arpeggiomeister
    arpeggiomeister's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2918

Are Pro Sports Rigged?

A while back I responded to a post asking this question. Here is the original post:

is every sport rigged honestly or .....
    are bookmakers just that good.

they hit that wager right on the money.its like they know exactly what is going on.why arent these guys betting.

the over under was way off though congrats on the under backers.

thank god i bought 3 points and hit that wager.

This post garnered a lot of responses from people that lost money on a Cowboys game. My initial response was no. I had recently read "Beat the Sports Books" by Dan Gordon who had dedicated several pages to this topic. He reasoned that it would be too expensive to bribe players and that the screening of NFL referees was so rigorous that this would be an unlikely source as well.

Many responses to this thread made fun and responded "somebody must have lost some money". I believe the assesment was correct and it took some credibility away from the whole discussion, but I never forgot it.

I recently read the book "Personal Foul" by the infamous former NBA ref Tim Donoughy and have come to the conclusion that Dan Gordon was dead wrong. I have another book on the way called "The Fix is In" and both books protest that it is the motivations of the league itself to influence these games.

T.D. talked about how the NBA bigshots had an unspoken rule - don't send the star players to the bench. He talked about how refs would have a vendetta against certain players or coaches, or a cozy relationship... ...and that this would influence how the game would be called. The ad I read for "The Fix is In" referred to how professional sports would see to it that certain storylines would emerge because they would make more money. It named 3:
    1. The Patriots winning the Superbowl after 9-11
    2. The Saints winning the Superbowl after Hurricane Katrina
    3. Dale Earnhart Jr. winning the Daytona 500 after the death of his legendary father

These are all great storylines. The book brings into question why the same teams seem to make the playoffs year after year.

Tim Donoughy made his picks almost exclusively on knowing who the referees were for the game and what biases that had for the players and coaches participating. His results were 70% to 80% accurate. Only a fool would believe that this is exclusive to the NBA.

It only takes one play to change the momentum of a game. I have seen pass intereference calls change the tide of a game.

There is no question in my mind that similar activities are occuring in the NFL. I am not bringing this up to cry over spilled milk. I bring it up because I believe if someone is savvy enough to recognize the desired storyline, or the personal vendettas, or any other influence that would be cause to call a game unfairly that it can be exploited.

Tim Donoughy had inside information. He was the Gordon Gekko of the NBA. After reading his book I don't think you had to be a referee to see what was happening. You simply had to be looking in the right place. In the past I have spent time studying injury reports, weather, coaching tendencies, but it never dawned on me to track the referees.

It would take years of research just to get an idea of what the referee tendencies are, but if the games are rigged, be it the mob, ref bias, or the league itself, the referees are the ones to watch. They are paid far less then the players and they have the power to shift the tide of a game with their calls. ...just a thought.

Ryeskernatorr
    Turning $100 into...
    Ryeskernatorr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 426

NBA maybe... all the others no. [my opinion]

bulichm
    bulichm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Funny that you mention this, I just was writing in a thread that I started about playing the NFL playoffs based on the better story line of "repeat SB" or "2 Brothers as head coaches of the opposing teams" selections, with my son. This conversation between us came up only be cause of an article about such things.
    I do believe that there is kind of WWF match-up making process to help ticket sales, why not. Look at IND schedule, every crap team they play this year is a home game while they are going to get their butts kicked on the road. And if there are fixes they are probably not often, just when billions are involved.

arpeggiomeister
    arpeggiomeister's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2918

Quote Originally Posted by bulichm View Post
    Funny that you mention this, I just was writing in a thread that I started about playing the NFL playoffs based on the better story line of "repeat SB" or "2 Brothers as head coaches of the opposing teams" selections, with my son. This conversation between us came up only be cause of an article about such things.
    I do believe that there is kind of WWF match-up making process to help ticket sales, why not. Look at IND schedule, every crap team they play this year is a home game while they are going to get their butts kicked on the road. And if there are fixes they are probably not often, just when billions are involved.
    That is exactly what I am talking about. I am a die-hard Patriots fan because I live in Maine, but I have noticed how they seem to get weak schedules year after year. ...and what about high scoring games. You had 4 QBs that passed for over 5,000 yards last year.

I don't think they are flat-out fixes, but rather influence. Indy has tough schedule, the Rams, and other not so high profile teams. After reading Personal Foul I realized that games are not officiated fairly. This is not neccessarily a fix with mob ties, but a personal vendetta between a coach and a ref, or a star player.

There is definately showmanship going on. WWF is a good analogy. These guys crave TV ratings like anyone else. Since TV pays the largest portion of team revenues it would only make sense for them (NFL) to create extra drama when the opportunity presents itself.

Wherever there is big money corruption is never far behind.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

I don't believe in rigged games like in the WWE. There is a lot of luck involed that makes a game look rigged though, like Tebow winning multiple games in overtime.

I do believe that the NFL schedule is made for TV ratings, the Sunday and Monday Night Football games are set up with great match ups since it's being viewed by millions of people.

Peyton Manning vs Tom Brady is always scheduled every season for ratings because of their rivalry as the Top QBs in the past 10 years, this year it's Broncos vs Patriots in Week 5.

tshafer117
    tshafer117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 288

Of course every sport is somewhat rigged...otherwise the ratings wouldn't be good enough to pay the outrageous salaries. Wait until the end of September for baseball, do you really think that it will be Baltimore vs Washington in the World Series? The Strasburg shutdown I think is being pushed a lot by the MLB to keep them from advancing in the playoffs. No way does the MLB let Baltimore beat the Yankees for the division....and now they have a back up plan, a wild card game? That is the biggest set-up so far. Playing 2 teams in one game, winner goes on. Obviously the winner of that Wild Card game will be the team that would give the best ratings in a match-up for the playoffs. If it's Yankees and Oakland for that spot, we already know who is going to win. Baseball is probably the easiest game to rig, where the umpire at home plate controls almost everything. He controls the counts, and that measures up to him controlling the statistics of the at-bat.

TheGuesser
    TheGuesser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24835

They're not, but never is the NFL more ripe for a Fixed game than this week. Incompetent, low paid officials with no loyalty to the NFL, and the NFL is already making excuses for and factoring in their incompetence.