joeyd2232
    joeyd2232's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

hedge for freeplay

Would you make a small play on the opposite team if you were in first for the weekly Heritage football contest?

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

Unless the amount you are going to win is life changing you are usually make a mistake by hedging out...

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I still disagree with decisions not to hedge for the most part. I don't understand what the mistake is in guaranteeing yourself a profit regardless of the outcome.

I do agree there are situations where hedging makes little sense. If you're in a two team parlay, you obviously shouldn't be hedging on a second selection - but if you're talking about the end leg of a larger parlay or something where the payout is nice [nice is different for everyone] - I think not hedging is a mistake. You don't have to show everyone you have brass balls by going for a big payout. Show 'em you have a brain instead. Gambling is a grind to make money. Very few "hit it big" with a large play and keep that profit. It will certainly happen, but most people are going to win their profits from a series of winning bets with solid money management strategy.

Probably telling how much the payout is will help people offer [at least the sane ones] some realistic advice. If anyone is a dick about what your payout is, fukk 'em. Money is money.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Typically hedging is -EV, because for a hedge opportunity to present itself, you are locked in at better odds than what are currently being offered so by hedging you give that away.

That being said, there are times to hedge, definitely in life changing situations, the other ones are your call.

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    I still disagree with decisions not to hedge for the most part. I don't understand what the mistake is in guaranteeing yourself a profit regardless of the outcome.

I do agree there are situations where hedging makes little sense. If you're in a two team parlay, you obviously shouldn't be hedging on a second selection - but if you're talking about the end leg of a larger parlay or something where the payout is nice [nice is different for everyone] - I think not hedging is a mistake. You don't have to show everyone you have brass balls by going for a big payout. Show 'em you have a brain instead. Gambling is a grind to make money. Very few "hit it big" with a large play and keep that profit. It will certainly happen, but most people are going to win their profits from a series of winning bets with solid money management strategy.

Probably telling how much the payout is will help people offer [at least the sane ones] some realistic advice. If anyone is a dick about what your payout is, fukk 'em. Money is money.
    Although not really relevant in the case of the OP (since he is on a freeroll) if you make a bet that you will feel the need hedge out later making that large of a bet is probably your real mistake... As tto stated the second bet is almost always going be -EV (forced bet on something that contradicts the position you liked originally) so in the long run you are giving up equity (money) to lock up that short-term "profit"...