Sportsgirl
    Sportsgirl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

sportsgirl's 1022 picks column

http://citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.d...D=200661020020

It's been fun seeing some of you playing the picking game against my column ... especially this week since no one beat me

Good luck to all this week!!!

The Colts are forgotten and still unbeaten

Doing a little light NFL reading this week, I came across an article titled, “Forgotten Colts” and it got me thinking. The Colts are one of only two remaining unbeaten teams in the NFL, (Chicago being the other) yet, it seems, no one is talking about them.
    Quite the contrast to last season when the Colts cruised to a 13-0 start and a 14-2 season, and the media was buzzing around them. Team members say they are glad to be “flying under the radar,” but are they really?
    The Colts have had successful seasons beyond the 14-2 mark of last year, earning 12-4 records in 2004 and 2003. Unfortunately for the Colts and their fans, their success always seems to lead to disappointment. Last season’s 14-2 run got them a bye and then a playoff loss to Pittsburgh – certainly not what anyone would have predicted from a team that at Week 13 was undefeated. A second round playoff loss to New England in 2004 and a Conference Championship loss to those same Patriots on 2003, round out Indy’s futile attempts to make it to the Super Bowl.
    Perhaps, the reason no one is talking about the 5-0 start of Indy is that we’ve become all to accustom not only to the way it starts, but also to the way it ends.
    Indy hosts Washington this week and there’s no reason to think the Colts’ regular-season story will change. … COLTS.
    Carolina at Cincinnati: The Bengals’ Chad Johnson led the AFC in receiving yards last season with 1,432, this season he has just one TD catch (Sept. 17 against Cleveland) and has yet to record a 100-yard game. After two losses without him, Carolina is 4-0 with the return of receiver Steve Smith. Look for Smith to improve to 5-0 on the season. … PANTHERS.
    Detroit at the N.Y. Jets: I wanted to pick the Lions. The Jets have been inconsistent all season and with RB Curtis Martin out, the offense falls on the shoulders of QB Chad Pennington. Still, Detroit has only one win this season and pulling another one out on the road to the Meadowlands had me thinking … JETS.
    N.Y. Giants at Dallas: The NFL EAST rivals are both 3-2. The Cowboys 3 wins came against Washington, Tennessee and Houston. Need I say more? … GIANTS.
    The rest of the games with the picks in bold:
    Green Bay at Miami
    Pittsburgh at Atlanta
    Jacksonville at Houston
    New England at Buffalo
    San Diego at Kansas City
    Philadelphia at Tampa Bay
    Denver at Cleveland
    Minnesota at Seattle
    Arizona at Oakland

Last week: 12-1; overall: 56-31.
    This is the opinion of Nancy Allen, who can be reached at 232-5845 or nallen@CITIZEN-TIMES.com.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Colts won't cover, they may not even win. They barely beat Tennesse and the Jets. Washington's been up and down, but should be able to run the ball well and control the clock. They will keep this one close.

Checkerboard
    Checkerboard's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14473

. . . agreed durito . . . like MIA pick.

gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

I agree with you on the Panthers. Bengals have lots of question marks this season and can't seem to straighten out the o-line. I think Philly wins and Buffalo upsets this week, though.

Sportsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by gummo
    I agree with you on the Panthers. Bengals have lots of question marks this season and can't seem to straighten out the o-line. I think Philly wins and Buffalo upsets this week, though.

Buffalo upsets, huh? Against New England at this time of the season, that's a tough one. Philly may pull it out, but I like the new QB in Tampa.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by durito
    Colts won't cover, they may not even win. They barely beat Tennesse and the Jets. Washington's been up and down, but should be able to run the ball well and control the clock. They will keep this one close.
    I don't think they will cover either bro.

ROKNDJ
    ROKNDJ's Avatar Become A Pro!

Correct me if I'm wrong.....isnt Sportsgirls picks straight up?

I dont see anything about the spread.

Sportsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by ROKNDJ
    Correct me if I'm wrong.....isnt Sportsgirls picks straight up?

I dont see anything about the spread.
    Yep, picks are straight-up.

primo_skillz
    primo_skillz's Avatar Become A Pro!

TB will not win this game SU.

Sportsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by primo_skillz
    TB will not win this game SU.
    Would it be bold of me to suggest that your avatar leads me to think you might be a bit predjudice on this topic?

gummo
    Bearcats

haha. Good point Sportsgirl I guess the same with you and Pitt. Porter's out this week isn't he? They may have trouble stopping Dunn, Norwood and Vick on the ground.

Sportsgirl

haha. Good point Sportsgirl I guess the same with you and Pitt. Porter's out this week isn't he? They may have trouble stopping Dunn, Norwood and Vick on the ground.

Yeah, I think Porter is out this week, but when a defense is as good as Pittsburgh's it's never about one man. I say Palamalu has Vick eatin' a little grass tomorrow Hopefully Ben can build on last Sunday and we'll roll in Atlanta.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsgirl

that's no fun

Sportsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by durito
    that's no fun
    It's fun when I do it

Sportsgirl

I know it's half-time already, but is it too late to get a little of that action?

gummo
    Bearcats

I know it's half-time already, but is it too late to get a little of that action?
    Haha!! I know I know. Luckily I didn't actually bet them. I do hope Pitt holds on though since I took them -2.5

SexyMit
    SexyMit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Anyone can pick games SU. I will win almost everytime that is to easy those numbers don't impress me unless they factor in the spread. I can lose only 1 maybe 2 games a week if that SU but against the spread that is a whole different story

Sportsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by SexyMit
    Anyone can pick games SU. I will win almost everytime that is to easy those numbers don't impress me unless they factor in the spread. I can lose only 1 maybe 2 games a week if that SU but against the spread that is a whole different story
    Wheeewww! It's good thing I wasn't trying to impress you then, huh?

gummo
    Bearcats

Tough week. I'd say most people picking straight up had a minimum of three losses.

AC1318
    AC1318's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Quote Originally Posted by SexyMit

If you don't mind I would like to hear your selections straight up for week 8.

Thanks

nosuzieno
    nosuzieno's Avatar Become A Pro!

actually, I think year in and year out straight up winners cover over 70 percent of the time, something worth remembering..who won yesterday but failed to cover? only cincy...
    Last edited by nosuzieno; 10-23-06 at 03:51 PM.