Your missing an important detail: It will be loud when Seattle is on offense, and significantly more quiet when they are on defense. Century Link Field pays their team the same respect that any other knowledgeable professional sports stadium does, and when their home team is on offense, they try to be quiet too. You sir, while you may not be dumb, are being dumb here. One more thing, ever notice the signs they are showing now: "Quiet please, home team on offense, etc."
    I get the difference between home and away but the point of a loud crowd is to unsettle the defense/offense and build momentum. What I guess I am saying here is, don't be surprised if the hawks aren't really fazed by loud noise considering they have heard it week in and week out coming from Century Link (Yes it is a little different, but not enough to be a game deciding factor against the Seahawks IMO.)

BennyFang
    BennyFang's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10582

Quote Originally Posted by GoCougs! View Post

I hear there are still 11K seats available. ATL should be embarassed. That is truely pathetic.
    According to the local paper here, the game is sold out.

NOboy
    NOboy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Phatman36 View Post
    I must say that I love how people are commenting on the sound of a stadium as part of their argument against the hawks. Ever hear of Century Link Field, didn't think so if you were dumb enough to mention the sound of a stadium in part of your argument. Also, please use Clemons' injury as an excuse to go all in on Atlanta. He had 11.5 sacks, and he is being replaced by the rookie Bruce Irvin who has 8 sacks, leading for a rookie this season. What does Atlanta offer against Seattle's run game? Oh right, nothing.
    losing clemons is HUGE! irvin is not an every down player like clemons. irvin is a pass rusher that received the benefit of clemons being double teamed on passing downs to allow him to get to the passer. you're ignorant if you think otherwise. seattle's d line is already thin with the loss of jason jones a few weeks ago. not saying this is the end all be all, but its HUGE

No1DraftPick
    No1DraftPick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 950

This is my take:

Everyone on Seattle's nuts. No one on Falcons. Sea just played a tough physical game, lost one of their best defenders. Also a very "emotional" game to fly to the east coast and gut out a win after being down 14-0. Now they are on their 2nd straight east coast trip plus it is an early game at that.

Atl has everyone doubting them. They are HOME after a week of rest and preparation. They are completely healthy. vs a Rookie QB (although an extremely talented one). Seattle may be more physical but the Falcons WR's and TE will just be too much for them.

My Plan: Wait until this weekend, if ATL is -1 or less bet them straight up. If ATL is -3 or more tease them with O/U (have to do more research into that). I feel like this is the spot for Sea to lose, the question is by how much?

good luck to all.

thefastship
    thefastship's Avatar Become A Pro!

The game is sold out and has been sold out. Ticketmaster might release special sections that usually are reserved for half time performers(marching bands) during regular season. Side note, Atlanta fans get LOUD when the opposing team is on offense and that results in false starts. It also results in th burning of timeouts and delay of games. ANY TEAM playing in a dome has this advantage.

rockhardfister
    rockhardfister's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Its not about Seattle. They have a great team and a bright future. Atlanta was going to bust any team they played in the first round (Vikings, Redskins or Hawks). Its just the way it is...and yeah they will stop Lynch just like they have whenever they wanted to this year. Lynch wont break 80 yards.

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

I must say that I love how people are commenting on the sound of a stadium as part of their argument against the hawks. Ever hear of Century Link Field, didn't think so if you were dumb enough to mention the sound of a stadium in part of your argument. Also, please use Clemons' injury as an excuse to go all in on Atlanta. He had 11.5 sacks, and he is being replaced by the rookie Bruce Irvin who has 8 sacks, leading for a rookie this season. What does Atlanta offer against Seattle's run game? Oh right, nothing.

Big shocker...the Huskie guy likes Seattle. Irvin is good but Atl is going to run right at him and try to wear his skinny a$$ down. I've also seen it with Dwight Freeney....where he runs right past the draw play cause he wants the sack and they didn't even have to block him. I also can't believe you don't understand the quiet on offense....raise hell on defense homefield advantage.

Pickem2win
    Pickem2win's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4912

Quote Originally Posted by rockhardfister View Post
    Its not about Seattle. They have a great team and a bright future. Atlanta was going to bust any team they played in the first round (Vikings, Redskins or Hawks). Its just the way it is...and yeah they will stop Lynch just like they have whenever they wanted to this year. Lynch wont break 80 yards.
    LMAO!! Let me get this straight--the Falcons allow an average of almost 400 yards per game and now, during the 2 weeks between the reg season and the playoffs are going to figure out how to play defense??
    I think what EVERY Falcon fan has to be terrified of is the fact that they dont have a running game and rely on the pass....The Seahawks have the best secondary in all of the NFL. HOW ON EARTH IS ATLANTA GOING TO MOVE THE BALL DOWNFIELD?

Phatman36

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Handicapable View Post
    Big shocker...the Huskie guy likes Seattle. Irvin is good but Atl is going to run right at him and try to wear his skinny a$$ down. I've also seen it with Dwight Freeney....where he runs right past the draw play cause he wants the sack and they didn't even have to block him. I also can't believe you don't understand the quiet on offense....raise hell on defense homefield advantage.
    I do get homefield advantage, but did you watch the game last week? They can play elsewhere, noise clearly isn't as much of a factor as people are making it out to be. Also, please feel free to tell me how Atlanta (Number 21st in run defense in the NFL, playing almost no run heavy teams other than the Redskins and TB plans to stop the number 2 RB + Russell Wilson from shredding their field.)

freakydave
    freakydave's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

Quote Originally Posted by Pickem2win View Post

LMAO!! Let me get this straight--the Falcons allow an average of almost 400 yards per game and now, during the 2 weeks between the reg season and the playoffs are going to figure out how to play defense??
    I think what EVERY Falcon fan has to be terrified of is the fact that they dont have a running game and rely on the pass....The Seahawks have the best secondary in all of the NFL. HOW ON EARTH IS ATLANTA GOING TO MOVE THE BALL DOWNFIELD?

I do get homefield advantage, but did you watch the game last week? They can play elsewhere, noise clearly isn't as much of a factor as people are making it out to be. Also, please feel free to tell me how Atlanta (Number 21st in run defense in the NFL, playing almost no run heavy teams other than the Redskins and TB plans to stop the number 2 RB + Russell Wilson from shredding their field.)
    Ding Ding Ding 2 guys who see that atlanta's problem is their D.
    They played the cupcakiest of cupcake schedules & their D is ranked 21st vs the rush & 23rd vs pass.
    Now look at denver in the afc.They played the cupcakiest of cupcake schedules & their D is ranked 3rd & 3rd

I am not saying Atlanta can't win because it's only one game.I just can't find any reason to back them.

detroitlionsfan
    detroitlionsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!

seattle is so much stronger than atlanta

pussy boy matt ryan wont know what hit him

rockhardfister

LMAO! How do they have the best secondary in the league? Maybe its because you play against the shitty Rams, 49ers and and the pathetic Cardinals passing game 2x a year! Give Ryan a pocket and a little time and your getting taken apart. You need not worry about how we are going to score because its our secondary and our defense that will shine on Sunday. Cant wait to see Wilson and Carrol's post press conference interview. Start thinking about draft brother, your future is bright.

rockhardfister

The more the week goes on, the more I hear that the match-up between Roddy, Julio, & Gonzo is not a good one for Atlanta. It started out as a good match-up and then has evolved into a tough match-up and then seems to have evolved into a bad match-up for Atlanta....

Well who has Seattle stopped this year?
    NE - Brady passed for 395 & 2 TDs
    Det - Stafford passed for 352 & 3 TDs
    Chi - Cutler passed for 233 & 2 TDs (Marshall caught 165 Yards)

The only passing offense that they have really stopped seems to be GB where Rogers only passed for 223. Do you really count the 49ers, Cardinals and Rams as passing teams...that is 6x games.

So what makes us think they can stop Ryan to Julio and/or Ryan to Roddy and/or Ryan to Gonzo.

With all the talk about the secondary, I dont think you stop ATL with your secondary. If you want to slow down Atlanta, you have to press Ryan in the middle of the pocket. That is the only thing we have seen that can slow down this passing attack. With Clemons out, I think he will have time. Other than Clemons, they really dont have anyone who puts pressure on the QB. Now they can clog the middle against the run, but we can't do that anyway.

I predict Ryan throws for over 300 yards and at least 3 TDs.

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

Should be a good game.....but as a Hawks fan I think the Falcons will win. I do feel better about the Seahawks chances after seeing the line open at ATL -1 though.

Phatman36

Quote Originally Posted by rockhardfister View Post
    The more the week goes on, the more I hear that the match-up between Roddy, Julio, & Gonzo is not a good one for Atlanta. It started out as a good match-up and then has evolved into a tough match-up and then seems to have evolved into a bad match-up for Atlanta....

Well who has Seattle stopped this year?
    NE - Brady passed for 395 & 2 TDs
    Det - Stafford passed for 352 & 3 TDs
    Chi - Cutler passed for 233 & 2 TDs (Marshall caught 165 Yards)

The only passing offense that they have really stopped seems to be GB where Rogers only passed for 223. Do you really count the 49ers, Cardinals and Rams as passing teams...that is 6x games.

So what makes us think they can stop Ryan to Julio and/or Ryan to Roddy and/or Ryan to Gonzo.

With all the talk about the secondary, I dont think you stop ATL with your secondary. If you want to slow down Atlanta, you have to press Ryan in the middle of the pocket. That is the only thing we have seen that can slow down this passing attack. With Clemons out, I think he will have time. Other than Clemons, they really dont have anyone who puts pressure on the QB. Now they can clog the middle against the run, but we can't do that anyway.

I predict Ryan throws for over 300 yards and at least 3 TDs.
    I have my doubts of seeing Ryan getting 3 TDs after seeing the home game 23-20 win over the oakland raiders when Ryan threw 3 picks. Hey while we have Arizona on topic wanna talk about how Ryan threw 5 picks there? I hope he keeps up the trend and makes it an EASY Seattle victory.

Feel free to continue bashing our defense when Richard Sherman is one of the best corners in the NFL. Better hope Browner is still rusty because he's your only shot of getting the ball out deep. And by the way, don't try to belittle our schedule by talking about Arizona and the Rams. I don't even want to begin to waste page space belittling yours.

PS: Still waiting on one of these Atlanta fanboys to tell me how Atlanta plans on stopping the Seahawks run game.

Barnes & Whine
    Punch through the media!
    Barnes & Whine's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 722

Pretty Boy Matt Ryan will throw 4 picks and Seattle will win, but Atlanta will score the games first Touchdown, just as Washington did last week. There's your prop and winner. Cash it.

Pickem2win
    Pickem2win's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4912

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy88 View Post
    Should be a good game.....but as a Hawks fan I think the Falcons will win. I do feel better about the Seahawks chances after seeing the line open at ATL -1 though.
    I truthfully dont see how the Falcons win.
    The game that I think the Seahawks will loose is to the Packers (assuming they beat the 49ers which I think they will).

k4cowboys4k
    k4cowboys4k's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by NOboy View Post
    losing clemons is HUGE! irvin is not an every down player like clemons. irvin is a pass rusher that received the benefit of clemons being double teamed on passing downs to allow him to get to the passer. you're ignorant if you think otherwise. seattle's d line is already thin with the loss of jason jones a few weeks ago. not saying this is the end all be all, but its HUGE
    This guy knows what he's talking about, Clemons is a huge loss for the Seahawks.

rockhardfister

I have my doubts of seeing Ryan getting 3 TDs after seeing the home game 23-20 win over the oakland raiders when Ryan threw 3 picks. Hey while we have Arizona on topic wanna talk about how Ryan threw 5 picks there? I hope he keeps up the trend and makes it an EASY Seattle victory.

Feel free to continue bashing our defense when Richard Sherman is one of the best corners in the NFL. Better hope Browner is still rusty because he's your only shot of getting the ball out deep. And by the way, don't try to belittle our schedule by talking about Arizona and the Rams. I don't even want to begin to waste page space belittling yours.

PS: Still waiting on one of these Atlanta fanboys to tell me how Atlanta plans on stopping the Seahawks run game.
    This sounds like bullshit but this team brings its A game (this year) when it matters. However being a Falcon nut huger you have to know your teams limit...so here's how ATL can lose this game:

1. Be predictable on offense and run Turner up the middle and put Ryan in 2nd and 3rd until we get behind. Leads to 3 and outs or worse, sacks and INTs. Thats why we hired Dirk as our OC and got rid of Mularky. If this happens its because Mike Smith shits himself and goes conservative.

2. Leon Washington gets a special teams TD or some huge returns.

3. We don't spy Wilson and he gashes us all day. Wilson was sacked 5x time last week. I expect William Moore or Weatherspoon will get that mission.

I did not mention the turn over battle or Lynch factor as I believe Nolan will take care of Lynch.

Your team has a chance. This is the Falcons after all. I just have a feeling this year is different and the conditions are favorable.

calmeat
    calmeat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1849

Wide Receiver Trg Rec Yds TD % Slot F Pts Wide Receiver Trg Rec Yds TD F Pts
    Titus Young 9 9 100 2 7% 22.0 Calvin Johnson 7 3 46 0 4.6
    Wes Welker 14 10 138 1 74% 19.8 Brandon LaFell 3 3 44 0 4.4
    Brandon Marshall 12 10 165 0 15% 16.5 Steve L. Smith 11 4 40 0 4.0
    Davone Bess 8 7 129 0 57% 12.9 Greg Jennings 9 6 35 0 3.5
    Miles Austin 9 5 63 1 63% 12.3 Michael Crabtree 5 4 31 0 3.1
    Andre Roberts 6 5 54 1 41% 11.4 Santana Moss 4 3 19 0 1.9
    Danny Amendola 8 5 53 1 71% 11.3 Jordy Nelson 3 2 19 0 1.9
    Ryan Broyles 4 3 37 1 65% 9.7 Dez Bryant 7 3 18 0 1.8
    Brandon Lloyd 12 6 80 0 7% 8.0 Brian Hartline 5 2 17 0 1.7
    Earl Bennett 3 1 12 1 60% 7.2 Randy Moss 3 1 14 0 1.4
    Larry Fitzgerald 9 4 63 0 14% 6.3 Percy Harvin 6 2 10 0 1.0
    Jeremy Kerley 7 5 57 0 59% 5.7 Randall Cobb 2 1 -1 0 -0.1
    James Jones 6 5 55 0 6% 5.5
    Chris Givens 3 1 52 0 14% 5.2
    Pierre Garcon 6 4 50 0 12% 5.0

Just a little chart to show WR production VS Seattle

BennyFang

We can go all day singling out bad performances by players, they all have them......likewise, we can discuss the teams that both birds didn't play.

The fact that the Falcons don't have much of a running game is negated by the fact that they are at home. They are on the playing surface they are accustomed to. A running game will override an adverse condition such as one would see in the playoffs.....raucous crowd, weather, etc. Conversely, at home where they will easily be able to check off at the LOS, the Falcons can get by with less of a balanced offense much of the time. No one has slowed their passing game down this year. Regardless of how good a single DB is, they will not be able to shut down all of the Falcon "big three" receivers in the game. Simply put, they cannot double White, Jones, and Gonzalez. One will have single coverage; whoever that one is will win most of those battles. Otherwise, the Falcons would be playing 8 on 5 if all three are doubled. Any NFL offense can succeed in that situation against any NFL defense. Seahawks know that is not a viable option. The only legitimate way to negate this is by putting pressure on Ryan to prevent him from going through his progressions.....that's where losing Clemons is a big blow for them. Given that, a key will be the Seahawks' ability to generate an interior pass rush. The Falcons are susceptible to that. Ultimately, the biggest factor will be the Falcons getting TDs, not FGs, in the red zone where they can't stretch the field and a running game becomes more important.

Look for some no huddle from the Falcons Sunday to attempt to dictate tempo. I don't think they are going to want to slow the game down unless they are ahead multiple scores (which I think would be a mistake). I think it would be difficult for the Seahawks to keep up in a faster paced game....although that is certainly debatable. But make no mistake the Seahawks' offense has improved as the season has progressed and will be a challenge for the Falcons defense. The Falcons' secondary is underrated so it will come down to the Falcons not necessarily shutting down but containing the Hawks' running game (Lynch, Wilson).

An X factor may very well be the Seahawks' kicking game. I heard that they signed Longwell to kick this weekend. Is this true? If so, they are getting a guy past his prime with limited range who hasn't kicked in game situations this season.

I lean to the Falcons up to -3. Anything juiced at -3 or over would make it a no play.
    Last edited by BennyFang; 01-09-13 at 09:41 AM.

NOboy
    NOboy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes they signed longwell

freakydave
    freakydave's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

Quote Originally Posted by BennyFang View Post
    We can go all day singling out bad performances by players, they all have them......likewise, we can discuss the teams that both birds didn't play.

The fact that the Falcons don't have much of a running game is negated by the fact that they are at home. They are on the playing surface they are accustomed to. A running game will override an adverse condition such as one would see in the playoffs.....raucous crowd, weather, etc. Conversely, at home where they will easily be able to check off at the LOS, the Falcons can get by with less of a balanced offense much of the time. No one has slowed their passing game down this year. Regardless of how good a single DB is, they will not be able to shut down all of the Falcon "big three" receivers in the game. Simply put, they cannot double White, Jones, and Gonzalez. One will have single coverage; whoever that one is will win most of those battles. Otherwise, the Falcons would be playing 8 on 5 if all three are doubled. Any NFL offense can succeed in that situation against any NFL defense. Seahawks know that is not a viable option. The only legitimate way to negate this is by putting pressure on Ryan to prevent him from going through his progressions.....that's where losing Clemons is a big blow for them. Given that, a key will be the Seahawks' ability to generate an interior pass rush. The Falcons are susceptible to that. Ultimately, the biggest factor will be the Falcons getting TDs, not FGs, in the red zone where they can't stretch the field and a running game becomes more important.

Look for some no huddle from the Falcons Sunday to attempt to dictate tempo. I don't think they are going to want to slow the game down unless they are ahead multiple scores (which I think would be a mistake). I think it would be difficult for the Seahawks to keep up in a faster paced game....although that is certainly debatable. But make no mistake the Seahawks' offense has improved as the season has progressed and will be a challenge for the Falcons defense. The Falcons' secondary is underrated so it will come down to the Falcons not necessarily shutting down but containing the Hawks' running game (Lynch, Wilson).

An X factor may very well be the Seahawks' kicking game. I heard that they signed Longwell to kick this weekend. Is this true? If so, they are getting a guy past his prime with limited range who hasn't kicked in game situations this season.

I lean to the Falcons up to -3. Anything juiced at -3 or over would make it a no play.
    I stopped reading right there -that's just silly
    home field adv for Atl negates the fact they don't have a run game??? that's a bad premise to build a theory off.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

The fact that the Falcons don't have much of a running game is negated by the fact that they are at home. They are on the playing surface they are accustomed to. A running game will override an adverse condition such as one would see in the playoffs.....raucous crowd, weather, etc. Conversely, at home where they will easily be able to check off at the LOS, the Falcons can get by with less of a balanced offense much of the time.
    No it won't. 92ypg @ 3.9ypc at home against opponents that allow an average of 118ypg vs 83ypg @ 3.5ypc on the road against opponents that allow 114ypg. They're slightly better running at home, but still bad. Look a little deeper and they got held to under 85 yards 10 times, and three of the games (SD, @PHI, NYG) where they went over 100 were blowouts that were over early so they ran more to eat clock. That leaves only three games this year where they were actually able to establish an effective run game.

No one has slowed their passing game down this year. Regardless of how good a single DB is, they will not be able to shut down all of the Falcon "big three" receivers in the game. Simply put, they cannot double White, Jones, and Gonzalez. One will have single coverage; whoever that one is will win most of those battles. Otherwise, the Falcons would be playing 8 on 5 if all three are doubled. Any NFL offense can succeed in that situation against any NFL defense. Seahawks know that is not a viable option. The only legitimate way to negate this is by putting pressure on Ryan to prevent him from going through his progressions.....that's where losing Clemons is a big blow for them. Given that, a key will be the Seahawks' ability to generate an interior pass rush. The Falcons are susceptible to that. Ultimately, the biggest factor will be the Falcons getting TDs, not FGs, in the red zone where they can't stretch the field and a running game becomes more important.
    Browner/Sherman vs White/Jones on the outside will be a back and forth battle all game. The Falcons receivers will gain yardage on a few big plays, but the Seahawks really excel at preventing those big plays from being taken all the way to the endzone, so ultimately I think the Falcons will look pretty good on offense between the 30s and struggle to convert at the end of the field. Where the Falcons can really hurt the Seahawks is in the slot with Harry Douglas as they've been weaker in protecting the middle of the field against good slot receivers (ie: Welker/Austin/Amendola). I would expect the Seahawks to be very aggressive in hitting the receivers at the line early in the game to try to prevent Ryan from getting into rhythm after 2 weeks off. I also don't think Browner/Sherman will be afraid to take an unnecessary roughness penalty early if they get the chance to land a savage hit on Jones/White. Anything to send a message early.

I will be shocked if Lynch doesn't run for 100+ yards in this game, on the strength of a couple of big cuts. The Falcons defensive line is decent, but like I said above, they're weak in stopping the run. One of my biggest criticisms of the Falcons defense is that they're not great tacklers. They're much better at breaking up plays as they're developing than quickly converging on a ball-carrier that's already in motion. Lynch is exactly the kind of RB that can cause problems for them because he'll power right through the arm tackles. With him as the focal point at the line, Wilson will have multiple opportunities to break out of the pocket and run, just like Cam Newton did against the Falcons this year (202 yards @ 11.2ypc in 2 games). I can't really see the Falcons being able to force the Seahawks into playing one-dimensionally, and that's going to make it really tough for their defense to hold up for the whole game.

I'll be worried when he kicks his first FG, expecially if it's 40+, because he's probably rusty, however he didn't lose his job because he couldn't kick anymore. He just had to give way to a very good rookie. Added to that, playing in the dome negates weather issues, and Seattle really doesn't kick that many FGs (especially long FGs). They have such a solid punt team that they can often rely on playing the field position game, but are also one of the more aggressive teams on 4th down as well. I suspect Longwell will only be asked to make 1-2 FG attempts in this game, and probably nothing over 45 unless it's late in a low-scoring, tight game.
    Last edited by suicidekings; 01-09-13 at 03:53 PM.

BennyFang

Quote Originally Posted by freakydave View Post
    I stopped reading right there -that's just silly
    home field adv for Atl negates the fact they don't have a run game??? that's a bad premise to build a theory off.
    Fair enough, I'll phrase it in a different manner. The Falcons' home field advantage is more pronounced than many teams, not as much because of the advantage of having home field as the disadvantage of being away from home. I know for a fact that it is much harder to efficently operate a passing game in adverse conditions....crowd noise, weather, etc....than a run first or more balanced offense. The Falcons would not stand a chance in Seattle, SF, or GB....they'd be at least 7 point dogs at all three.

In summary, they can get away with having a pass oriented offense playing at home. Home field advantage is the only way that team can hope to get to the Superbowl.

Your thoughts?

BennyFang

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    No it won't. 92ypg @ 3.9ypc at home against opponents that allow an average of 118ypg vs 83ypg @ 3.5ypc on the road against opponents that allow 114ypg. They're slightly better running at home, but still bad. Look a little deeper and they got held to under 85 yards 10 times, and three of the games (SD, @PHI, NYG) where they went over 100 were blowouts that were over early so they ran more to eat clock. That leaves only three games this year where they were actually able to establish an effective run game.

Browner/Sherman vs White/Jones on the outside will be a back and forth battle all game. The Falcons receivers will gain yardage on a few big plays, but the Seahawks really excel at preventing those big plays from being taken all the way to the endzone, so ultimately I think the Falcons will look pretty good on offense between the 30s and struggle to convert at the end of the field. Where the Falcons can really hurt the Seahawks is in the slot with Harry Douglas as they've been weaker in protecting the middle of the field against good slot receivers (ie: Welker/Austin/Amendola). I would expect the Seahawks to be very aggressive in hitting the receivers at the line early in the game to try to prevent Ryan from getting into rhythm after 2 weeks off. I also don't think Browner/Sherman will be afraid to take an unnecessary roughness penalty early if they get the chance to land a savage hit on Jones/White. Anything to send a message early.

I will be shocked if Lynch doesn't run for 100+ yards in this game, on the strength of a couple of big cuts. The Falcons defensive line is solid in attacking the passer, but like I said above, they're weak in stopping the run. One of my biggest criticisms of the Falcons defense is that they're not great tacklers. They're much better at breaking up plays as they're developing than quickly converging on a ball-carrier. Lynch is exactly the kind of RB that can cause problems for them because he'll power right through the arm tackles. With him as the focal point at the line, Wilson will have multiple opportunities to break out of the pocket and run, just like Cam Newton did against the Falcons this year (202 yards @ 11.2ypc in 2 games). I can't really see the Falcons being able to force the Seahawks into playing one-dimensionally, and that's going to make it really tough for their defense to hold up for the whole game.

I'll be worried when he kicks his first FG, expecially if it's 40+, because he's probably rusty, however he didn't lose his job because he couldn't kick anymore. He just had to give way to a very good rookie. Added to that, playing in the dome negates weather issues, and Seattle really doesn't kick that many FGs (especially long FGs). They have such a solid punt team that they can often rely on playing the field position game, but are also one of the more aggressive teams on 4th down as well. I suspect Longwell will only be asked to make 1-2 FG attempts in this game, and probably nothing over 45 unless it's late in a low-scoring, tight game.

All great points....I mostly agree. IMO, bottom line is that the Falcons must convert in the red zone....however they do it.....to the point that it takes the Seahawks' running game out of play by the second half. They will have to do this by being aggressive early....no huddle and maybe some gimmickry.

Surprises me that the 49ers or someone else didn't pick up Longwell. A handful of teams passed him up during the season.

I'll have to say that your responses just convinced me to lay off this game completely unless I make a live or halftime play. BOL
    Last edited by BennyFang; 01-09-13 at 04:06 PM.

uvarunthetable
    uvarunthetable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3474

I'm taking ATL small personally-- I like them being at home (duhh) and also think the fact that this game has to be played at 1:00 eastern is really bad for Seattle (especially a week after an east coast road trip)

DirtyBird1500
    DirtyBird1500's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

The Seahawks played nine bottom 20 pass offenses. Everyone wants to talk about the Falcons easy schedule. Well ok then the Seahawks had the easiest pass schedule in the league.

Here is the rankings of the pass offenses they played.

28th
    3rd
    9th
    18th
    16th
    4th
    23rd
    2nd

And here is where they became the "hottest" team in the league

31st
    30th
    26th
    29th
    28th
    25th
    23rd
    18th

They didn't play a single pass offense in the TOP 18 over the 2nd half of the season. They faced, on average, the 26th ranked pass offense over the 2nd half of the season while facing Christian Ponder, Mark Sanchez, Ryan Tannehill, Jay Cutler, Ryan Lindley, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Colin Kaepernick and Sam Bradford. Not a single top 15 QB in there.

suicidekings
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBird1500 View Post
    Not a single top 15 QB in there.
    Kaepernick is a top 15 QB. But otherwise, I agree with this.

DirtyBird1500
    DirtyBird1500's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    Kaepernick is a top 15 QB. But otherwise, I agree with this.
    You're right, he is. My mistake.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by adila1401 View Post
    If you actually think Seattle CBs are going to be too physical for ATL WRs, you are delusional..Roddy White was a state wrestling champ, he thrives against physical corners..Julio Jones is a beast, he destroyed Browner last time they played..Clemens is supposedly injured which will give ATL chance to help McClure and Konz in the middle where ATL has been struggling in protection...Key is that today's game was very physical for both teams..ATL with all the doubts and disrespect will be hungy to win their first playoff game and I expect their crowd to be raucus...Dirty Birds win this one for sure
    Good info. I just checked and Matt Ryan did well against SEA in '11 and '10, winning both IN SEA.

suicidekings
    Update your status

You're right, he is. My mistake.
    Of the top QB's Seattle faced, the Seahawks mostly held them under their season averages in terms of passing efficiency.

Brady: 6.7 yppa (avg 7.6)
    Stafford: 6.8 yppa (avg 6.8)
    Rodgers: 4.7 yppa (avg 7.8)
    Newton: 3.7 yppa (avg 8.0)
    Kaepernick: 6.4 yppa (avg 8.3)
    Romo: 6.2 yppa (avg 7.6)

Cutler and Tannehill had better days, but I don't consider them top QBs. Stafford also probably doesn't deserve to be included either. Either way though, the top guys all underperformed against this Seattle defense relative to the level at which they're expected to play, both in their own performance and in how they were able to convert total offense into points (other than Stafford). Ryan averages 7.7 yppa, but he's got a tough challenge ahead of him.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Ryan had 6.93 yppa last year in SEA. He seems to have some good experience against this SEA defense.

suicidekings
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    Ryan had 6.93 yppa last year in SEA. He seems to have some good experience against this SEA defense.
    Yeah's he's fared pretty well against the Seahawks in 2 career games. Seattle has been steadily improving defensively over the last 2 years though. I really don't think he hits his season average in this game, but I don't think it's unreasonable to predict he should be just under 7 yppa for ~275 yards on 28/40 passing, and maybe 85 yards of run support.

I suspect Atlanta will try to establish the run early so if the Seahawks can win at the line early without getting caught over-pursuing Ryan in the pocket, Seattle can put a lot of pressure on him to make some big throws to sustain drives.

rockhardfister

The Seahawks played nine bottom 20 pass offenses. Everyone wants to talk about the Falcons easy schedule. Well ok then the Seahawks had the easiest pass schedule in the league.

Here is the rankings of the pass offenses they played.

28th
    3rd
    9th
    18th
    16th
    4th
    23rd
    2nd

And here is where they became the "hottest" team in the league

31st
    30th
    26th
    29th
    28th
    25th
    23rd
    18th

They didn't play a single pass offense in the TOP 18 over the 2nd half of the season. They faced, on average, the 26th ranked pass offense over the 2nd half of the season while facing Christian Ponder, Mark Sanchez, Ryan Tannehill, Jay Cutler, Ryan Lindley, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Colin Kaepernick and Sam Bradford. Not a single top 15 QB in there.
    Nobody is interested in truth. Lets not get the facts confused with their own perception of reality.

First 1234 Last