Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9578

Rams game is insane!!

Trying to kill the clock, Bulger fumbles the ball at his own 28 with 1:50. Cards take over just needing a FG to win, get a first down inside the 20 and just need 3 snaps and a kick from 35 yards and Warner fumbles the snap back to St. Louis. Rams win and Bill Maas is frecking CLUELESS. This guy is the worst NFL announcer in history.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wow

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I couldn't believe that one either when I seen it. That was just one screwed up ending for sure.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Plus the Rams declined the final penalty, which should have given the Cardinals a final kick for a FG, from way out. But when the Rams found out about this very rare rule, they changed their mind and accepted the penalty instead. Can't do that...

Seattle Slew

Would have been great to see Rackers try the FG from 75 yards out. I think he's got to kick it off the ground, so tough to see him getting the distance.

I think the Rams coaches knew the rule, but were confused on the penalty. I've seen refs signal a penalty declined and then later switched because of the situation. Not sure if there even is a rule on that.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew
    Would have been great to see Rackers try the FG from 75 yards out. I think he's got to kick it off the ground, so tough to see him getting the distance.
    Last week in the Denver game, I think one of the kickers kicked the ball through the uprights on the kickoff. I think the wind was at his back, but still it amounts to a 90 yard FG, right? Too bad he didn't get 3 pts for that.

scottyy11
    scottyy11's Avatar Become A Pro!

how long till Warner gets the hook here? three picks and turnovers like this in the redzone?

Jay Edgar
    Jay Edgar's Avatar Become A Pro!

I didn't see the game.

But I can only imagine what Maas sounded like.

SS is right: he is brutal. He was paired with some kid who calls NASCAR races last week for CAR-MIN and the production and announcing was the worst I'd seen since a particlarly bad HS game on local access cable a few years ago.

Maas got a job back when Madden was still Madden (which was a while ago), because some suit half-listened to him and imagined a vague resemblence, at least to Millen, who was then the poor man's Madden. That Maas has hung on despite such rank incompetence means there's plenty of incompetence elsewhere, too.

Sam Rosen must have told them he couldn't take it anymore. . .
    Last edited by Jay Edgar; 09-25-06 at 06:19 PM.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by scottyy11
    how long till Warner gets the hook here? three picks and turnovers like this in the redzone?
    Warner was hit extremely hard a couple of times in a row. After that he wasn't the same. Looked groggy in the closeups. Arizona is lucky to have him.

Seattle Slew

I was going to mention that last week. The cameraman got fooled on the play fake about 10 times. It was so bad.

Couple things today on Maas. Arizona throws a challenge flag on a catch on the sideline. As they go to commercial, they show the replay and Maas says "great challenge. incomplete pass." They come back, play stands, and he says "i knew that was close."

In the final minutes, neither he or the play-by-play guy said the Rams should decline the penalty and just take a knee on the final snap. They never even knew it was a possibility until they lined up. The play-by-play guy then says as Bulger is under center "they just need to punt the ball away again.....Actually Bulger will just take a knee."

Gus Johnson was awful in the Browns game. I never noticed until someone pointed it out a few weeks ago that he literally screams on every other play.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Edgar
    I didn't see the game.

But I can only imagine what Maas sounded like.

SS is right: he is brutal. He was paired with some kid who calls NASCAR races last week for CAR-MIN and the production and announcing was the worst I'd seen a particlarly bad HS game on local access cable a few years ago.

Maas got a job back when Madden was still Madden (which was a while ago), because some suit half-listened to him and imagined a vague resemblence. That Maas has hung on despite such rank incompetence means there's plenty of incompetence elsewhere, too.

Sam Rosen must have told them he couldn't take it anymore. . .

anthon9283
    anthon9283's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wow sounds like a good game too watch, too bad I missed it. But Wilkins did get me some nice points for my fantasy team

The should pull Warner out soon and put in Leinart. It seems more like the debate in Tenessee though.. I don't think they want to put in their rookie QB to get murdered by the Defense.

prickbeater101
    prickbeater101's Avatar Become A Pro!

That was a strange ending to that game, but what I saw was that the right guard was pulling and knocked the ball out of Warner's hand!! I haven't read about that anywhere but it surely looked like he did...his left hand went right between Kurt's and dislodged the ball. I watched the interview after but got to it late so I am not sure he said anything about it...

Seattle Slew

ESPN just reported Leinart will start Sunday against Atlanta. This guy can't be ready to play yet. He missed some camp with a holdout and didn't play much in preseason. Typical Dennis Green. How this guy is still a head coach in this league is beyond me. Arizona is a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by anthon9283
    The should pull Warner out soon and put in Leinart. It seems more like the debate in Tenessee though.. I don't think they want to put in their rookie QB to get murdered by the Defense.