Sportsgirl
    Sportsgirl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

Sportsgirl's "It's not so easy being straight-up" column/picks

Here's this week's thoughts/picks/game

http://citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.d...D=200661103027

Patriots’ defense may be the key against Manning and the Colts

The hype is on. All week long it’s been Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady. With all the media play around those two, you’d think it was a boxing match rather than a team event.

For the sake of good conversation, let’s assume the rest of the members of the Indianapolis Colts and the New England Patriots will have some impact on the result of their Sunday night matchup. And for the sake of even better conversation, let’s say the real focal point of the game is the defense.

For Indy, its defense is sitting down there at No. 12 in the AFC. The Colts have given up 2,348 total yards, 1,175 rush and 1,173 passing. Just two yards separate their pass defense from their rush defense, so things are looking pretty even for the Pats’ offensive opportunities.

New England’s defense is ranked ninth in the AFC and has given up 2,079 yards, 548 rushing and 1,531 passing. Things are looking tough for the Colts’ already not-so-proficient rushing game. Taking a look at the points each defense has allowed, Indy’s takes another hit, having been scored on to the tune of 153 points, while New England has given up only 87 points.

New England comes into this game with a 6-1 record, suffering a 17-7 loss to Denver; Indy is the only undefeated team in the league at 7-0 but had a close call against Denver last weekend and a surprising 14-13 nail-biter against Tennessee.

If defense wins games, then it looks like New England’s day. If you’re still looking at the QB matchup, my money is always on the guy with the Super Bowl rings. … PATRIOTS.

Cincinnati at Baltimore: Could it be the answer to Baltimore’s woes on offense was with them all the time? Head coach Brian Billick took over play-calling duties and led the Ravens to a 35-22 win over New Orleans in the Superdome last weekend. With Cincy continuing to have trouble finding its way offensively and the always tough play of the Baltimore defense, it looks as if I’ll have to make friend Terry happy and pick the … RAVENS.

Minnesota at San Francisco: Injuries and travel might be the keys in this game, as Minnesota took quite a beating from New England on Monday night. A short week and a trip out west could mean a win for the … 49ERS.

Dallas at Washington: The Cowboys will look to build on the success of new QB Tony Romo after a 35-14 bashing of Carolina. The ’Boys hit the road again, this time to put a little hurtin’ on Washington. … COWBOYS.

The rest of the games:

Miami at Chicago

Atlanta at Detroit

Houston at N.Y. Giants

Green Bay at Buffalo

Kansas City at St. Louis

Tennessee at Jacksonville

New Orleans at Tampa Bay

Denver at Pittsburgh

Cleveland at San Diego

Monday's Game

Oakland at Seattle

Last week 8-6; overall, 70-44.

This is the opinion of Nancy Allen, who can be reached at 232-5845 or nallen@CITIZEN-TIMES.com

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like the the other side in that Tampa Bay/N.O. game and in that Denver/Steelers game.

Sportsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    I like the the other side in that Tampa Bay/N.O. game and in that Denver/Steelers game.
    Always gotta be comin' down hard on my Steelers, don'tcha

bigboydan

Well, they are playing pertty bad as of late

Sportsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    Well, they are playing pertty bad as of late

I think "they" is a rather harsh generalization

primo_skillz
    primo_skillz's Avatar Become A Pro!

These are straight up, correct?

gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

I'm guaranteeing a Cincinnati victory this week.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by primo_skillz
    These are straight up, correct?
    Yes sir they are.

goldengoat
    goldengoat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsgirl
    I think "they" is a rather harsh generalization
    i agree

it's more like him

little ben

Sportsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by gummo
    I'm guaranteeing a Cincinnati victory this week.
    Joe?