McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

**'s Picks - NFL Week 5 YTD - 15-10-1 +6.5 Units

YTD - 15-10-1 +6.5 Units

Another tough week last week going 3-4 +1 unit. 2 bad weeks in a row. Every game I missed was damn damn close, aside from the 9rs in a teaser pick (I was really dumb there with that pick, I usually blow 1 game/week by being a moron - and sheesh, that was a bad bad pick).

This week will be a bit different... Lots of BIG Home Favs. Good week for ML parlays/teasers IMO.

For the picks:

To start, I hate taking rookie QBs on bad football teams with any amount of points. My first 3 picks are all about that. I figure 2 of 3 will hit no matter what. No other logic/write-up needed. Rookie QBs on bad teams generally get their asses whooped by good football teams:
    New Orleans -6 over Tampa
    Indy -18 over Tennessee
    Kansas City -3 1/2 @ Arizona

Arizona is not completely terrible (their O Line is bottom 5, they're terrible), and KC CAN be terrible. But I'm sticking with my belief, despite not really liking that line a whole lot. KC is a much different team on the road.

Carolina -8 vs Cleveland
    This is a pick that goes against current logic. Carolina is a very bad cover team, while Cleveland has shown a lot of heart + spunk recently. Cleveland also has been covering lately. However, Cleveland did so against a horrible team and an up-and-coming team with a pretty mediocre offense.

I think Carolina breaks out this game. Cleveland has so many injuries and do not have a favorable matchup against Carolina's receivers (let alone anywhere on either side of the ball - aside from Winslow Jr receiving). Also, you can run the ball on Cleveland with reasonable success. Carolina is committed to running the ball and can do so with, at worst, reasonable success, against anyone.

I just can't see Cleveland being very competitive this week at Carolina and I don't even think Charlie Frye's magic can help them cover. Cleveland is not very good against complete football teams and competitive against unbalanced/weak ones. Cle turns the ball over too much - and that's a big deal against a very good football team.

San Diego -3 vs Pittsburgh
    This is the only other game I have money on currently, and It's a 'handicap' pick. I see it more as a coin-flip decision logically. I can see it going either way.
    Both teams can run the ball and stop the run. However, Pitt hasn't thrown the ball with much consistency. Pitt also is turning the ball over a LOT (especially for them) recently. I realize they have a bye week leading into this game - but the extra week will not help them gameplan. Even my Mom knows what SD is going to do on offense, and she doesn't watch football.

The bye week COULD help Big Ben get his head back together and improve his throwing technique, which really hasn't been all that bad, to be honest... He's just making 1-2 bad plays/game, and his team isn't bailing him out enough. I don't blame Big Ben for the losses, it's actually the entire team. There are constant blown assignments on the O line and the D doesn't look like it should.

I know it sounds odd, because I think he's the most complete defender in the NFL, but something is wrong with Polamalu. I know he's knicked up a bit - but he has missed a few tackles in big spots where he NEVER misses tackles (not even when he was a rookie) - and that's near the line of scrimmage. He's the barometer on that D right now. Pitt's D puts a LOT on his shoulders to make plays - maybe too much.

SD, on the other hand, are at home - coming off a game they should've won and coached themselves out of. They're still a very good football team. I think the Ravens gave the blueprint to how to slow down (notice how I say 'slow down' - you can't stop it) the Charger running game - by playing a base 4-4 and making Marty throw the ball, which Marty won't do, even against a non-stop goalline D. Gates, also, is not getting involved enough, which is a big concern. It's not HIS fault - it's by coaching design. He's blocking too much.

SD ran the ball against that 4-4 front with reasonable success last week, also. There's no reason to think they can't do it against a base 3-4. Pitt has a LOT of speed on D, so I don't think Tomlinson or Turner are going to make a lot of huge runs... Both are good for a lot of solid runs -- 5-8 yd runs, though. I also suspect that SD will attack the flats more throwing the ball, plus run more screens, to open up their power running game inside the tackles... If they can do that, and teams have this season against Pitt, it's not even going to be much of a game.

My gut really says that Pitt is going to come out with a lot of passion, which is why I'm nervous with this pick - however, I don't think you can rattle SD. SD always has one of the toughest schedules in the NFL and you can't get them off their game very easy - if at all. I like the home team here.
    --------------
    Other bets + leans:

4 Team 9 pt. Teaser - even money
    Minnesota +2
    New Orleans +3
    New England -1/2
    Carolina +1

Philly -1 1/2 over Dallas - Most likely jumping on this now, the line is as good as it will get. I like the home team in the NFC East, but have no data to back it up - it's just a feel.

Teams that I like for teasers and will probably be doing a mixture of:
    6 point teaser picks:
    Car -8, NO -6, Min -6 1/2, Jack -7, KC -3.
    10 point teaser picks:
    SD -3, NE -9, Indy -18, Chi -11

I can't see any of those teaser picks failing with the points. If you can make a case for ANY of those teaser picks being bunk (other than Indy), please, debate your points. I always make 1 brutal mistake on teasers and need help figuring out where I screwed up this week in my thinking.

Anyhow, GL this week and lets make some lewts!
    Last edited by McBa1n; 10-06-06 at 12:22 AM.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

that Pitt/SD game just scares the hell out of me this weekend. I can make a strong case for both teams, but I can't find that one edge that just would give me a confident selection on this game.

BOL with you plays bud

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Terrible odds on that teaser. You can make a 3 team 10pt teaser @ odds of -110 @ youwager,bodog and 5 Dimes..

Wow we need to talk McBain...

McBa1n
    Update your status

My mistake, it was a 9 pointer (8 pointer and I bought a point).
    I'm just posting my plays from Cris, since they've been so kind this season.:>
    I must admit,though, their odds stink on teasers. It's 10 cents more on a 3 teamer on Cris.

I do favor their lines to say, bodog, though.

Patrick McIrish
    Patrick McIrish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Quote Originally Posted by McBa1n
    I do favor their lines to say, bodog, though.

If you play more favorites you will get better lines at CRIS than you will BoDog. Looking at your card this week at least it looks like you do. BoDog is good for dogs as long as you aren't getting profiled and getting dealt sharper lines.

Good luck this week.

begolf25
    begolf25's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like the picks McBain. I want to take K.C. and the Saints also but something just doesn't seem right with those lines. They seem like traps. GL this weekend!
    Last edited by begolf25; 10-06-06 at 08:52 AM.

imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

KC looks like trap but I took the bait.. 71% of public is on KC and dammit I am part of that group.. GO KC... AFC-NFC factor..

Let me help you with you're decision

Leinart is being thrown to the Wolves..
    Leinart fumbled and threw for an INT last week in limited playing time. If KC decides to put pressure on him what is he going to do? He has limited mobility.. KC defense hasn't given up a TD in 8 straight quarters and a rookie QB is suppose to have success in his first ever NFL start against this D?

Both Teams have played SF
    SF 17
    ARI 24

SF 0
    KC 41

I think at this point of the season KC is on the improve and Ariz is on the decline. I believe KC to be an above average team and nothing ARIZ has done yet has showed me anything special..

ARIZ
    Beat SF by 7,
    lost to Seattle by 11,
    Lost to Rams by 2,
    Lost to ATL by 22..
    Seems like they are going in the wrong direction...

On the other hand look at

KC
    Lost to Cincy by 13
    Lost to Denver by 3
    Beat SF by 41
    Seems like they are going in the right direction..

Two teams going in two different directions..

Good luck whatever you guys do..

McBa1n
    Update your status

I love using KC in a teaser and ML parlays this week - they almost certainly will cover. I can see the trap, also - but lets do some math:

Arizona has NO offensive line - Dennis Green went OFF on them in the media - and no matter what, they are still going to stink. They have almost NO talent in their front five.

Arizona has a rookie QB starting

add it up.
    It's not so much KC will win than Arizona will lose.
    There's a REASON Warner is turning the ball over like nuts and Edge can't run the ball : it's the O LINE!!!!!!!

Maybe Green lighting a fire under their ass will do something, so I'm not going to play them as hard as say NO or Carolina... Heck even Chi (which is starting to concern me a bit more - at least in covering points).

McBa1n
    Update your status

lol, all 3 rookie QBs covered
    2-3-1, with indy CRUSHING 8 units of teaser play.
    Somehow I managed almost a +4 unit day +a cash in the BTP contest woo!
    A lil sugar on top ain't a bad thing.
    I still can't believe all 3 rookie QBs covered. That blows my mind.

McBa1n
    Update your status

Indy was the ONLY teaser pick I had that lost with the points... Not bad 8 of 9 were right.
    I screwed up and didn't lay enough variety of bets. Indy was in 1/2 my teasers, somehow, and I only wanted them in 2 or 3 MAYBE.
    I'll have to do better next week. That one game cost me a LOT of money.