rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

What Would the Pats of Done if they Caught that Hail Mary?

This is an interesting hypothetical they could of done 3 things

1. take a knee
    2. kick PAT
    3. go for two

also could of possibly lined up against no defense if the Giants ran off the field. I think they would of took a knee, but if no defense lined up Brady might of just walked in to win by 4.

dudekid
    the mon-fri fantasy guy
    dudekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

im assuming you mean the hail mary in the end zone? im guessing they would have scored the TD, kicked the PAT, went ahead by 3, and pushed/covered the damn spread

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

how is this a hypothetical ? there was no time left on the clock.. game would have been over 23-21 final..

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Probably kicked.. would of only mattered for the spread.. don't believe u can return extra points for points in the nfl

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

odd thread

rm18
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by ProfaneReality View Post
    how is this a hypothetical ? there was no time left on the clock.. game would have been over 23-21 final..
    no you have to attempt conversion, that is college rules

Landscaper
    Banned
    Landscaper's Avatar Become A Pro!

What's going on? Not following

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

it ha snothing to do with the topic but it still bothers me

do they not teach the word 'have' in schools any more?

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    no you have to attempt conversion, that is college rules
    uhh, no you don't. if you score a td to win at end of regulation there's no pat

rm18
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeSSt View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=291129010

did they change the rules since this game I remember having to sweat out if the Titans would kick or take a knee had them -2.5

blackbeSSt

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=291129010 did they change the rules since this game I remember having to sweat out if the Titans would kick or take a knee had them -2.5
    maybe its ot that im thinkin you don't have to kick a pat

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

TD00:00Kenny Britt 10 Yd Pass From Vince Young (Rob Bironas Kick)

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Nfl u do.. college you don't..

blackbeSSt

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    Nfl u do.. college you don't..
    yeah i had ot nfl in my mind. you don't have to there either

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

wouldn't of kicked the extra pt

game wold been over at 23-21

xtra points kicked at zero on clock in regulation in the regular season are only done because one of the playoff tiebreakers is points scored
    Last edited by Br0nxer; 02-06-12 at 02:04 PM.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by Br0nxer View Post
    wouldn't of kicked the extra pt

game wold been over at 23-21

xtra points kicked at zero on clock in regulation in the regular season are only done because one of the playoff tiebreakers is points scored
    please show me in the nfl rule book where it says extra point attempts are mandatory "except in playoff games and the super bowl" because i don't see it

milwaukee mike

this is the only exception in the nfl rule book

"Note 5: See 16-1-1 for exception when a touchdown is scored in an overtime period"

http://static.nfl.com/static/content..._Rule_Book.pdf

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21413

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    please show me in the nfl rule book where it says extra point attempts are mandatory "except in playoff games and the super bowl" because i don't see it
    You're right in theory and certainly the idea is that they line up and attempt the extra point, but I don't see how they could force them to do it. What would the downside if they said eff it we're celebrating, game over? Could/would the refs penalize them for delay of game and then say game can't end on penalty so they have to kick off? I doubt it. And of course they could have lined up and taken a knee. It would have been wild if it happened because I'm sure the field would have been rushed if the pass was caught and they'd have to spend minutes to clear the field to do that. And in this game of course it's no secret to anyone what the line was, so there would have been people yelling either way. I think they would have kicked it, but honestly I don't really know.

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

i know its mandatory in the regular season in regulation time when the score comes right at 0:00

and the only reason it is mandatory is like i said one of the playoff tiebreakers is points scored

they will drag both teams out of the locker room to kick that extra point if they have to which i remember happening a few years ago after a long review on the td

really don't see any reason why it would need to be kicked in the Super Bowl but if thats what the rule says i guess thats what it is
    Last edited by Br0nxer; 02-06-12 at 02:31 PM.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

80% chance

after the hail mary catch Pats would have rushed the field and reporters would have followed - Refs look at clock 00:00 - Refs run off field

Coming Back!
    Coming Back!'s Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeSSt View Post
    Yes there is- 100%

Coming Back!
    Coming Back!'s Avatar Become A Pro!

This is actually a great post. It would of been crazy. The players don't know that and neither does the media. The rule doesn't really make sense. It would of been utter chaos. The Giants would of left the field. They could care less after having their guts ripped out. And if the refs cleared the field, would Brady who would of been high on life take a knee or just run it in and do an F U spike. I think Brady would of ran it in, being high on life and done a F U spike. That's my guess and gamblers would scream bloody murder

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Coming Back! View Post
    This is actually a great post. It would of been crazy. The players don't know that and neither does the media. The rule doesn't really make sense. It would of been utter chaos. The Giants would of left the field. They could care less after having their guts ripped out. And if the refs cleared the field, would Brady who would of been high on life take a knee or just run it in and do an F U spike. I think Brady would of ran it in, being high on life and done a F U spike. That's my guess and gamblers would scream bloody murder
    I don't know. It would have been a crazy situation for sure. Billions of dollars on the line based on what the refs said in a meaningless situation with the game decided. I wonder if maybe the refs would have said you gotta line up or it's a flag and the game can't end on a flag. Of course they could take a knee. And if the defense just flat out doesn't show up that's even more bizarre.

dilaudid8
    dilaudid8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 88

no pat

the guy that said 100 percent is wrong if N.E. would have scored the TD with no time left that's it game over this I know for 100 percent N.E. would have won by 2 point's they only kick the extra point only during the season not in the playoff's with no time left that you can take to the bank because everybody and there mother was on the field so no extra point

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

They would have kicked the fukkin extra point

Why the hell is this even being asked/debated

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan707 View Post
    They would have kicked the fukkin extra point

Why the hell is this even being asked/debated

it's being debated because the field might have been rushed. but in this situation the refs make everyone get back off the field so they can kick the extra point.
    referee team is going to do things by the rules, especially in a highly scrutinized game like the super bowl. you think a ref wants to get fired for not following the rules?

Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

Quote Originally Posted by ProfaneReality View Post
    There would have been no PAT attempt only during the regular season since points can be used in NFL tiebreaks to break ties in standings, no need to break ties for standings in playoffs

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
    There would have been no PAT attempt only during the regular season since points can be used in NFL tiebreaks to break ties in standings, no need to break ties for standings in playoffs
    wrigley i already showed the official nfl rules.
    the rules say that a pat has to be attempted, even if the score is at the end of the game. the rules do not have an exception for playoff games or the super bowl, with the exception of sudden death overtime.

so just because some of you think that there would be no pat, you are wrong the rules state there has to be an attempt or the game isn't over.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Weird never even thought of this really. I am assuming the craziness that would of ensued I'm not sure anyone would of thought of it. Pretty anti-climatic if you ask me.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

wrigley i already showed the official nfl rules.
    the rules say that a pat has to be attempted, even if the score is at the end of the game. the rules do not have an exception for playoff games or the super bowl, with the exception of sudden death overtime.

so just because some of you think that there would be no pat, you are wrong the rules state there has to be an attempt or the game isn't over.
    So then what would the refs do if the Pats refused? Would they flag them and then get the Giants back on the field and let them receive a kickoff because the game can't end on a flag?

I mean, I'm sure if the refs had told NE to line up then I'm sure they would have, I'm just wondering what the recourse would be if they didn't.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

was hoping SF/GB game on Jan 3, 1999 would answer the question but SF scored with 3 seconds left, any playoff game you can think of that ended on a TD on the last play?

http://www.footballdb.com/boxscore/1999010302
    Last edited by smitch124; 02-09-12 at 05:40 PM.

milwaukee mike

Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    was hoping SF/GB game on Jan 3, 1999 would answer the question but SF scored with 3 seconds left, any playoff game you can think of that ended on a TD on the last play?

http://www.footballdb.com/boxscore/1999010302
    oh great you had to remind me of the t.o. game?
    after the fumble by rice that wasn't called?