C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Ranking the NFL quarterbacks 2012

1 Peyton Manning - It took a year of injury for people to appreciate how good he is. His line sucks, his run game sucks, and his defense sucks. He's been taking a 1 or 2 win team to the playoffs every year.

1(A) Tom Brady
    - One of the best ever.

3 Aaron Rodgers
    - He's the best QB in the NFL right now and he's not done winning Super Bowls.

4 Drew Brees
    - The top 4 are all elite.

* There is a drop off from after the top 4, they are in their own tier.

5 Eli Manning - He can win on the road, win big games, call his own offense and audibles. He's excellent in 2 min drill ( part of explaining why he's good in the clutch and 4th quarters). He was sacked only 28 times last year in 589 passing attempts. He's excellent at avoiding sacks and injuries. Rodgers for example was sacked 36 times in 502 passing attempts. Eli's offensive line was worse than any of the other good QB's but he was sacked less due to pre snap reads, adjusting pass protection before the snap, and going through his progressions quickly. Giants run game was awful this year but Eli put the offense on his back and threw for 4,933 yards. Eli also has the disadvantage of having one of the hardest home fields to play in which negatively skews his stats.

6 Ben Roethlisburger - Also has two super bowls. One as a young game manager but he also won a super bowl on his own. His offensive line has sucked the last two years, and Ben holding on the ball creates some big plays but it also means hits and injuries. I'd consider Big Ben elite.

7 Philip Rivers
    - People are down on Rivers after a a bad 2011 but there's no doubt in my mind he's in the top 7. Last year people were saying he was top 5. In 2010 he had 30 TD - 13 INT and 4710 yards. He was better than Big Ben and Eli last year but overall I think those two are better and have won the big playoff games. I believe Eli and Big Ben can replicate a lot of Rivers success in San Diego, but I'm not sure he can do what they do. Eli and Big Ben's offensive lines were weak this year.

* Here is another drop off/ 4-7 complete the next tier.

8 Jay Cutler - This is the first one that might be a surprise to you. Cutler is a very good QB and maybe the most physically gifted guy in the league, he just plays with one of the worst units in the league. It's not just that his line has stunk his whole stink in Chicago, his receivers have as well. Unless you are Peyton Manning, nobody would have success with that team. Every QB's stats would suck with that unit so you can't just judge him on his numbers. He also plays in one of the hardest home stadiums for QB's. Very cold and very windy means weaker stats. So how good were the bears when he was replaced? Cutler is easily better than Romo, Schaub and the next guys on the list. If they were Bears they would suck too. If Cutler had Julio Jones, Roddy White, Tony Gonzalez, Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Jason Witten and an offensive line he'd be WINNING playoff games not just getting to them. Look at what he did in Denver as a very young player when you surrounded him with talent.

9 Tony Romo - Guy put up some numbers last year admittedly with a talented team around him. 31 TD 10 INT, nearly 4200 yards. He's a good quarterback but not great. He'll have to start winning some games in the playoffs but I don't really see him ever winning a SB. It's hard to rank him much worse though when he's statistically that good and he has a lot of positive attributes.

* I do think Cutler and Romo are better than #10 and on, these guys are better than the average starting NFL QB but too close to call and still establishing themselves. They have good stats but I think a lot of it is a function of their talent and I'm not sure how replicable it is. For example Matt Cassell fooled people while he stepped in as a Patriot and had good stats but then he sucked it up as a Chief. I'm not saying these guys are Matt Cassell's but I don't like to vary my rankings too much from year to year.

Matt Schaub - Great stats but a lot of it is a product of the best offensive line in football, great running back, great tight end, great WR, other good receivers... good defense this year. I mean the guy has a great supporting cast but I'm not going to fault him for it. I'm just saying if you put him on Pitt/SD/NYG/CHI he wouldn't do as good as the guys above him.

Matt Stafford - Great numbers young grass hopper but you were bailed out by Calvin Johnson wayyyyy too much. If he was on pretty much any other team a lot of those jump balls are intercepted. Playing in a dome helps his stats also.

Matt Ryan
    - The guy has the line, the running back, the tight end, two receivers... but he's not there yet. He can't win on the road and he can't win in the playoffs. The reason is because he's simply not as good as those other guys in the top 10. He MIGHT get better I dunno but he's not top 10 yet despite the good stats early in his career. A lot of it has to do with the superior talent around him.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
    - You might disagree with this one but the guy gets the most out of Buffalo as you can get. I watched him almost single handidly defeat Pittsburgh and Baltimore teams that were better at nearly every single position. His decision making was phenomenal. He almost reminded me of Peyton or Eli Manning in that you couldn't really do better than he did with the team around him.

Cam Newton had a good year but I want to see if he can do it again. I watched a little bit of him this year but I wasn't terribly impressed. Great year for a rookie. 21 TD, 17 INT and 4,000 passing yards but overall I think he left a lot on the field.

Carson Palmer is a guy that can be a solid above average quarterback again.

Vick is overrated. 17 TD - 14 INT and always injured. Played in 16 games once since 2001.

john230
    john230's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would put Romo behind Schaub and Stafford at a minimum. Probably take Vick over him and Newton as well based on his potential.

romecloneout
    romecloneout's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 489

good list

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

rodgers
    brees
    brady
    stafford
    eli
    rothlesburger
    rivers

can't put manning anywhere yet. might still never play again

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9788

horrific list

ttwarrior1

this also might be the 1st year i will take a qb early, Cam newtons rushing td's are too much to pass up. Hell if he only gets 10 instead of 14, ill be happy.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by john230 View Post
    I would put Romo behind Schaub and Stafford at a minimum. Probably take Vick over him and Newton as well based on his potential.
    You take Megatron away from Stafford and what do you have? He was throwing into double and triple coverage and getting touchdowns instead of picks. I seem to remember Daunte Culpepper having some pretty good statistical seasons when he was playing with Moss in his prime in that domed stadium in Minnesota.

You take the #1 offensive line in the league, Adrian Foster, and probably the 2nd best WR in the league away from Schaub and what do you have?

If Stafford was the Cowboys QB, do you think he'd be as good as Romo? Stafford has had 1 year of success, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Schaub has more legs to stand on. His numbers are great , maybe even top 5 in 2010 but I think that's the thing. The guy can do real well if you surround him with talent but what if you don't? Is he going to make the team that much better? If he was on the Bears and had a comically poor offensive line would he do better than what Cutler did throwing to Johnny Knox instead of Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels?

We all laugh at Romo because he can't win the big games but he's a very good regular season QB. Look at the guys on the list after him, they all have their flaws. I just see more upside with Romo than the other guys.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    this also might be the 1st year i will take a qb early, Cam newtons rushing td's are too much to pass up. Hell if he only gets 10 instead of 14, ill be happy.
    I'm not talking about fantasy football, I'm talking about real football. In fantasy football then guys like Stafford and Schaub obviously have more value but they aren't better players. They just play in domes with better teams around them.

ttwarrior1

real football is alot closer to real then u think, either way your list is horrific

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9990

Where is tebow?

john230

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    You take Megatron away from Stafford and what do you have? He was throwing into double and triple coverage and getting touchdowns instead of picks. I seem to remember Daunte Culpepper having some pretty good statistical seasons when he was playing with Moss in his prime in that domed stadium in Minnesota.

You take the #1 offensive line in the league, Adrian Foster, and probably the 2nd best WR in the league away from Schaub and what do you have?

If Stafford was the Cowboys QB, do you think he'd be as good as Romo? Stafford has had 1 year of success, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Schaub has more legs to stand on. His numbers are great , maybe even top 5 in 2010 but I think that's the thing. The guy can do real well if you surround him with talent but what if you don't? Is he going to make the team that much better? If he was on the Bears and had a comically poor offensive line would he do better than what Cutler did throwing to Johnny Knox instead of Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels?

We all laugh at Romo because he can't win the big games but he's a very good regular season QB. Look at the guys on the list after him, they all have their flaws. I just see more upside with Romo than the other guys.
    Agreed that stafford had only one good year. But I was looking at the upside. You said it yourself, that Romo is a good regular season QB. But the great ones shine in the playoffs. Plus he is prone to the big mistakes. I am just not a fan of Romo. Of course when you make these type of grades, it's very subjective.

C-Gold

Agreed that stafford had only one good year. But I was looking at the upside. You said it yourself, that Romo is a good regular season QB. But the great ones shine in the playoffs. Plus he is prone to the big mistakes. I am just not a fan of Romo. Of course when you make these type of grades, it's very subjective.
    I'm not really going by upside, I'm going by what is right now. Plus Stafford is very brittle and injury prone.

Romo makes mistakes but what happens when the center snaps the ball over his head? What happens when the right tackle jumps off sides on 3rd and 8 and pushes the offense back even further. That makes his job that much harder.

I just try and go beyond the numbers. Matt Cassell had some good numbers as a Patriot. Matt Flynn had 500 yards for the Packers this year in a game. Neither of those guys are even average starting NFL QB's.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
    Where is tebow?
    In 2017, in 5 years I'd be shocked if he was starting in the NFL for the Denver Broncos.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

real football is alot closer to real then u think...

Yup , pretty damn close

john230

I'm not really going by upside, I'm going by what is right now. Plus Stafford is very brittle and injury prone.

Romo makes mistakes but what happens when the center snaps the ball over his head? What happens when the right tackle jumps off sides on 3rd and 8 and pushes the offense back even further. That makes his job that much harder.

I just try and go beyond the numbers. Matt Cassell had some good numbers as a Patriot. Matt Flynn had 500 yards for the Packers this year in a game. Neither of those guys are even average starting NFL QB's.

Sounds like you may be a Cowboy fan. I am just saying that if I had to start a team I would take Schaub, Stafford,and Newton over Romo. And don't forget Romo has had his share of injuries as well. Good discussion.

ttwarrior1

1 Drew Brees
    2 A Rodgers
    3 Tom Brady
    4. Cam Newton
    5. Michael Vick
    6 Philip Rivers
    7. Stafford
    8 Eli Manning
    9 P manning: if plays
    10 T romo: wouldn't if be wild if they cut romo and took manning, nobody said a word about that
    11. Matt Ryan
    12. Big Ben
    13 M schaub
    14 andy dalton
    15. jay cutler
    16. c palmer
    17 m flynn
    18 m sanchez
    19 j flacco
    20. tim tebow
    21 s bradford
    22 j freeman

C-Gold

Sounds like you may be a Cowboy fan. I am just saying that if I had to start a team I would take Schaub, Stafford,and Newton over Romo. And don't forget Romo has had his share of injuries as well. Good discussion.
    Starting a team is a different question because age becomes a factor. Schaub isn't so young, Romo sat on the bench for years, Stafford and Newton are younger. None of those guys are top 7 but the top 7 guys are all older.

If I had to start a team today there is no doubt in my mind I'd select Aaron Roders #1 in an NFL keeper draft. He might not be super young but he's hitting his prime and he could still play 10 years in the NFL. It's not like Rodgers "might" or "might not" become Elite, he's already the best in the NFL RIGHT NOW. Id don't think at any point in Schaub/Stafford/Romo/Newton's careers they will ever be the best.

john230

Starting a team is a different question because age becomes a factor. Schaub isn't so young, Romo sat on the bench for years, Stafford and Newton are younger. None of those guys are top 7 but the top 7 guys are all older.

If I had to start a team today there is no doubt in my mind I'd select Aaron Roders #1 in an NFL keeper draft. He might not be super young but he's hitting his prime and he could still play 10 years in the NFL. It's not like Rodgers "might" or "might not" become Elite, he's already the best in the NFL RIGHT NOW. Id don't think at any point in Schaub/Stafford/Romo/Newton's careers they will ever be the best.

Full Time Hobo
    In a Box
    Full Time Hobo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3676

Andy Dalton?
    Don't think Peyton can be on the list....
    Rodgers should be ahead of Brady. I think Brady lost a little bit this year compared to previous seasons. Blame it on injury or whatever.
    Actually looking at this ... Looking beyond your top 4 guys its really jumbled to me.

john230

1 Drew Brees
    2 A Rodgers
    3 Tom Brady
    4. Cam Newton
    5. Michael Vick
    6 Philip Rivers
    7. Stafford
    8 Eli Manning
    10 T romo: wouldn't if be wild if they cut romo and took manning, nobody said a word about that
    11. Matt Ryan
    12. Big Ben
    13 M schaub
    14 andy dalton
    15. jay cutler
    16. c palmer
    17 m flynn
    18 m sanchez
    19 j flacco
    20. tim tebow
    21 s bradford
    22 j freeman

Newton, Rivers, Stafford, Ryan,Vick and Romo over Big Ben? No way. Guy is a winner with 2 rings. Tough as they come.

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Warrior that's one of the worst lists I've ever seen.... this ain't fantasy land..... and. C gold good list... I actually prefer big ben over eli... both are elite... I just like that ben is mobile and has had a dog shyt line his whole career or he would put up a lot better numbers... eli is still tought to judge in my opinion cause he goes in these funks for long stretches... but overall good list

C-Gold

1 Drew Brees
    2 A Rodgers
    3 Tom Brady
    4. Cam Newton
    5. Michael Vick
    6 Philip Rivers
    7. Stafford
    8 Eli Manning
    11. Matt Ryan
    12. Big Ben
    13 M schaub
    14 andy dalton
    15. jay cutler
    16. c palmer
    17 m flynn
    18 m sanchez
    19 j flacco
    20. tim tebow
    21 s bradford
    22 j freeman
    #12 Big Ben ???????
    Behind
    #4 Cam Newton
    #5 Vick
    #7 Matt Stafford
    #9 Peyton Manning
    #11 Matt Ryan?

Are you joking. Did you not see what the Colts did without Peyton Manning? Instead of being a 10 or 11 win playoff team they nearly lost every single game. Do you think Cam/Vick/Stafford could have improved the Colts by 10 wins this year? Vick had a stacked team and couldn't even make the playoffs.

Carolina improved under Cam Newton no doubt. He took over for a 2 win team and they won 6 games but they weren't really the worst team in the league before he took over- they were destroyed by injuries in 2010. Two years ago they weren't as injured and they were 8-8.

Matt Stafford better than Peyton Manning? Now that's comedy gold.

ebbearsfb1

Newton, Rivers, Stafford, Ryan,Vick and Romo over Big Ben? No way. Guy is a winner with 2 rings. Tough as they come.
    Warrior thinks this is fantasy... ben has the worst o line in football... top 5 qb in the league...

ebbearsfb1

This is why people don't take you serious warrior

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Full Time Hobo View Post
    Andy Dalton?
    Don't think Peyton can be on the list....
    Rodgers should be ahead of Brady. I think Brady lost a little bit this year compared to previous seasons. Blame it on injury or whatever.
    Actually looking at this ... Looking beyond your top 4 guys its really jumbled to me.
    There is a drop off after the top 4 but Eli Manning, Big Ben. and Philip Rivers are the next 3. You might re-arrange them but there is no doubt in my mind those guys are objectively the 3 best guys. I prefer Eli over Big Ben and put Rivers at 3. Big Ben and Eli have 4 Super Bowls.

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    Warrior that's one of the worst lists I've ever seen.... this ain't fantasy land..... and. C gold good list... I actually prefer big ben over eli... both are elite... I just like that ben is mobile and has had a dog shyt line his whole career or he would put up a lot better numbers... eli is still tought to judge in my opinion cause he goes in these funks for long stretches... but overall good list
    Pitt line has sucked last 2 years and I agree it makes big Ben's job harder but Eli's line sucked this year. They sucked at full strength and they sucked when they had to start putting backups in there. Big Ben also has health Miller. I think Eli made Victor Cruz. No way he has 1600 yards on any other team in the league. Mario Manningham has a lot of problems, fumbles, dropped passes, tipped passes that get picked, running the wrong route getting balls picked. NOW people say Eli has 3 good WR but who said that coming into this year??? The QB made the WRs look much better than their true worth.

Big Ben is elite though. He holds onto the ball too long but he can because he's the hardest QB in the league to tackle and he's a fantastic scrambler. Sometimes it gets him into trouble but overall it's worth it. Eli just makes quicker throws. They play a different game but they are both Elite. I have a lot of respect for Big Ben's game and he'd be an upgrade for 28 or so teams in the league.

Full Time Hobo
    In a Box
    Full Time Hobo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3676

Warrior its funny how it all comes down to Fantasy with you.
    I would never put Matt Ryan at #11. He's around Flacco level

C gold true. All depends on perspective i guess.

ebbearsfb1

Agree with gold and hobo... same could be said for ben besides heath though . He made wallace and brown better only miller is a first round pick... bad bad o line has hurt him.... but I agree to each is own, if u flipped a coin either ben or eli I wouldn't be complaining... I watch the steelers and giants on a regular basis... its just sometimes with eli it seems like he doesn't know wtf is going on... but I think we all agree they both win and that's what its all about

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Guys won't rate Romo high because he doesn't win big games, but rate Rivers better. Sometimes I think the only exposure you guys get of the nfl is from espn.

ttwarrior1

dude big ben doesn't pass enough to have stats

if your making a list for whoever has the best chance of a superbowl then change the name of your title

you want to bet 5 grand that vick and cam newton will have better stats then big ben next year?????????????????????????

ttwarrior1

not talking fantasy stats, im talking real stats

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    Guys won't rate Romo high because he doesn't win big games, but rate Rivers better. Sometimes I think the only exposure you guys get of the nfl is from espn.
    Good point but Rivers > Romo.

When the Chargers lose it's Mary's fault or Norv's fault. When the Colt's lost it was Manning's fault not Dungy's fault. When the Eagles lost it was Mcnabb's fault not Reids. When the Cowboys lose it's always Romo's fault. It's interesting to see who always gets blamed. But Rivers is still very clearly better than Romo. If he played on the East Coast or for a higher profile franchise he'd get more exposure.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Pretty good list.

I would actually put Romo #7. Why would you say he has a "talented team around him"? Who?? His o-line is a horrible group of nobodys. His has an aging good player in Witten, and a pretty good wide out in Austin.....but who else on that offense is really a good, proven NFL player?

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

ebbearsfb1

Lol warrior ur something else... ben is a top 5 qb... he wins ... that's the worst list I've ever seen

C-Gold

dude big ben doesn't pass enough to have stats

if your making a list for whoever has the best chance of a superbowl then change the name of your title

you want to bet 5 grand that vick and cam newton will have better stats then big ben next year?????????????????????????
    Matt Flynn had better stats than anybody last year, does that mean he's better than Aaron Rodgers and the rest of the NFL?

When QB's get leads late in games they hand the ball off and don't pass. They run out the clock. Your guys got a lot of garbage stats as they were losing games. Cam Newton is a fine example. Pass pass pass because your defense gave up too many points and the game was already over. If Cam's Panthers were up 24-10 late in the 4th quarter he wouldn't be passing either. When he's down big he's picking up cheap yards to boost his stats.

123 Last