BRUIN PRIDE
    BRUIN PRIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!

Redskins game

Is Portis supposed to be playing this week?

begolf25
    begolf25's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am sure this is going to be a game time decision but I don't expect to see much of Portis on Monday if any at all. I think they will try to get by with Betts and Duckett Week 1 and give Portis an extra week to be ready for the Cowboys in week 2.

Shawn Springs is listed as doubtful and Clinton Portis is listed as questionable for Monday night' season-opening game against the Minnesota Vikings.
    Springs underwent surgery on his abdomen three weeks ago and has not practiced or played in any games since the Redskins' first preseason game.

If Springs is unable to play, then it is expected that veteran cornerback Kenny Wright would assume a starting role along-side Carlos Rogers. Mike Rumph and Ade Jimoh would serve in nickel packages.

Portis injured his shoulder in the Redskins' first preseason game and has been sidelined ever since. If Portis is unable to play, then it is expected that Ladell Betts, T.J. Duckett and Rock Cartwright would see time at running back.

The Redskins did not practice on Wednesday. The team resumes practice on Thursday afternoon and will continue to work through Saturday in preparation for the season opener.

Head coach Joe Gibbs has said that he would like both Portis and Springs to see action on the practice field before determining whether to activate them for the game.

The Redskins also list defensive end Renaldo Wynn as probable for Monday's game against the Vikings. Wynn is expected to return to practice later this week.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i heard a report by john clayton late last night that he will be playing this weekend.

begolf25

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    i heard a report by john clayton late last night that he will be playing this weekend.
    Dan,
    I can't find anything anywhere saying he might play this weekend. Was this on Sportscenter or NFL Live?

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I happen to catch it on ESPN news about 4:30am last night.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

I wonder if Sheriff Gonnagetcha is going to show up and let everyone know today.

begolf25

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    I happen to catch it on ESPN news about 4:30am last night.

I hope you are right. I'd love to see him out there Monday night. Who knows, Gibbs might be pulling a Belichick.

sportsfreek2184
    sportsfreek2184's Avatar Become A Pro!

minnesota will win the game outright if portis doesn't play, and I think they have a good chance to cover even if he does play

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

hehe, take the under on whatever the skins point total is.

begolf25

Not looking good for Portis. I hope you guys keep sleeping on the skins! It might be ugly Monday night but they will come away 1-0.

Skins' Portis remains questionable
    RB unsure if he can go against Vikes on Monday night
    Posted: Thursday September 7, 2006 5:37PM; Updated: Thursday September 7, 2006 10:04PM

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- Clinton Portis' first Thursday character of the season: a football player who doesn't appear as if he's going to be able to play in his team's first game.

"Today," Portis said, "I'm the 'Injured Man."'

Portis wore a white baseball cap, a gray sweat shirt and black sweat pants, a drab outfit that matched the bleak outlook for his participation in the Washington Redskins' Monday night opener against the Minnesota Vikings.

"I would love to be out on the field," Portis said, "but we've got to look at the long run. We've got to look at the overall season instead of trying to jump back early and play in this game and then miss the key games we've got coming up behind it."

When it was suggested that Portis had just ruled himself out, he replied: "You know, I guess you're just as sad as I am about that news, huh?"

Portis is listed as questionable on the injury report and hasn't completely lost hope of playing, he said he was only "about 75" percent recovered from partially dislocating his left shoulder in the preseason opener against Cincinnati on Aug. 13.

"I would love to go, but at the same time, as the coach told me, if I'm not feeling 100 percent, don't get out and chance it," Portis said. "I've still got to get back into football shape. There's a difference between football shape and the conditioning that I've been doing, so once I get into football shape, I'll get myself back on the field asap."

Portis' slow recovery is a disappointment in two ways. First, for the Redskins, it could deprive them of a star back who ran for a franchise-record 1,516 yards last year. Secondly, for fans everywhere, it meant he didn't dress up in a costume or do anything special for the first of his weekly sessions with reporters. It was a letdown for anyone expecting something like "Southeast Jerome" or "Dolla Bill," two of his characters from last year.

"This is the first Thursday you're going to see me injured," Portis said. "And hopefully the last one."

Portis ran some agility drills early in practice. Coach Joe Gibbs said the back also put on pads and took part in a few plays during the period in which reporters aren't allowed to watch.

"We'll continue to take it day to day and just see what happens," Gibbs said.

If Portis can't play, fifth-year back Ladell Betts will make his third career start.

"I thought about it from the moment Clinton got hurt in the preseason game, so I'm well prepared," said Betts, who ran for 338 yards last year. "What stage would you rather be on? 'Monday Night Football?' Opener? A chance to start?"

Prospects also don't look good for another starter, cornerback Shawn Springs, who has been recovering from abdominal surgery. Springs is listed as doubtful, and he indicated he has much work to do before he can think about playing.

"When I'm able to run effectively, I'll come back," Springs said. "I'm not going to go out there and embarrass myself and embarrass the team."

The Redskins' only other injured player is defensive end Renaldo Wynn, who tried to practice Thursday on his sprained ankle, but had to stop early. He remains probable.

"Three days to go," Wynn said. "Anything is possible. Don't count me out."

sportsfreek
    sportsfreek's Avatar Become A Pro!

Skins will win this game by at least 6 with or without Portis.

John Galt1
    John Galt1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Minnesota +4.5 looks like the right play here.
    Even if Portis plays and I dont think he will he wont be even close to 100%.
    Most books have the Skins at -4 now, Im taking Minny while some books still have the extra half point.

sportsfun
    sportsfun's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5139

yeah lot of dogs covered week 1 so minny might be play here.

JohnnyBoy928
    JohnnyBoy928's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don;t know about this one...I don't like the points...
    I do have the skins though...

My Prediction: Redskins 28, Vikings 10
    Washington Redskins have covered the spread in eight of their last 11 home games.

Quote Originally Posted by McBa1n
    hehe, take the under on whatever the skins point total is.
    Last edited by JohnnyBoy928; 09-11-06 at 12:32 PM.