frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

An Idiot won 51k off of a SuperBowl very longshot Prop bet

50-1 odds for a safety being the 1st score of the Superbowl. The guy dropped 1k and won. Bad bet, because those odds should be 100-1 for such a low odds of hitting. I don't think there's very many games in the entire history of the NFL, Pre-season included that resulted in the 1st score being a safety. This dude must lost a ton of money life time betting like that. He probably do 10 teamers all the time

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

giants falcons wild card... twice with giants in one post season

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

He didnt just bet on safety he bet on giants safety. Should be 250-1

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Those props are frequently the sharpest ones

Squares would never bet that
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: GamblerSpirit

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Quote Originally Posted by mathdotcom View Post
    Those props are frequently the sharpest ones

Squares would never bet that
    how can a "sharp" predict something like this, please enlighten us

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

This "Idiot" probably has money to burn.

Cruizer
    Cruizer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 149

wtf, mathy's refering to the line, not the bettor

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10364

bad odds he got, should have shopped probably get a better number elsewhere

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Like was mentioned in the other post, the law student screwed the pooch by not betting 5 $200 tickets. That just put him over the 10K limit, meaning Uncle Sam is getting a VEEERRRYYY large portion of it.

Kids a law student, putting 1K on a bad odds prop - money to burn is probably an understatement.

GamblerSpirit
    TheCentaur, Spankie gone fishing :(
    GamblerSpirit's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
    lmao! You're gambling...that's the entire idea.

When you think it can happen, it just might. I was 1-1 in props betting such as this. The way it happened was amazing! It was in another sport and during the NBA Playoffs when the Hawks were playing Miami Clevelandtwo years ago. I honestly thought it would happen, but the odds of this one at BI was 20 to 1. Doesn't even begin to compare to 50 to 1. Thinking back, I should have bet it.
    Last edited by GamblerSpirit; 02-07-12 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Lebron James wasn't with Miami at the time..correction

illAdelph
    illAdelph's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I hit it +5000

20 bills to a stack

Captain Morgan made the bet for me.

Call me a square.

But afterwords im throwin ur bitch a benjamin for a blow job.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

Quote Originally Posted by frostno98 View Post
    50-1 odds for a safety being the 1st score of the Superbowl. The guy dropped 1k and won. Bad bet, because those odds should be 100-1 for such a low odds of hitting. I don't think there's very many games in the entire history of the NFL, Pre-season included that resulted in the 1st score being a safety. This dude must lost a ton of money life time betting like that. He probably do 10 teamers all the time
    Its even worse than that. It was 1st scoring play of game NE Safety.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    how can a "sharp" predict something like this, please enlighten us
    A team with the best defensive line and pass rushers can sack the quarterback into the end zone for the safety. The Giants have one of the best pass rushers in the league.

Brady could have thrown the ball and gotten an incomplete, he was very close to getting sacked, instead the refs counted it as a safety.

EPote14
    Too much juice?!? yea ok! grow a pair
    EPote14's Avatar Become A Pro!

y is he an idiot? sounds like ur mad cause u didn't do it lol

EPote14
    Too much juice?!? yea ok! grow a pair
    EPote14's Avatar Become A Pro!

could of found better odds somewhere else 50-1 does sound a Lil low

NHL Pro Capper
    NHL Pro Capper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why is he an idiot frost? Because it was the Superbowl and he wanted to gamble and have fun? Sure, sharps would not bet that, but hey, he prob will never forget the moment it happened and cashed 50k...the fact is...you are just a jelous loser hater.

If you have so much anger to call a stranger stupid for winning a long shot bet, it just goes to show how bad you are. Not just in terms of gambling, cause you obvious suck and you are a huge loser, but in life in general. You are a nothing.

You hate on people for their success because you are a total loser. Be happy for the guy. Don't worry about other peoples lives, just worry about your own sad pathetic life you loser.
    Points Awarded:

swishersuite gave NHL Pro Capper 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Ellivennecq
    I can hear Atlantis full of cheer.
    Ellivennecq's Avatar Become A Pro!

u mad bro?

Strategic Gamer
    Strategic Gamer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by frostno98 View Post
    You may want to rethink your negativity on this story. Read on:

Super Bowl First-Time $50K Bet Goes to Charity
    Email0Smaller FontTextLarger Text|Print

(Image credit: @BenjaminLyons)

Jona Rechnitz, 29, almost miraculously won $50,000 on a long-shot Super Bowl bet and he is donating his winnings to charity.
    Rechnitz of New York City bet $1,000 that the Giants would score the first points with a safety, at 50 to 1 odds. This was reportedly the first safety since Super Bowl XXV in 1991.
    A group of Rechnitz’s friends make an annual trip to Las Vegas to bet on the Super Bowl and invited him this year for the first time.
    It was a good thing he decided to tag along this year because that bet won him $50,000. He also bet $500 on the Giants.
    This was the first time Rechnitz, who works in real estate, had made a sports bet of any kind.
    “I made one dumb bet–and I made out,” he told ABC News.
    The winnings, however, are going to charity, said Rechnitz. Some of the money will go to a charity of choice of Tom Brady “for good sportsmanship” and the rest will go to charities endorsed by three of the Giants’ defensive lineman.
    Has this encouraged him to make other bets? No.
    “When you beat the odds in Las Vegas, you leave Las Vegas,” he said. ”This is a fluke. It’s not what I do.”
    In other words, he thinks he’ll get out while he’s ahead.
    The tradition of his group of friends is that the biggest winner buys sneakers for everybody else. So he bought $700 worth of sneakers for his friends.
    “I was very happy to,” Rechnitz said.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

this is a bet you throw a 100 down on at the most, even then its practically throwing your money away most of the time. nice hit for him tho.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

i wont be surprised if i never see another superbowl in my life time with a safety as 1st score of the game

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

50/1 was a huge ripoff

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11654

Bingo.

That idiot should also thank his lucky stars that he has nothing to do with any sharps who could have told him how foolish a bet he was making.

Show me a lifetime retail gambler, I'll show you a lifetime loser. Every time.

milkncereal
    milkncereal's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bill simmons mentioned something about this prop before the superbowl. I believe he said the only teams to get safetys were the giants and the patriots this year....Not good odds for this safety, but maybe the linesmakers knew this had a more likely probability then usually happening.

DirkDiggs
    Clippers ML!
    DirkDiggs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Strategic Gamer View Post

Jona Rechnitz, 29, almost miraculously won $50,000 on a long-shot Super Bowl bet and he is donating his winnings to charity.
    Rechnitz of New York City bet $1,000 that the Giants would score the first points with a safety, at 50 to 1 odds. This was reportedly the first safety since Super Bowl XXV in 1991.
    A group of Rechnitz’s friends make an annual trip to Las Vegas to bet on the Super Bowl and invited him this year for the first time.
    It was a good thing he decided to tag along this year because that bet won him $50,000. He also bet $500 on the Giants.
    This was the first time Rechnitz, who works in real estate, had made a sports bet of any kind.
    The winnings, however, are going to charity, said Rechnitz. Some of the money will go to a charity of choice of Tom Brady “for good sportsmanship” and the rest will go to charities endorsed by three of the Giants’ defensive lineman.
    “When you beat the odds in Las Vegas, you leave Las Vegas,” he said. ”This is a fluke. It’s not what I do.”
    The tradition of his group of friends is that the biggest winner buys sneakers for everybody else. So he bought $700 worth of sneakers for his friends.
    I think it's fair to say the dude has money to burn. Nothing against him, dude was messing around and he hit big that's awesome. Furthermore, he took the loot and donated it to charity, again awesome. But there is a ton of privilege there to be able to throw down a G on a long shot that you are getting horrible odds on and then be able to donate the winnings to charity.

milkncereal
    milkncereal's Avatar Become A Pro!

actually it wasnt simmons, another write from grantland. com

"There are about seven or eight safeties each year in the NFL. My unofficial count this year is eight, but for some reason, six of them involved these two teams in one way or another. Is that meaningful when it comes to predicting the likelihood of a safety in the Super Bowl? Absolutely not. You're looking at about a 3 percent chance of a safety happening, which means that the odds for "Yes" should be something like +3233. Betting "No" here, even at -1300, is one of the best prop bets you can make this year. Of course, you will have to risk $100 to win $7.69 in the process."

And he was going with no.. but still 6 out of 8 safetys involving these teams, the odds are lower then usual... it had some makings of possibly happening

Strategic Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by ByeShea View Post
    Bingo.

That idiot should also thank his lucky stars that he has nothing to do with any sharps who could have told him how foolish a bet he was making.

Show me a lifetime retail gambler, I'll show you a lifetime loser. Every time.
    But he only bet once - and won - and never plans to bet again. Plus he gives it all away to charity. Certainly not a lifetime loser here.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

no safety seemed to be mathematically a good bet, because the odds didn't reflect the realities of how rare safeties are.

stuntin909
    stuntin909's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 200

dude was staying at the sky lofts at mgm on super bowl weekend. he's definitely a gambler. something tells me he's donating it so uncle sam doesn't take a cut.

AgiosGerasimos
    AgiosGerasimos's Avatar Become A Pro!

a rich idiot

AgiosGerasimos
    AgiosGerasimos's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think he did say he will donate the money to charity

flocko76
    flocko76's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3316

he probably does.

Quote Originally Posted by Strategic Gamer View Post

That's a nice tax write off.

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Quote Originally Posted by stuntin909 View Post
    dude was staying at the sky lofts at mgm on super bowl weekend. he's definitely a gambler. something tells me he's donating it so uncle sam doesn't take a cut.
    Sky suites dont mean much. If you go to vegas with 7 ppl u can get a 2-3 bedroom 2500 sq foot penthouse for 800-1000 a night. Comes out to $120 each. Or you can pay 85 to stay in the shitty excaliber. Ppl in groups should always get sky suites.*

Wohlford
    Wohlford's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Very curious about the rest of his Sunday bets

DOMINATER
    DOMINATER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

The bet was the first team to score would score on a safety , the numbers were way off . How many times did you see the first score in the game a safety i saw it once, years ago .it should have been 500 to 1.not 50 to 1.he was not an idiot he is a real estate person .he makes one bet a year.

Strategic Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Wohlford View Post
    Very curious about the rest of his Sunday bets
    As the article says he only bet once - and won - and never plans to bet again. Did he get lucky and win a mini-lottery? Certainly. It's as simple as that.

12 Last