SBRforum Staff
    SBRforum Staff's Avatar Become A Pro!

AJ Apollo: Panthers -3 at Tampa Bay

Panthers -3 at Tampa Bay

Game Time: 9/24/2006 1:00:00 PM
    By: A.J. Apollo
    http://www.who2beton.com

The Panthers and Buccaneers are each looking for their first win this Sunday in Tampa. Look for the Panthers to get it and cover the FG spread.

This is a big game for both teams as if they lose and fall to 0-3 they are basically out of the NFC playoff picture.

Both teams have struggled to run the ball and that has led to poor play on the offensive side of the ball. Tampa Bay threw 53 times in their loss last week at Atlanta and that is not the kind of offense that fares well against the Panthers. Carolina’s strength is their defensive front four putting pressure on the quarterback and they should be able to pressure Chris Simms all day in this one.

Carolina is 7-0 ATS since 1996 as a favorite versus a divisional opponent before playing at home versus another division opponent. Tampa Bay is 0-6 ATS since 2003 versus teams averaging less than 275 yards per game season to date. The Buccaneers are 0-6 ATS since 2004 versus opponents averaging less than 25 rushing attempts per game. Look for the Panthers' defense to come up big this week as they earn their first win.

Play: Panthers -3

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's not a game i'd personally bet on this week, but I too would have to back the Panthers in this game.

anthon9283
    anthon9283's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would have to agree going with Carolina, it comes down to picking which team is not as bad instead of which is better. I don't think I'll be betting on either team though.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Carolina, contrary to stats, etc, has played some very good defensive football. Also, the offense minus Smith has been serviceable against some pretty tough D. I don't think Smith playing will make/break this game - I think Carolina has just been a bit off and are finding their identity.... This is a good spot for them on the road.

anthon9283
    anthon9283's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by McBa1n
    Carolina, contrary to stats, etc, has played some very good defensive football. Also, the offense minus Smith has been serviceable against some pretty tough D. I don't think Smith playing will make/break this game - I think Carolina has just been a bit off and are finding their identity.... This is a good spot for them on the road.
    Agreed fully, Carolina has the talent they just need to play as a team. Seeing that the Bucs are struggling maybe Carolina can play more like they did last year and get back on track. Just not to sure if it is good to bet on either of these teams yet lol.

McBa1n
    Update your status

I watched the game Sunday and agonized over it this week. I watched the game again today and I didn't realize just how well Carolina played. It seemed like they were outplayed as it happened, but on second review, they had 2 unforgiveable mistakes on the special teams and Brad Johnson made a sick pass with Peppers in his grill that basically kept the game alive for Minne.

After seeing the game again, it was pretty clear Carolina is playing good enough football to win, and should've won last Sunday. It was probably their best showing I've seen this year (pre-season included) - but I think they still are lacking that little something John Fox teams have. Playing on the road 0-2 seems to help good teams find what they need. No hometown pressure is huge. I think they are, at worst, a solid ML bet.

I sure hope I'm right!

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Quote Originally Posted by McBa1n
    but I think they still are lacking that little something
    That little something is Steve Smith.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

This line just doesn't look right to me, but not sure I'll be reeled in like I've been by Oakland the first two weeks.

McBa1n
    Update your status

well hell, if oakland keeps reelin ya in - martingale it!
    eventually they'll cover...
    I'm notsaying this year, but... hehe

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Great analysis, McBa1n.

The only thing I can add is that Steve Smith will make a difference. He doesn't even have to catch a pass. He just needs to be a threat, and show his patented moves to open up the offense for everyone else. If the defense doesn't respect him, you know he'll be catching a quick 6.

McBa1n
    Update your status

I hope you're right. It sure seems like Smith will give them the spark. Hopefully Caro covers.

Dang, some tiny part in me still smiles when the Buccos lose.
    Yeah, I still havn't gotten over Fat-boy Sapp's cheapo hit on Clifton years ago. Even if Sapp is gone, it's still the Bucs.