bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Who gets the starting job in the Bears backfield ?

It's undecided because they want Benson to play, but how do you bench Jones after last season? They need to find an excuse to bench him and/or a reason to play Cedric, but neither back is giving the staff what they need. I really think the front office is going to have their hand forced, and they're going to have to play Jones.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

I think Jones has to start and Benson has to prove he's the #1...
    That's just my opinion and I think by week 5 or 6 I'll be wrong and Benson WILL be the guy by then if the Bears don't have a big start.

The Bear's are the most poorly run franchise in the NFL (top 5 in pro sports - easily), and that's why I have to believe they will do the wrong thing and go over Lovie's head. They've done it before and they likely will do it again. I hope I'm wrong and they do what Mike Brown did out in Cinci - and that's LISTEN to people that know how to win football games. I'm still shocked Marvin Lewis is a winner out there -- because that was the epitome of what was wrong with ownership in pro sports until he got there. Kudos to him and hopefully kudos to Lovie.

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

I totally concur that the Bears want to give Benson the job but he is just slitting his own throat. I think McBa1n's point is correct. Benson should be the starter by Week 6. I also agree that the Bears don't have a choice, at the moment, but to start Thomas Jones and go from there.

E

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

I rolled Cedrick Benson over as one of my keepers thinking there wouldn't be much of a controversy this year But I was able to cover my ample backside at our draft this weekend by picking up Thomas Jones and Adrian Peterson for backups. Also have Edgerrin James and Warrick Dunn, so I should be ok there. Once da' Bears coagulate their feces and make a decision, my backfield should be above average.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Looks like Cedric Benson's starting to wear out his welcome with the Chicago Bears, at least according to this story. "What's become apparent is that Benson, the fourth overall pick in the 2005 draft, isn't a locker-room favorite with the Bears, most of whom love veteran Thomas Jones, who rushed for a career-high 1,335 yards last season," this wire service report claims. "Benson's teammates on defense made this clear when they reportedly hit Benson harder than other backs during camp, one collision resulting in a separated shoulder."

Certainly sounds like Benson hasn't made many friends within the organization. Think a trade's in his future?

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Typical Longhorn turned clubhouse cancer (just trying to draw SBR John out for a comment ).

I sure can't see a trade at this point, Dan. Maybe it's something they look into after the season.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Jones is getting the start for the opener...
    The Benson clock is on. I'll guess week 5.