Sportsgirl
    Sportsgirl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

Thoughts on starting Big Ben?

I know the Steelers have a big matchup with division rival Cincy this coming weekend, but the Super Bowl champs on the Monday night stage against what most knowledgable about football consider one of the best Ds in the NFL and they start an ailing Rotheliesberger?
    Good idea? Bad idea?

And what about the Jags chances going into Indy? After their performance last night, are Manning & Co. in trouble?

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Offnight for the Steelers. Don't read too much into it. Public will now overrate the Jags. Spread for Indy game down to a TD, from 9 pts. Same overreaction for Cincy game. Gotta love it.

Steelers after a shutout. Not a good spot for Cincy, especially with their injuries.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 09-19-06 at 08:19 AM.

Sportsgirl

As a Steeler fan, I hope you're right. I think with Ben ill and Polomolu obviously injured, the team wasn't tip-top, but the Jags did play their collective butts off last night, and I've always appreciated the coaching skill of Del Rio. I think he's got a good team there and Peyton may spend some time Sunday feeling much like a bunny being chased by a pack of wolves!

Brick Tamland
    Brick House!
    Brick Tamland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

I am not sure pitt rebounds over night...Big Ben looks fat and out a shape. Anyone else think so??? go against the steelers next game too!

Sportsgirl

Actually, that wasn't fat .. Ben was heavily padded around the middle to protect the area where he had the surgery.

gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

I agree with Dark Horse. I think the Steelers win this week and I'm a Bengals homer.

Sportsgirl

What about the Jags and Indy ... any guesses?

rezster
    rezster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23023

I would rather have Ben start the Jags game, play poorly and lose, then have him wait for a divisional game to shake the rust off.

Cowher made the right call in starting Ben.

If the Jags D can run the same blitzing schemes against the Colts and put pressure on Manning, they wont need the 7 points next Sunday. The +270 money line is looking very tempting.

anthon9283
    anthon9283's Avatar Become A Pro!

I just think Ben wasa little rusty or maybe worried about getting drilled too much. I think next week he will be much better with a week of practice and more healing.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Big Ben wasn't terrible last night - a lot of that was the Jag's D, which is pretty banged up - but still a top 5 unit, no sweat.
    He HAS to start, he gives them the best chance to win. The Jags would've rolled if Batch was in there - his lack of ability plays into the Jags D and it would've been ugly.

I think you have to credit Jacksonville, they did go 12-4 last year, afterall (and had an early loss, but cover on the spread at Indy - that's a win/cover and a loss/cover their last 2 times up there). They are an emerging team, and they deserve to finally get noticed by the public. I don't think the Steelers lost this game so much as the Jags won it.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9438

Looking back, maybe Pitt should have rested him another week and went with Batch. Wouldn't have made a difference likely, but it's a long season and they need him healthy down the road.

Amazing that Pitt's first drive with the catch-no catch ruling on the Jax 32 was the farthest they got all night. If that ball completes, Pitt likely gets 3 points or better in that opening drive and it's a different game.

Quote Originally Posted by anthon9283
    I just think Ben wasa little rusty or maybe worried about getting drilled too much. I think next week he will be much better with a week of practice and more healing.

anthon9283
    anthon9283's Avatar Become A Pro!

I read on my fantasy news that Ben had a fever of 100.4 during the game. Hope he plays well next week because I have to start him.

gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1195

Quote Originally Posted by anthon9283
    I read on my fantasy news that Ben had a fever of 100.4 during the game. Hope he plays well next week because I have to start him.
    The funny thing about that is Michelle Tafoya reported before the game that he had a 104 degree temp! I would have definitely benched him if he was on my team because I think that's pretty life threatening level for an adult.

As for the Indy game, sportsgirl, I would still take them straight up based on Jax working on a short week and possibly being drained from a big emotional win.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Quote Originally Posted by gummo
    The funny thing about that is Michelle Tafoya reported before the game that he had a 104 degree temp! I would have definitely benched him if he was on my team because I think that's pretty life threatening level for an adult.
    Exactly, only humans that can handle a 104 are babies.

Sportsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by gummo

As for the Indy game, sportsgirl, I would still take them straight up based on Jax working on a short week and possibly being drained from a big emotional win.
    My head says straight up you are right my friend. It was a tough physical contest with Pittsburgh and they are working the short week. But my gut says the Jags are gonna take Manning & Co. down.

Geez, I hate when the head and the heart disagree!