Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    I have no problem with him having a pic. It's not often you have a couple of 4 ft long receipts. No harm in documenting it.

It's certainly much classier than the idiots that post pics of their 100k plus bar tabs.
    Or Mayweather posting photos holding thousands that he will just blow on dumb shit because his ego needs to be fed.

imadegen
    imadegen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9093

Quote Originally Posted by onacloud View Post
    White people do this every day you fool

Andre put up 19k which is great but that is NOTHING compared to what Manning does

As for Manning's donation, a hospital source said to look in the neighborhood of $50 million. That's what Mel Simon donated to get his name on the Clarion Cancer Center, a project about the same size as Peyton Manning's Children's Hospital.

why are you making this an argument and trynna turn something positive into something negative?

rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    Kraken.....my point is, you don't see the majority of society who lives in the low to middle class go running to media outlets everytime they give a random act of kindness!

If I were in Andre's shoes....I GUARANTEE YOU I would deny putting my name on the charity, and deny pictures showing how great of a person he is because he has a few 4 foot long receipts. Just give the money, be humble and keep the dang thing quiet.

What is it about Americans that need instant recognition and gratification......LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME! You get the point.
    I get what you're saying, but I think part of the reason that the pictures were taken was so that they could be used to encourage others to donate. If someone reads an article or sees a news story about what Andre (or any other big name person) donated, and that story obviously includes the name of the charity, people might feel like donating. Its about getting people in the spur of the moment, feeling that holiday giving attitude, and it draws very positive attention to the charity. While there are many great and worthy charities out there, how many people do you think donate to ones for children in protective custody? I would assume its not all too many.

Not trying to argue or anything stupid like that, just saying how I interpreted the desire to have the photo spread (whether it was his charity's reps, a store rep, a random shopper, whoever)

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

Cool stuff

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

Quote Originally Posted by rsnnh12 View Post
    I get what you're saying, but I think part of the reason that the pictures were taken was so that they could be used to encourage others to donate. If someone reads an article or sees a news story about what Andre (or any other big name person) donated, and that story obviously includes the name of the charity, people might feel like donating. Its about getting people in the spur of the moment, feeling that holiday giving attitude, and it draws very positive attention to the charity. While there are many great and worthy charities out there, how many people do you think donate to ones for children in protective custody? I would assume its not all too many.

Not trying to argue or anything stupid like that, just saying how I interpreted the desire to have the photo spread (whether it was his charity's reps, a store rep, a random shopper, whoever)
    I can see things from this side as well. I just hope its solely for the right reasons. Since I dont know AJ.....I have to believe its for the right reasons, without a personal agenda.

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

If I were in AJ's shoes I'd take the pictures then use them to challenge other people to do the same.

Who's to say something of this nature isn't being done?

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Only here can something nice to be blown up into something negative.

defineentvinny
    defineentvinny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 476

come on i gotta be the one to say it, ONLY $19,000? muahahahaa.... but good story!

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

I love the fact that the morons in here act like AJ is all about getting notoriety....he's probably one of the quietest superstars in the NFL and would probably get a lot more endorsements if he was a loudmouth trying to hype himself. The guy barely tweets and never boasts when he does. I'd suspect that he probably does a lot more than this and also probably wants to spread the word about this because he happens to be proud of what he did....good for him....who fukkin cares?
    Points Awarded:

swordsandtequila gave InTheDrink 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

DudleyDawson
    DudleyDawson's Avatar Become A Pro!

hear enough bad things pro athletes do

it's great to hear stories like this

guy is a class act

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Andre is a good guy and it is doubtful he did this for any self promotion. If anything it seems that it might help inspire Andre and Texan fans to go out and do something charitable for those less fortunate. Andre is usually a quiet guy that leads by example and hopes more people follow suit.

Lguizar12
    Lguizar12's Avatar Become A Pro!

That's awesome!

DudleyDawson

it is our obligation as Americans to donate to charities

there is no better feeling than donating to the Salvation Army or St. Judes or any other worthy charity

coop
    coop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

Let's not be delusional about this, whether he does this every year under the radar and is a fukkin saint, the guy has multiple national sponsors including Jordan. The documentation of this specific charity work was clearly instructed, if not orchestrated, by people that get paid to boost his image.

He or any other big name athlete do not do anything off the field that is not put together by a manager/agent/handler.

The only athlete I could see doing this on the fly would be Ocho Cinco, but that's mainly because he is a master of using social media to promote himself.

DudleyDawson

Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post
    Let's not be delusional about this, whether he does this every year under the radar and is a fukkin saint, the guy has multiple national sponsors including Jordan. The documentation of this specific charity work was clearly instructed, if not orchestrated, by people that get paid to boost his image.

He or any other big name athlete do not do anything off the field that is not put together by a manager/agent/handler.

The only athlete I could see doing this on the fly would be Ocho Cinco, but that's mainly because he is a master of using social media to promote himself.

who gives a fukk?

needy people were helped out, that's all that matters

you cynical fukks get sickening

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why are the pictures so bad?

1) NFL players do a lot of bad things to get themselves into the news, so it's in the NFL's best interest to show the good acts too. It's all one big PR balancing act for them.
    2) Public figures that give to charity encourage others to do so. For every guy that's saying "I already give $XXX every year", there's another one that sees AJ and donates to a charity for the first time, or increases his commitment. People like to help others, but often need a little nudge.

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

And he beat up the villain Cortland Finnagan. He's a superhero.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by 8ArIvd5 View Post
    And he beat up the villain Cortland Finnagan. He's a superhero.
    It's actually Courtland Innegan....

....because AJ beat the F out of him

Justin3587
    Justin3587's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 450

Andre put up 19k which is great but that is NOTHING compared to what Manning does

As for Manning's donation, a hospital source said to look in the neighborhood of $50 million. That's what Mel Simon donated to get his name on the Clarion Cancer Center, a project about the same size as Peyton Manning's Children's Hospital.
    Don't be an ass. Oprah Winfrey has donated around 380 million to charities. And Im white, so this racial bullshit is ridiculous. Donations are donations. Doesn't matter if you are white or black. Doesn't matter how much you donate. Helping is helping. God damn some of you simple minded fukks need to get a grip.
    Points Awarded:

Monitor-Tan gave Justin3587 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

nikossf
    I dont play at SHIT books
    nikossf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

and did Manning take any pictures with his receipts showing how much he donated???

darkhat
    darkhat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

I have donated to many charities in the past

given away money to such charitable organizations as 5Dimes, Heritage, BetIslands, and some others
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: InTheDrink

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    I can see things from this side as well. I just hope its solely for the right reasons. Since I dont know AJ.....I have to believe its for the right reasons, without a personal agenda.
    He helped out some kids in need, who gives a fck why he did it or what you think. When have you donated to anyone besides your bookie. How you of all people who constantly whines about how you lost this much money and your wife is gonna kill you, blah blah blah etc...can cast any negative judgement on someone who just donated 19K is laughable. Some of you guys are ridiculous and probably haven't donated or helped out anyone in need, yet sit and make a good story into a negative any way you can. Sad lives you live if your first thought is to turn this into something other than what it is, a nice gift to people who need it.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: DudleyDawson

DudleyDawson

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    He helped out some kids in need, who gives a fck why he did it or what you think. When have you donated to anyone besides your bookie. How you of all people who constantly whines about how you lost this much money and your wife is gonna kill you, blah blah blah etc...can cast any negative judgement on someone who just donated 19K is laughable. Some of you guys are ridiculous and probably haven't donated or helped out anyone in need, yet sit and make a good story into a negative any way you can. Sad lives you live if your first thought is to turn this into something other than what it is, a nice gift to people who need it.
    well said

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Good post cuse...funny like you said gamblers on here can even say anything when they pIss money away

I swear some posters would find fault in saving someone out of a burning building

Duff85
    Getting ready for Japball
    Duff85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4007

Charity starts at home. This is where Andre earns his money, this is where it should be spent. In my opinion....
    Interesting that you have this opinion Opie. I've been thinking the same thing, hence I haven't donated through SBR to help out in America (a first world country with tons of resources). I definitely am going to make a donation to Make A Wish this year in Australia (which is my local area). Outside of that what do you think about making donations to the third world like starving kids in Africa?

BigDaddy
    BigDaddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 729

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    Would have liked this better if he just did it, instead of taking pictures with receipts.

agree

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6495

Cortland Finnegan 10x>>> Andre Johnson

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

Good man.

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

Would have liked this better if he just did it, instead of taking pictures with receipts.
    agreed

TobiasFunke
    Never Nude
    TobiasFunke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 46

I have no problem with him having a pic. It's not often you have a couple of 4 ft long receipts. No harm in documenting it.

It's certainly much classier than the idiots that post pics of their 100k plus bar tabs.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

If this were an NBA player we'd have to question they were simply toys for his own children spread around cities from the schedule.

Nice job from a Texan though.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by darkhat View Post
    I have donated to many charities in the past

given away money to such charitable organizations as 5Dimes, Heritage, BetIslands, and some others
    so wait....you mean to tell me these are 501c3 organizations and that i could have used as writeoffs?

MiAMiEDDY
    MiAMiEDDY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1499

Do you say the same thing about rappers thar rock diamond encrusted jesus pieces?

MiAMiEDDY
    MiAMiEDDY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1499

Do you say the same thing about rappers that rock diamond encrusted jesus pieces?

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13200

Regardless of the picture, Andre Johnson is everything that's right with the NFL. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this that it wasn't a pub grab. Where did the picture even come from? It could have been some fan on reddit for all we know.

With that being said I am definitely taking a pic of my donation to Goodwill at the end of the year and posting that shit on SBR.

First 123 Last