redsoxfreak91
    redsoxfreak91's Avatar Become A Pro!

Patriots potential wide receiver core for next year

If I were the GM for the Pats I would make these moves to try and get Brady one or two more super bowls....

I love Wes Welker but for 11 mill a year I believe they can go some other options. Brandon Lloyd has already said he wants to follow McDaniels so why not make him a Pat. Reggie Wayne is also a free agent and with peyton leaving I believe he will either want to follow Peyton or head to a veteran lead team--the pats. Finally Randy Moss has said he is coming back next year and his contract would be near the veteran minimum range so why not add him too. That would set the pats up for a X/Y combo of wayne and moss and lloyd as your possession receiver. If Brady can't win with that then something is wrong (even if Randy is more towards his Titans days rather than when he was with NE). Another option would be to keep welker and sign Wayne and Moss with him.

Now to do this you need to dump Ochos six million contract and release Branch and Green-Ellis. This would create the cap room to sign Wayne and Moss with money left over (Wayne made between 5-6 million last year so im guessing a 2 year 10-11 million dollar deal here). If you decided to sign Lloyd over Welker than you will save a bunch of extra money there too. With Green-ellis leaving you still have woodhead, ridley and vareen.

So next years skill positions could be Wayne, Moss, Welker/Lloyd, Ridley, Hernandez, and Gronk. And the best part is the money you will have left over. This money I would spend on a cb or Mario Williams to bolster that line. I believe in Belichick and I believe that he will put together a team to give Brady 1-2 more super bowls.

Scorpion
    Update your status
    Scorpion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15377

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Please not already, worry about your Redsox pal

azimm11
    azimm11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1757

aye aye aye

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6892

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxfreak91 View Post
    If I were the GM for the Pats I would make these moves to try and get Brady one or two more super bowls....

I love Wes Welker but for 11 mill a year I believe they can go some other options. Brandon Lloyd has already said he wants to follow McDaniels so why not make him a Pat. Reggie Wayne is also a free agent and with peyton leaving I believe he will either want to follow Peyton or head to a veteran lead team--the pats. Finally Randy Moss has said he is coming back next year and his contract would be near the veteran minimum range so why not add him too. That would set the pats up for a X/Y combo of wayne and moss and lloyd as your possession receiver. If Brady can't win with that then something is wrong (even if Randy is more towards his Titans days rather than when he was with NE). Another option would be to keep welker and sign Wayne and Moss with him.

Now to do this you need to dump Ochos six million contract and release Branch and Green-Ellis. This would create the cap room to sign Wayne and Moss with money left over (Wayne made between 5-6 million last year so im guessing a 2 year 10-11 million dollar deal here). If you decided to sign Lloyd over Welker than you will save a bunch of extra money there too. With Green-ellis leaving you still have woodhead, ridley and vareen.

So next years skill positions could be Wayne, Moss, Welker/Lloyd, Ridley, Hernandez, and Gronk. And the best part is the money you will have left over. This money I would spend on a cb or Mario Williams to bolster that line. I believe in Belichick and I believe that he will put together a team to give Brady 1-2 more super bowls.

doylfish
    doylfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9805

pats have plenty of cap room to do what they want..pats somewhere around $102 mil w/one contract to truly worry about, and that is welker. cap is supposed to be somewhere around $124 give or take a couple mil. pats looking at a minimum of $20 mil to play with. releasing ocho will be icing for the cap

if we're talking WRs to go after, forget wayne, moss, i'd go after mike wallace like you wouldn't believe, even if he is restricted. steelers won't be able to match what the pats can give him. they're at about $150 mil right now and going to be some crazy restructuring for them to get under cap to even be able to sign their draft picks.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9788

uh no , lloyd likes it in st louis

**** new england, why do they get to load up each year, ocho cinco didn't get alot of passes simply because brady has lost that part of his game and throws to 2 good tight ends now

you can;t have it all

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Glad you aren't Pats GM. Welker will stay in NE either through long term deal or franchised. Too valuable to the offense. Wayne may be a possibility as Belichick loves the guy. Not sure how much he has left in tank though. Wallace would be ideal. Lloyd is a reach. Ditto with Moss, unless he accepts a minimum contract filled with incentives. Branch could be your 3rd or 4th receiver but he doesn't play special teams. They'll draft a kid early who has speed. Law Firm likely done if Ridley and Vereen are ready to step in.

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5626

I love the Mike Wallace scnenario but not at the expense of letting Welker walk. They need a deep threat and nobody gets deeper faster than Wallace. We know Brady can throw down the sidelines as he was prolific when Moss was there so this makes sense to me.

Ocho and his 6 million per year is history. I think Branch is done as well. But what the Patriots need more than anything is a secondary. It was painful to watch Eli complete just about every 3rd and whatever. I-Ras Dowling was the 1st pick in the 2nd round in last year's draft but he got injured early. Maybe he will be something but that secondary is brutal. Me like Wallace lots though.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I think many guys can Play Welker's role
    Its Brady throwing the ball dont forget
    I would get Moss

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

yeah and besides welker dropped that crucial pass. if he wants to be a patriot he needs to take a pay cut

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    yeah and besides welker dropped that crucial pass. if he wants to be a patriot he needs to take a pay cut
    With all he has done since 2007, one drop doesn't diminish his value. Pats will pay him. Last thing they want is him on Jets or back in Miami. Those 2 teams will overpay for him.

If Wallace is restricted I don't see Bill giving up 1st and 3rd*for him even though they have 2 in 1st this season. *moot point since under new guidelines they only have to give up a 1st rounder. If Steelers feel the kid may go elsewhere they could franchise him and try to work out a deal.
    Last edited by Grits n' Gravy; 02-14-12 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Bad info

Blackroc78
    Blackroc78's Avatar Become A Pro!

Welker gotta remain a Patriot! One miss pass doesnt make him a bad player, his a key part of the offense and im sure the Pats can get a few more years out him, forget Moss i hope that moron doesnt end up a Patriot again, his washed up. What they need to do is draft solid players.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Welker has to stay with the Pats. Do you think he's going to catch 100-120 balls with Matt Moore or Robert Griffen throwing to him? The whole reason the Pats stole him from Miami is because they say he was being under utilized and realized how good he was before Miami did.

Patriots should bring Moss back. He's 6'4, still runs a 4.3 and is a dominant deep threat. If they brought in one more above average WR they would be uncoverable.

iwantcougars
    iwantcougars's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

lol at moss running the 40 at 4.3

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Plaxico Burress would fit the mold too. And cheaper than Mike Wallace.

I hope G-Men snatch up Plaxico first though.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxfreak91 View Post
    So next years skill positions could be Wayne, Moss, Welker/Lloyd, Ridley, Hernandez, and Gronk.
    interesting, and totally plausible

Djstucky
    Djstucky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 454

I would haveto go back and look at stats but I seem to remember moss was virtually a non factor for the last several Pats games...I don't remember Brady trying real hard to get Jim the ball...again I may be blowing smoke here...anyone recall his last several games or season for that matter with the Pats???

doylfish

Quote Originally Posted by Djstucky View Post
    I would haveto go back and look at stats but I seem to remember moss was virtually a non factor for the last several Pats games...I don't remember Brady trying real hard to get Jim the ball...again I may be blowing smoke here...anyone recall his last several games or season for that matter with the Pats???
    I remember the last game before he got traded because I was at that one against Buffalo. I remember thinking at the time something was definitely going on because he seemed to still be productive. I did look up his stats though and both those TDs came on his only two receptions of the game, although one was a 35 yd snag. Sounds a lot like plaxico for the jets this year.

poochiecollins
    poochiecollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 534

Why didn't the Patriots take Moss at the beginning of '11 to begin with? Assuming he wasn't asking for top dollar. I'm similarly baffled why some team with a good quarterback didn't pick up Terrell Owens.

3PtShooter
    3PtShooter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16221

i think he will go the rookie rt at WR, will be looking for top notch RB

doylfish

with the WRs available out there this year (plus re-signing Welker) Belichik isn't going to dick around with the draft anymore. He has busted almost every pick he has ever made at WR. (Although apparently he wanted Eric Decker back when denver took him and that kid is looking pretty good for the broncos)

the lone pick he ever made in the first few rounds that truly panned out was Branch..and that was a while back now in the 2nd round..you can add up the guys that have flopped..bethel johnson, brandon tate, taylor price, chad jackson, it goes on. yeah he drafted edelman and slater, but they are role players, not huge difference makers (although on s/t slater is becoming a beast)

one of the big names plus welker comes makes their way onto the roster this year. no doubt. mcdaniels will push real hard for lloyd, the one thing i don't like about him is that he has only ever succeeded under mcdaniels' tutelage so let's hope that could hold up

also don't agree we are going for top notch rb. belichik has never been a huge fan of the one rb game. might not even sign BJGE back and that guy is as reliable as it comes between the tackles, perfect belichik guy in terms of doing what he's supposed to with the ball. NFL is more and more a passing league and pats run game is serviceable. Look at the giants this year, their running game sucked. only guy that would make sense is rice and no way ravens dont franchise him, he's their offense in whole. they'll let the two new young bucks vereen and ridley run it this year and see what they have in them. heck vereen barely made the field last year

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I think many guys can Play Welker's role
    Its Brady throwing the ball dont forget
    I would get Moss

I used to think this, but when Welker went down a few years ago, they were missing a big part of their offense.

Moss is done. They won't be bringing him back unless he wants to sign for the minimum and get cut after 8 games.

Monitor-Tan
    Tony Romo of Daily Fantasy
    Monitor-Tan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 428

Can't give up the law firm, he's the reason why Pats are able to close games.. The ability to move the chain late in the game without fumbling gives you the win.. You can get rid of Branch, Cinco and other players, but the law firm is a must for Pats success