sarasmith
    sarasmith's Avatar Become A Pro!

A few general NFL questions from a Brit

Lived in the states for 3 years, back in the UK now and still love football, easily my favourite sport. Just have a couple of q's regarding how things are done:

1. All the talk of how much the Jets would have to pay if they cut Sanchez or even find a trade partner. $8.25 million I think. Could Sanchez not just say "I know I've sucked this season and I'm already filthy rich so just keep the money and find me a a new team". Sure he'd be losing out on a lot of money but it would do his public perception the world of good.

2. Draft question, can players not just tell the draft to get fukked and sign with whoever they please? I'm thinking last season, could Luck not just have said I'm not going to enter the draft, then signed with San Fran under his old coach Jim Harbaugh? If you say no then what is the difference between that and an NFL exec coming to the UK and seeing a soccer player with a huge leg and signing him as a kicker, no draft involved there, guy could sign with whoever he pleases.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

I will answer the first question. No chance of this happening. NFL sn't like other sports and players tend to have shorter careers. Very few contracts are guaranteed and teams can just "cut" players. A player knows if he has a guaranteed contract regardless of the case he will get paid and Sanchez with his stock falling will never get that kind of money from another team again. Makes absolutely no sense to leave that much money on the table. Public perception doesn't mean shit and most players could care less what public thinks about them.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3353

AS for question #2 not sure of the legal issues, but both Eli Manning and John Elway refused to play for teams that wanted to draft them. So if you have enough power you can force a team's hand.

BoutDemCowboys
    BoutDemCowboys's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3124

1. Would never happen, and Sanchez isn't necessarily "Filthy Rich"

2. No Idea why I havent thought about that aspect... I'm sure there is an appropriate answer for it but I have not a clue! Like the question! Sorry I couldnt answer.

Anyone have a clue? for #2?

BoutDemCowboys
    BoutDemCowboys's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3124

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    AS for question #2 not sure of the legal issues, but both Eli Manning and John Elway refused to play for teams that wanted to draft them. So if you have enough power you can force a team's hand.
    Very true.... Eli was a whinny little bitch entering the draft! "But I dont wannna go to San Diego!" "Dont you know my brother is Peyton and my dad is Archie!?"

Obviously that wasnt quoted from Eli, but thats what he made it out to be!

Wasn't aware of Elway... Good call!

Does anyone have an answer?

sarasmith
    sarasmith's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess in Sanchez case he could say well just give me half what I'm owed. But at the end of the day a contracts a contract.

I knew a bit about the Eli Manning draft thing but didn't San Diego and the Giants make a trade or switch places or something? I'm talking about just flat out refusing to have anything to do with the draft. I guess it would set a big precedent as any high draft picks who thought they could start right away on elite teams would just go to them rather than having to suffer in Cleveland or Carolina. I'm sure Luck would much rather have signed with the 49ers under his college coach and had a shot at a Super Bowl his 1st season, The colts were so bad last year I think maybe even he's surprised with their current record.

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

good questions...i think there is some rule in place concerning NCAA football players and not being able to deny a team from drafting them. you either enter the draft the year after finishing your college football career or you have to wait 3 years to be signed. in other words, Luck could not have told the draft to go "f" itself because he would have had to delay his career for 3 more years. don't quote me on that but i believe it is something to that effect