McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Jets got hosed today

It had to be said.
    They may not have won the game, however, Baker would've stayed in bounds had he not been hit.
    I would've liked to see them have a chance with the game tied. They battled hard - plus it was a pretty good game, anyway.
    It should be noted that the result only hurt my bet in the BTP contest, so my bias is pretty limited.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

I was 0-3 on the day with the Browns my top play, so I needed that game to have a shot of getting close to even, which I did with Dallas later that night.

That said, you're right. He likely would have landed inbounds if not pushed. I don't like the NFL force out rule in general unless the receiver's two feet are about to come down.

When both defender and receiver are jumping for the ball, there's going to be contact. Why should the receiver have the right to land perfectly with no contact on the end line when the contact is legal once the receiver touches the ball The offense shouldn't be rewarded for running a play that close to out of bounds.

But, according to the current rules and the tons of times we've seen that play, it should have been a TD.

Quote Originally Posted by McBa1n
    It had to be said.
    They may not have won the game, however, Baker would've stayed in bounds had he not been hit.
    I would've liked to see them have a chance with the game tied. They battled hard - plus it was a pretty good game, anyway.
    It should be noted that the result only hurt my bet in the BTP contest, so my bias is pretty limited.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

They are butchering the replays, in both college and NFL. If they cant get it right while looking at it in slow motion, then just get rid of replay altogether.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

The problem with the Baker TD catch was that the ruling is not reviewable, as it's a 'judgement' call and can be subjective. Even under review, it's subjective.

You can't review whether he was going to land in or out of bounds - only if he made the catch - and within catch guidelines. The officials have to determine whether he was forced out and could have made the catch in bounds.

It was just a very bad call by the official that was standing RIGHT THERE.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

It was a very bad call because it's blatantly obvious on replay that he would have had both feet in. I would think that instant replay would be ideal for making decisions on push outs. The officials should concentrate on whether the catch is made, and then go to the replay to determine whether or not he would have gotten the feet in.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Those officals in the replay booth must have got there jobs out of a crackerjack box or something. They never seem to get it right even with the video tape evidence stairting right in front of them.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Actually, as McBa1n poited out, force outs are not reviewable, so this was not the fault of the judges in the booth. Even with video evidence that the receiver would have come down in bounds, the booth officials could not stop the game to review the play because it was a judgement call by the ref, albeit a very BAD one.