zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

Quote Originally Posted by Tully Mars 63 View Post
    Yeah I owned a small construction business, me and one employee. One Christmas I was installing a new floor in a bar (only day they closed) and I realized I'd done the same thing the year before just for a different bar. I checked over my dayrunners and realized I hadn't had a day off in well over two years. The state offered me the early out, sold the business to my employee (have no idea why he didn't just wait for me to leave then buy some power tools and a van, but... whatever.) Drove OTR for a while, 6 month+/-, and next thing I know I'm living on a beach in Mexico.

I have two older dogs, which is partly why I chose Mexico. Once they pass which a fear will be soon I may travel as much as my budget allows. I've found if you go native and find cheap flights you can check out almost anywhere.

Unless you just love to work I'd suggest everyone retire as soon as they possible can. Living aboard is one way to help with the cost. I live here for just under grand a month. That includes everything- housing (on the beach) insur.- home/auto and health. Elect. Phones/interent, land and cell, food and beer.
    whaaaaat? under a grand a month?? for all insurance, phone, food ect. that is absolutely insane especially with a house on a beach. just doesn't sound possible. that is a dream. your in cancun, mexico or a different part of mexico? ever fear for your safety?

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

i thought you said you were a parole officer? now you said you owned your own company with one employee. im confused.

Tully Mars 63
    Tully Mars 63's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 44

Quote Originally Posted by zoo youk View Post
    whaaaaat? under a grand a month?? for all insurance, phone, food ect. that is absolutely insane especially with a house on a beach. just doesn't sound possible. that is a dream. your in cancun, mexico or a different part of mexico? ever fear for your safety?
    Well I have a deal with the houses owner (didn't buy here, too many weird laws for non-nationals for me) where I'm 1/2 house sitting and 1/2 renting. It's 3 bed/4 bath, large pool (25X12 and 8ft in the deep end) and beach front. I can see the cruise ship pier from me house. My rent, depending on the peso/dollar rate is about 550 and includes elec. I had to install my own A/C's- was about 2k. I have a friend who rents a small house two blocks from the beach and it's 220 a month. I have a package insurance plan that covers everything home/auto/health for 2220 year, it's good insurance and I've used it a couple times- no rate increase so far. I have a package for my land line/internet/iPhone with TelMex/TelCel that runs me $80. My home internet is suppose to be 10mbps, it's more it 5-6. I get my TV through a group of Canadians with Shaw Direct. We have one account and dishes/boxes in 5 houses. So TV with HD, HBO and Showtime is $27, I just pay it by the year. Cooking gas and water probably costs less then 10 a month. If I go over a grand it's because I went diving for a few days or went out to dinner more then once a week. Here a decent meal is easily found for 15-20 with a drink or two included. I took my GF, her mom, brother, sister-in-law and her sister out to a decent dinner, think TGIF only Mexican. The total costs was $80 and we ate, we drank and it was good.

Cancun? No, I live in the state of Yucatan near the port of Progreso. I can and do for diving, babe watching, partying drive to Cancun. It takes about 3 1/2 hrs. Yucatan has the lowest crime rate in Mexico. A few years ago it's capitol, Merida, according to the CIA fact book had the lowest crime rate for any city in North America with a population over a million people. Lower than any large city in the US or Canada. In fact one of the reasons I picked this place was when I came to check it out I left my wallet in a beach front restaurant and the waiter chased me down the street to return it. Cancun can be dangerous if you get away from the resorts. Here the rumor, which I believe due to some higher level police friends of mine, is the drug cartels have called this area "off limits" and they have a lot of family living here. I also believe it because I see Bentleys, Jags, upper end Benz and other high end cars almost daily. I thought about living south of Cancun until I saw the rental rates. You'd need about 3-4K a month to live there off the beach on the beach maybe 5-6K, unless you could find a deal like I have. But food, entertainment and everything else would still cost you more... a lot more. I spent a 10 days in Playa del Carmen in August with my GF. We spent most of our time in an all inclusive resort, the El Dorado Royal- pretty nice. But went out a couple nights. One night we had a nice dinner and then to a club, Coco Bongo's. That one night easily costs me over 400 bucks.

If you have other questions feel free to PM me anytime.

quantifyTHAT
    quantifyTHAT's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anybody that doesn't realize what Harbaugh does to the referees is an idiot. No different than what Pop does in the NBA. He keeps the refs honest. Any 9er fan complaining about Harbaugh is a retard.

Tully Mars 63
    Tully Mars 63's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 44

Sorry there's a difference between keeping them honest and just being a pain in the ass. Part of the reason it bothers me is it's quite possible it gets to the point to where they just stop taking him serious. "Yeah, yeah big surprise he bitcin'... again, play ball."

First ... 3456