bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

2006 San Diego Chargers Breakdown

Marty Schottenheimer has been a head coach for 20 years. He has 186 wins, more than the likes of Bill Parcells, Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan. He has taken three teams to the playoffs, Cleveland, Kansas City and San Diego. He has double-digit victories in 10 of his 20 seasons and has had a losing season only twice. As Marty heads into his 5th season, he is on the hot seat. He is coming off a disappointing 9-7 season and has watched his starting quarterback head to New Orleans. There are rumors of a bad relationship with Chargers GM A.J. Smith.

The Chargers are expected to win, though they’ll turn the keys over to Philip Rivers, who has yet to start an NFL game. Marty probably deserves better. A brutal schedule that saw 5 trips to the East Coast last season ruined the Chargers last year. So did some bad losses, at home to the Dolphins, at Philly when a field goal was blocked, run back for a TD in the last 3 minutes. The head coach takes the hit for losses like that. The expectation is they make the playoffs and make a run. Marty had better start to sweat.

Team Strengths:
    Early in the 2005 season a funny thing happened in San Diego. They forgot they had one of the most explosive players in all of football. Ladainian Tomlinson is a home run hitter. For the Chargers to have success he needs the ball in his hands. 25+ carries, coupled with 5 catches a game, minimum. When that happens the Chargers are extremely hard to beat. They are moving the ball and controlling the clock. Antonio Gates is a dangerous weapon and will become a safety valve for Rivers. Wade Phillips has installed the 3-4 defense and they have a star in Shawn Merriman. When you look at the roster on paper it’s is hard to find reasons this team doesn’t win.

Team Weaknesses
    I have to go with Phillip Rivers at quarterback. Drew Brees is gone to New Orleans and the job has been handed to Rivers, the #4 pick in the 2004 draft. Reports out of camp have been extremely positive however, but I need to see it to believe it. There isn’t much talent at the Wide Receiver position, with an aging Keenan McCardell leading the way. The offensive line took a step backward last season after a great 2004 season. They will need to play better for the Chargers to get where they want to go. The defense is fast and talented, but it is designed to get off the field. They are undersized and can get worn down by big offenses and during extended drives. Can Marty win a big game/ Until he does his big game coaching has to be a weakness.

2006 Chargers Schedule:

@Oakland
    Tennessee
    @Baltimore
    Pittsburgh
    @San Francisco
    @Kansas City
    St. Louis
    Cleveland
    @Cincinnati
    @Denver
    Oakland
    @Buffalo
    Denver
    Kansas City
    @Seattle
    Arizona

Based on history, the Chargers are going to lose 2 games on their schedule that they shouldn’t. That is the difference between a team that is 10-6 and 8-8. In this case it is going to be the difference between the Chargers getting to the playoffs and missing them. It is also the difference between Marty keeping his job and finding a new on after the season. My projection of the Bolts is 8-8

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree wholeheartedly. With Marty at the helm, you can be certain the team will gravitate towards .500 even if they're the best or worst team in the league.

bigboydan

I feel this team has a ton of talent, although i do still question Philip Rivers abilities of really stepping it up this year.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Foley shot three times by off-duty cop. Will survive. Out for season. Chargers won't have to pay his salary...

bigboydan

that whole Foley incident just doesn't add up at all.

i can't believe the team at least didn't back him up at all over this one. I know drunk driving is a serious charge and all, but by the chargers not standing behind it's players this whole team could revolt at some point and thats a scarry thought for those whole bet over the season total on the year.

John Galt1
    John Galt1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    that whole Foley incident just doesn't add up at all.

i can't believe the team at least didn't back him up at all over this one. I know drunk driving is a serious charge and all, but by the chargers not standing behind it's players this whole team could revolt at some point and thats a scarry thought for those whole bet over the season total on the year.
    Incident not only hurts team chemistry but its a huge blow in that deffense. They will miss the playoffs this year.

bigboydan

I think the lack of experience for Rivers doesn't help the Chargers out at all either.

I know Rivers isn't a rookie, but it is his first year as a starter in the NFL. That right there is going to cost this team a few losses you have to assume.

shwag
    shwag's Avatar Become A Pro!

Oak sucks. It doesn't matter how Rivers plays

Philip Rivers will be fine. He just hasn't seen much gamespeed action. Once he catches up he will be an excellent quarterback. I've rode the kid for 5 seasons at NC State and he made me a lot of money in games which they were favored with a spread aof about 5 or less.

mjc257
    mjc257's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

I really like the Bolts this season. I just bet OVER 9 a few hours ago. The schedule is pretty easy (half their games are against Oak, Buf, Cle, Ten, SF, Ari, StL). If Rivers is even average at QB, they easily go .500.

Marty is usually pretty good in the regular season, it's the post season when Marty-Ball rears its ugly head.