Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Female referee receiving 'amazing' support from NFL players

Shannon Eastin is used to being a pioneer, and she'll make history Thursday night when she becomes the first woman to serve as an official in an NFL game.
    "For me, this is my dream coming true. I'm honored that the NFL has chosen to place me in this position. I feel blessed and excited," she said Tuesday while admitting she's likely to have some nerves. "I appreciate everybody's interest in this story."

CAPTION
    Courtesy NFL

Eastin, 42, who's entering her 17th season as a football official, will serve as a line judge in the Packers-Chargers preseason game in San Diego.
    And with the possible exception of the men she's replacing, Eastin says she's been received warmly thus far in NFL circles.
    "The reaction from players has been amazing. But players have always reacted well -- I'm not sure why that is," said Eastin, who spent the weekend honing her skills at the Seattle Seahawks training camp.
    "They joked with me just like I'm one of the guys. I've appreciated the players tremendously throughout training camp."
    She said Arizona Cardinals wideout Larry Fitzgerald was particularly supportive and "extremely kind" when she visited Cards camp.
    Eastin says the message from the players is consistently: " 'All eyes are on you. Do a good job. Do us proud.' Very positive."
    She says coaches have predominantly been "wonderful" throughout her career, though she can't fully escape chauvinism.
    "I've had instances where I have had nothing to do with the call at hand, but I'm the one that's blamed," she said. "That's the rare instance where it's gotta be my fault (just) because I am the woman on the field."
    She admits it comes with the territory.
    "Knowing that I am a female in a man's world, I have always probably put the most pressure on myself, understanding that pretty much everything I do is going to be magnified," she said. "I know what I signed up for."
    Might her gender even be an advantage?
    "Some people say women can even be better because their attention to detail is greater," she said. "I don't know about that."
    But don't be surprised if women eventually make a larger presence in the reffing ranks.
    Tony Corrente, the Pacific-12 Conference football officiating coordinator and an NFL referee, said he knows of only a handful of female officials at the college level -- where the NFL seeks talent -- but he added he "definitely" can foresee women becoming NFL candidates.
    "Twenty years ago, did you ever think you would see women boxing in the Olympics?" he said. At the Pac-12, "we are looking for the very best officials regardless of gender, ethnicity, whatever. As more women take an interest in the officiating aspect of football, I am sure you'll see that happening."
    Eastin, who counts former NFL refs Red Cashion and Jerry Markbreit and the NBA's Violet Palmer among her influences and mentors, has spent the past four years working in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, and became the first crew chief in that league. Her opportunity to break ground in the pro ranks is a byproduct of the ongoing lockout of the NFL's regular officials, who have been unable to reach a new collective bargaining agreement with the league.
    "I'm gonna work with the NFL as long as they need me," said Eastin, who was contacted by the league in the offseason after negotiations with veteran officials ground to a halt.
    "And should that change, then I'll pursue going back to college. ... I'm not really concerned about that at this point."
    For now, she's more focused on adapting to the speed of pro players and ensuring she's mastered the myriad rules that differentiate the NFL from the college level.
    Eastin, who lives in Tempe, Ariz., says she's received mixed feedback from the locked-out officials but felt obligated to pursue the chance to work at the NFL level.
    "Hopefully there's some understanding on their part that this is an opportunity for me," she said. "I had to do what was in the best interest of myself just as they're doing what they feel is in the best interest of themselves."
    Eastin is certainly no stranger to maximizing her potential.
    In addition to the milestones she's achieved in her officiating career -- which includes stints as a basketball ref in the Southland, Sun Belt and Western Athletic Conferences and being the first woman to work a junior college national championship football game -- she became, at age 11, the youngest judo athlete ever accepted to train at the United States Olympic Training Center and earned six national championships.
    However she says she's followed football her entire life.
    "As a child I wanted to play football, and my mother said no, so our compromise was judo," said Eastin.
    "Football's always been in my blood."

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

wtf?

saloon this shit

if there was a fukkin kitchen section of the board that's where this thread should go

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

this is a hilarious tactic by the nfl

humiliating the greedy refs in lockout

Brock Landers

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    wtf?

saloon this shit

if there was a fukkin kitchen section of the board that's where this thread should go
    i'm informing the board of this development you motherfukker

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    i'm informing the board of this development you motherfukker
    broads should be makin me fukkin dinner you bastard...not on a football field!

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

women should be on the sideline as cheerleaders not on the field making calls.

nic9212
    nic9212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2551

I can't see many other woman doing the same...

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

One more steps towards EQUALITY. One day women will have the same opportunities as men to be coaches and players. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. Holly Mangold will soon be playing alongside her brother at Left Tackle for the Jets.

It doesn't stop there. Women will be 50/50 serving in the military with men including on the front line dying in combat because gender is a SOCIAL CONSTRUCT and women are EQUAL if not GREATER than men in every way. Some may be captured and raped for days, but that's life and comes with EMPOWERMENT. Sexist chauvinist patriarchal pigs are shaking in their boots.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

"they want to be treated equally for everything huh? Then why can't I punch u in the face like i would a man when u start talking shit?"

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    "they want to be treated equally for everything huh? Then why can't I punch u in the face like i would a man when u start talking shit?"
    For the same reason they want money to suck your rooster and same reason dude always pays on a date. They want equality only when it maximizes to their benefit instead of yours. Any dude would fukk a 5+ out of 10 for free. It takes a dude paying $200 just to get a blowy. Pass.
    Points Awarded:

paco gave Deuce 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Balco10
    Balco10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

There will be a player bounty after her. Watch her get whacked Fuking hard into the ground!

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Are there any nudes???

Balco10
    Balco10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Majority of men dont want women as NFL ref's! One bad hit and their career and be done! What happens when Patrick Willis bulls over her at full speed, but accident. I am just saying. AI wish her luck and that she does well.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Wtf!

This shit is not right

women will take over this world

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

As long as they don't suck at refereeing the games, I could care less if the ref is male or female.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

You won't even notice that she is on the field. Get over it.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

there's already a thread on this

Brock Landers

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    You won't even notice that she is on the field. Get over it.
    bullshit LOL

Jerm3462
    FREE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Jerm3462's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8126

Yea I don't care if Joan Rivers is officiating a game, I just want the right calls to be made.

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

This must be a pretty big kitchen they're going to host the game in

mynameismud
    mynameismud's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8427

she doesnt look as butch as i thought she would.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    bullshit LOL
    Do you notice when the head judge is black? Or line judge? Or any of the 8 or 9 guys in stripes? If you do, you are watching the wrong things.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Big story actually

She will be fine

Lock out regular refs

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

This is simple, either the goddamn refs get out of this strike and ref, or replacement refs will be on the field. I don't give a shit - all refs are made equally useless.

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

Female refs in the NFL is a good idea all the way around

It goes much further than equal opportunity garbage. Inside of every decent man is a chivalrous side that wants pretty much every female to be safe. Female fans would dig it and to an extent be more interested in watching. True douchebags, that drunk fat guy in the stands screaming female specific obscenities to them on a controversial call would be truly humiliated by every fan in the stands trying to get laid.

It's marketable, it's moral , it's profitable and the entertainment of these chauvinist slobs mouthing off to them and ruining themselves would be priceless.

I say let's do this.