lid73
    lid73's Avatar Become A Pro!

Betting Units

I know a considerable number of people who bet on line, and they all tend to follow the following pattern. It doesn't really matter that much with a local who does everything at -110, but may have a considerable impact on your bankroll, and necessary winning percentage otherwise. Even with a local, your thinking must be adjusted to properly calculate your necessary winning percentage.

Here is the deal, when somebody bets a ML or spread at -110. They say they are betting 1 unit (assume a unit is $100 for the sake of simplicity). Typically, this means they are risking 110 to win 100.

However, when they bet at +110, let's say on a small money line, they bett 100 to win 110.

I think this is an incorrect strategy. The key to sports gambling is managing your risk exposure on any given bet. That being said, you should control your unit as the amount risked. Not the amount won.

By betting 110 when paying juice on a favorite, but only betting 100 when getting plus money (you are still paying juice, but that is a topic for another thread), you are giving up about $11 in winnings if you had bet $110. This may not be big in any single bet, but it adds up.

The way I calculate my unit is based upon a percentage of my bankroll. Once I figure out the unit size, that is the amount I risk on any given bet. So, for example, if my unit was $100, at -110 I would risk $100 to win 90.9. At +110, I would risk 100 to win 110.

Curious to see how you guys do this, and what your thought process is regarding this.

Italia_NYC
    Italia_NYC's Avatar Become A Pro!

Insightful post lid.

Truth is; I usually have so much action on Sunday that I do it the old fashion way. I have a bankroll that I begin with every football season. If at the end of the week that bankroll has increased, I know I did well; and vise-versa. LOL....laugh if you will, but that is the god's honest truth.

lid73
    lid73's Avatar Become A Pro!

Italia:

I used to be much the same way. However, I hated not knowing where my money was going. Once I started keeping better records, and disciplined myself a little more, I found my win percentage increase considerably, from about 54% to around 60%. Not only that, but (most importantly) my profit level increased. I just feel like selecting unit size is a key component that many otherwise great handicappers pay very little attention to.

kalmikrazy
    kalmikrazy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

I always risk 1000 to win 909 (in standard -110). I am not a believer in risking 1110 to win 1000. Alot of times I will buy points and do not like risking that extra juice. Alot of times even when I buy points I can still end up paying -110 since I use Pinny most of the time. If I dont get the same line as my capper I will buy. As far as units, about 95% of my plays have been for the same amount so far. Only had 1 step up play all football season and that was Alabama +11.5. I really dont like much action. I play only about 7-10 plays a month which is the amount he releases. I will still watch all the games for sure.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

I typically risk the units myself, but that's because I bet dogs 95% of the time.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like to bet the doggies myself owned.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Look up Kelly Criterion. With the same edge, you'll risk more on favorite MLs, and less on dog MLs than on a standard -110 play.