Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Rutgers wide receiver Mohamed Sanu was the victim of a draft-night prank.

Rutgers wide receiver Mohamed Sanu was the victim of a draft-night prank which led him to believe he was being taken in the first round by the Cincinnati Bengals.

Sanu
    Sanu

As it turns out, the Bengals did select Sanu -- in the third round on Friday night.

Sanu received a phone call from someone identifying himself as a member of the Bengals before Cincinnati made the 27th overall pick on Thursday night, according to Sanu's agent, Mike McCartney.

Sanu and his draft party celebrated until everyone saw the name of guard Kevin Zeitler flash across the TV screen as the Bengals' selection.

"Everybody's going nuts in his home. He's like, 'I can't hear you, Mike, I'll call you soon,' " McCartney told The Star-Ledger on Friday. "His brother calls me and he's euphoric and going nuts. We're all kind of high-fiving over the phone. And I said, 'They're about to show it on ESPN. I'll call you later.'

"And then they show (Kevin) Zeitler," McCartney told the paper.

In the excitement of getting the phone call, McCartney told The Star-Ledger, Sanu had not noticed the incoming phone number had a 908 area code -- making it a northern New Jersey number.

"My mind doesn't work like that. It just doesn't think, 'Oh, this could be a prank call,' " McCartney said, according to the report.

In the end, the Bengals did want Sanu. Cincinnati used the 20th pick in the third round to select him.

"Thank God!! Im a Bengal for REAL!!!! AHHHHH! Bengals baeby!!!!" Sanu wrote on Twitter.

McCartney told ESPN's Andrew Brandt that he called back the number, which Sanu got off his caller ID, but the person on the other end of the line showed little remorse, saying it was "just a practical joke."

"It was some kid from Rutgers who said his friend got his phone and played a practical joke. He was apologetic," McCartney said, according to The Star-Ledger.

"I just said to the kid, 'Do you understand how much pain you just caused? And it's not just him, it's his family. Do you understand what you did?' " McCartney said, according to the report. "At that point, there was nothing more I could do."

Sanu, who last season finished as the Big East's all-time leader in receptions with 210, was expected to be taken in the second or third round. Last season, Sanu caught 115 passes for 1,206 yards and seven touchdowns for Rutgers.

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

That's foul. Good thing he still got selected. Can you imagine the fukking rounds passing by if he wasn't picked? Unreal.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Pranker must be a real jerkoff

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

wonder what he was thinking when the bengals actually called him last night

Bluehorseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    wonder what he was thinking when the bengals actually called him last night
    It's amazing to me the Bengals actually took him after that.

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

Didn't that prank call come from the same area where JJ lives......?

GamblerSpirit
    TheCentaur, Spankie gone fishing :(
    GamblerSpirit's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry N. Lloyd View Post
    Yeah, it was from New Jersey. Anyways, I got a real laugh out of this, and is it safe to say this guy is cursed bc he got drafted by the Bengals, or is he blessed because he got drafted by the same team as he original was duped into believing was drafting him in the first round. This guy is very impressive talent wise.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

They said it was a Rutgers student. I think the Bengals effed up. Hell, they ended up picking him anyway.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

good prank

fuk him....he really thought he was going in the first round? common now...should have caught on immediately

Bluehorseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by Harry N. Lloyd View Post

"Hey listen up Sizzle chest. This is JJ Gold. I'm the new GM of the Cincinnati Bengals. You're playing for us now. Week three you're going to drop a couple of passes, you understand??"

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

I want to see the prank caller

the guy is sharp

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post

"Hey listen up Sizzle chest. This is JJ Gold. I'm the new GM of the Cincinnati Bengals. You're playing for us now. Week three you're going to drop a couple of passes, you understand??"

detroitlionsfan
    detroitlionsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!

he makes himself sound stupid