JohnnyBoy928
    JohnnyBoy928's Avatar Become A Pro!

New England at N.Y. Jets - Week 2

So what do you guys think?

Jets are the Underdog and are getting +6.5 so far...
    ok and the UNDER/OVER is at 37

Origianl Story
    http://sports.sportsrumble.com/defau...ABN4040286.htm

Pennington quiets critics in season opener
    By Chris Ruddick, Contributing NFL Editor

(Sports Network) - Ever since Chad Pennington underwent shoulder surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff following the 2004 season, he has had to listen to people tell him how quarterbacks just don't come back from that type of injury.

Pennington, just eight months removed from the procedure, returned - probably too soon - to start the Jets' season opener last season in Kansas City. You could tell, though, he was just not the same player, as he lacked arm strength and fumbled a franchise-record six times in the loss.

Maybe his doubters were right. Maybe QBs just don't come back from those types of injuries.

To make matters worse for Pennington, he endured what many thought would be the death knell to his career - another torn rotator cuff. The former first- round pick had struggled mightily before suffering the crippling season-ending injury in Week 3 last year. Many people felt his career was likely over as well.

In fact, the Jets organization made him take a massive pay cut to remain on the team, and traded for Patrick Ramsey in the offseason with the thoughts that he, not Pennington, would be the team's signal-caller heading into the 2006 campaign.

Pennington, though, told everyone he would be back. When asked about the open quarterback competition in training camp, Pennington told everyone to bet on No. 10.

Well, the much-ballyhooed competition turned out to be a joke, because Pennington was better than anyone could have anticipated and was head-and- shoulders better than not only Ramsey, but rookie Kellen Clemens and Brooks Bollinger, and was named the team's starter midway through the preseason.

Pennington's return came full circle on Sunday, as he was magnificent in leading the Jets to a 23-16 win over the Tennessee Titans in the season opener at LP Field.

Pennington completed 24-of-33 passes for 319 yards and two scores, including a 12-yard strike to Chris Baker with 2:10 left to put the Jets ahead for good.

"I've been trying to focus on durability and doing everything I can week-in and week-out to make sure that I can stay out there," said Pennington, who has never played a full NFL season. "I don't want to just be there some of the time. I want to be there all the time. That's important for the quarterback of the team."

The knock on Pennington has always been his arm strength. Pennington, though, quieted his critics for at least one week, as he made every pass he had to on Sunday, including a 41-yard strike to Laveranues Coles, who caught eight passes for 153 yards in the victory.

"Before I got hurt," Pennington said, "nobody ever questioned my arm strength. It wasn't an issue. But it is now, and I understand, because that's the consequences of getting hurt."

The game was not as close as the score might indicate. Tennessee was only in the contest thanks to two missed field goals and a missed extra point by kicker Mike Nugent.

"All I could really think of was how proud I am of my teammates," Nugent said. "It really shouldn't have been the game it was at the end. I missed out on seven points for the team. I don't like the fact that I put my teammates in that position. I really feel like I let my teammates and coaches down. I absolutely didn't do my job. It's very tough to deal with."

The last time a Jets kicker missed two field goals under 35 yards was December 6, 1982, when Pat Leahy missed from 30 and 24 yards against the Lions.

MANGINI GETS HIS FIRST W

Pennington's heroics not only gave the Jets their first road opening day win since 2002, but gave new head coach Eric Mangini a victory in his debut.

It wasn't easy, though.

New York led 16-0 early in the fourth quarter, but two Travis Henry touchdown runs and a pair of two-point conversions tied it for the Titans with just under six minutes to play.

New York, though, was unfazed and a 41-yard kickoff return by Justin Miller set the offense up at its own 43-yard line. The Jets converted on a short third down before Pennington went deep and hit Coles with a 38-yard pass. Soon after, Pennington found Baker from 12 yards away for the go-ahead score.

"Chad did a good job executing the no-huddle offense," said new Jets head coach Eric Mangini. "That's something he has worked on. I think the mechanics were excellent. I'm proud that he was poised. He came back and overcame some difficulties during the game."

ANYONE MISSING CURTIS MARTIN?

Outside of Nugent's miscues, another glaring downer in the win was the abysmal running attack of the Jets. The running back-by-committee tandem of Derrick Blaylock and Kevan Barlow combined for 91 yards on 34 carries (2.7 yards-per- rush).

For what it is worth, Barlow looked the better of the two, but that is not saying much.

INJURIES

Starting left guard Pete Kendall was forced to leave Sunday's win with a sore left hamstring, and was replaced by Norm Katnick, who had only one prior NFL appearance.

Mangini really did not elaborate on the injury on Monday, only saying his status would be updated later in the week.

Safety Kerry Rhodes also suffered an injured ankle, but he should be able to practice and will likely play this Sunday.

UP NEXT

Mangini gets a shot at his mentor Bill Belichick this week as the Jets play their home opener against the New England Patriots.

"It's the New York Jets against the New England Patriots," Mangini said. "Bill Belichick and Eric Mangini are just the coaches."

The Jets hold a 47-43-1 edge in the all-time series with their long-time AFC East rival, though they have been swept in three straight seasons by the Patriots. New England was a 16-3 home winner over the Jets in Week 13 of the 2005 campaign, and claimed a 31-21 decision at Giants Stadium in Week 16. The Jets' most recent win over the Patriots of any kind was a 30-17 triumph in Foxborough during 2002, and they have lost five straight home games against the Pats since last downing New England at the Meadowlands in 2000.

09/12 14:03:11 ET
    Last edited by JohnnyBoy928; 09-12-06 at 02:05 PM.

kdoub
    kdoub's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 476

I'm going with the under. I can't see the JETS scoring any more than Buffalo did, 10 points, and 27 seems like a stretch for this WR depeleted Patriot team.

I like the Pats by a TD but not as much as I like the Under.

John Galt1
    John Galt1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Im leaning towards the Pats and the under

Wassymac
    Wassymac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I love the J-E-T-S in this spot. Even tempted to play the ML.

JohnnyBoy928

Yes but what are also your reasons for picking whatever teams guys?

pickwinners
    pickwinners's Avatar Become A Pro!

take the under. it will be a close, low scoring game unless a NE WR steps up. other than that it looks good

Siuman
    Siuman's Avatar Become A Pro!

I got to go with the Jets. Pennington showed in week one he can throw long or short with accuracy. The Pats are not the team they were, and the Jets are at home and those fans are going to be going crazy. Something tells me this is going to be decided by a FG. The under looks real good

MPMEYER1982
    MPMEYER1982's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 408

Quick, someone tell me when the last time the Jets beat the Patriots???? 2005 naw, 2004 naw, 2003 naw, how bout 2002, yep we have a winner. In fact, New England has covered the spread 5 out of the last 6 games against the Jets, including 3 straight. Face it, the Jets can't beat the Patriots and this week won't be any different. Look for Pennington to struggle in this game (what's new, Pennington struggling in a big game, who would've thought) and the Jets will lose rather easily to the Pats. Oh yeah, I didn't even mention about the horrendous rushing offense the Jets have this season. Beating the Titans isn't anything to get excited about and after this week, the Jets will go back to being mediocre and people will be wondering why they would think about betting the Jets, especially against a team that has owned them over the years.

Siuman
    Siuman's Avatar Become A Pro!

Remeber last week when the Pats were going to beat up on the pathetic Bills, well we all know what happened. They squeeked it out and Brady had a horrible game at home.
    I just got that feeling that the Jets might pull this game out. The only safe bet on this game is the under.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

If I had to play this game I have to back New England in this spot myself. I know the Pats are a little thin in the depth department this year, but I just can't see the Jets hanging around in this game at all.

psycho44
    psycho44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

without Charlie, N.E. is nothing and Brady is just below average quarterback.

New York Jets should not only cover but win this baby straight up.

JohnnyBoy928

Hahahah I got New England minus the 6 guys... Sorry Jet fans...

Quote Originally Posted by psycho44
    without Charlie, N.E. is nothing and Brady is just below average quarterback.

New York Jets should not only cover but win this baby straight up.

rezster
    rezster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23023

Pats should be able to cover, I also like the under in this one.
    Last edited by rezster; 09-17-06 at 12:24 AM.

freeneasy
    freeneasy's Avatar Become A Pro!

i gotta like the pats, matter of fact they might be my best bet for tomarrow

last week against the jets the titans went with kerry collins and he couldnt get nothing done and all that did was to work in favor of the jets. titans are going straight to the toilet bowl this year
    today the jets get brady and not collins.
    last week the pats ground game had like 160 yards rushing and the passing should open up for the pats.
    curtis martin is out for the jets and mostly on that the pats ground defense is going to be better then the jets ground offense and they should be ready for any passing attack by the jets.
    belichick vs mangini? pats will be ready for this one
    ne 28
    ny 10

JohnnyBoy928

Good call on the final points... It looks about right...

Quote Originally Posted by freeneasy
    last week against the jets the titans went with kerry collins and he couldnt get nothing done and all that did was to work in favor of the jets. titans are going straight to the toilet bowl this year
    today the jets get brady and not collins.
    last week the pats ground game had like 160 yards rushing and the passing should open up for the pats.
    curtis martin is out for the jets and mostly on that the pats ground defense is going to be better then the jets ground offense and they should be ready for any passing attack by the jets.
    belichick vs mangini? pats will be ready for this one
    ne 28
    ny 10

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm on NE -5.5

From ML's playbook:
    "It's nearly impossible to fade the Patriots in division play, especially when they have a pair of non-division opponents next.

NE is 8-0 ATS in that situation, 7-0 ATS on the road between home games, and 5-1 ATS in the last six games against the Jets.

The Jets are 2-12 ATS in their last 14 home openers, and are not as good this year as the team who lost and failed to cover both games with the Pats last year."

GL

bmac
    bmac's Avatar Become A Pro!

johnny you takin the over??

JohnnyBoy928

Yeah.. The colts and over

Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    johnny you takin the over??