redsoxfreak91
    redsoxfreak91's Avatar Become A Pro!

49ers in the superbowl?

It is weird to think about. Can Alex Smith really be a super bowl quarterback. I can't see it. Im hammering the giants moneyline tomorrow. Someone point out something I am missing though. It almost seems too easy.

Chimneyfish
    Chimneyfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1283

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxfreak91 View Post
    Someone point out something I am missing though.
    The 49ers are a better football team than the Giants.

Iced
    Iced's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

You're not missing anything. It's gonna be a Super Bowl XLII rematch.

redsoxfreak91

They have a better record. They are not a better team. Eli, Nicks, Manningham, Cruz, Bradshaw, Jacobs > Alex Smith, Crabtree, Gore

JoMoney2785
    JoMoney2785's Avatar Become A Pro!

Vernon davis must not be a big part of that san fran team huh? Lol

Chimneyfish

They have a better record. They are not a better team. Eli, Nicks, Manningham, Cruz, Bradshaw, Jacobs > Alex Smith, Crabtree, Gore
    I said "team," not "offense."

MickeyMan
    MickeyMan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14295

Trent Dilfer

redsoxfreak91

forgot about Davis, but giants offense is way better and the giants defense isnt much worse than the 49ers who gave up about double to the saints than the giants on the packers...in green bay....go check out my new post

psufan
    psufan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4599

Saints offense was way better than Gmen offense all year. And with Gore playing in this rematch, I say. NINERS

beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Funny Giants got beat down by the Saints 49 to 24 this season. Lets see lookin at the stats here 49ers defense ranked 2nd in the league. Where are the Giants uhhhh 25th ranked. Packers starters especially guys like Rodgers and Jennings looked more rusty then anything i still say. The lay off had more to do with the Packers offense struggling then the Giants did. Alot of drops and Rodgers missed a couple guys wide open especially Jennings in the first quarter. Give the Giants credit for winning that game. But to think this is such a easy bet on the Giants is just stupid. Anyway good luck all betting on this game. One more stat total offense this season Giants 9th 49ers 10th just sayin.

Chimneyfish

forgot about Davis, but giants offense is way better and the giants defense isnt much worse than the 49ers who gave up about double to the saints than the giants on the packers...in green bay....go check out my new post

Good luck on Sunday bud.

ramones951
    ramones951's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 891

With the exception of QB's an argument like this means absolutely nothing and shows you dont know too much about football.

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

You're missing 2/3 of the game.

Interesting watch last night showing how the 49ers gain yards through stout defense and excellent special teams.

Chimneyfish

I've brought this up in another thread but I'll say it again here because I think it is the most relevant statistic to this matchup: the Giants' total point differential through the regular season was -6. The 49ers' was +151. Adjusting for schedule strength will close the gap a little, but the 49ers still hold a huge advantage. You can pick these teams apart player by player in an attempt to determine if New York's offensive talent makes up for its poor defense, or vice versa for the Niners, but there's already a stat that does a pretty good job of gauging a team's overall ability to win games. If the 49ers screw up bad enough on Sunday and if the Giants go on to win the Super Bowl, they will be the first team to ever do so after giving up more points than they scored in the regular season.

The arguments in support of the Giants winning this game seem to boil down to a belief that smaller sample sizes are somehow more accurate than larger sample sizes. People are acting as if the most recent game played is the only factor that needs to be considered when evaluating a team. To me, it comes off a lot like, "The Giants beat the best team in football. Therefore, that proves that the Giants are the best team in football."

chopperocker
    Hang on baby, cuz life's a BITCH!!!
    chopperocker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55608

Quote Originally Posted by Chimneyfish View Post
    I've brought this up in another thread but I'll say it again here because I think it is the most relevant statistic to this matchup: the Giants' total point differential through the regular season was -6. The 49ers' was +151. Adjusting for schedule strength will close the gap a little, but the 49ers still hold a huge advantage. You can pick these teams apart player by player in an attempt to determine if New York's offensive talent makes up for its poor defense, or vice versa for the Niners, but there's already a stat that does a pretty good job of gauging a team's overall ability to win games. If the 49ers screw up bad enough on Sunday and if the Giants go on to win the Super Bowl, they will be the first team to ever do so after giving up more points than they scored in the regular season.

The arguments in support of the Giants winning this game seem to boil down to a belief that smaller sample sizes are somehow more accurate than larger sample sizes. People are acting as if the most recent game played is the only factor that needs to be considered when evaluating a team. To me, it comes off a lot like, "The Giants beat the best team in football. Therefore, that proves that the Giants are the best team in football."
    the smaller sample sizes would be san fran as they are the team with a new coaching staff.

Coughlin/Manning NYG are 19-12 SU and 21-10 ATS as a Road Dog since '06.

beating GNB has nothing to do with anything. the super bowl champs are an instant fade anyway going 0-5 SU/ATS in following seasons playoffs since '05-'06.

playoff favs of -2.5 or less are 6-9 SU and 4-11 ATS since '01-'02 season.
    Last edited by chopperocker; 01-22-12 at 01:41 AM.

RoadFavorites$$$
    RoadFavorites$$$'s Avatar Become A Pro!

Actually, they support the fact that the hot team prevails in the NFL playoffs. Which is proven almost every year.

Last year, the Bears and Packers meet in the NFC Championship and even though Cutler got hurt, and even though the Bears had a better year, the Packers were playing better football.

Same thing the year the Giants won the super bowl.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

forty-niners seem pretty hot though, so it's two hot teams. who is hotter? i say 49ers.

ram749
    ram749's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

49 ers are the hottest team in the Universe No Team in Nfl History could beat em, this is the biggest safest surest lock Ever!!! So I've heard! Not so sure I think it's a toss up games just like Sf and New Orleans , I think it goes down to the wire. I think a dip either way would work on both games.

RoadFavorites$$$
    RoadFavorites$$$'s Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ram749 View Post
    49 ers are the hottest team in the Universe No Team in Nfl History could beat em, this is the biggest safest surest lock Ever!!! So I've heard! Not so sure I think it's a toss up games just like Sf and New Orleans , I think it goes down to the wire. I think a dip either way would work on both games.
    Eli Manning vs Alex Smith

If you think it'll be a close game, Giants have to be the pick. The only people who should be on the 49ers are those who think the 49ers win in blowout fashion. Alex Smith won't be facing the worst defense in the NFL this time needing a 4th quarter drive. He'll be facing the Giants.

redsoxfreak91

I understand what you're saying but small sample sizes are the only thing that mattered. Between weeks 5-12 I would never have bet the eagles. About week 13-14 is where they finally turned it around and I bet them based on a few wins rather than a lot of losses when the team wasnt doing well. The Giants had an inconsistent year but they are finally playing to their potential with a great D, and a top 5 offense (yes, Eli Manning almost had 5000 yards this year. More than Rodgers, Rivers, Romo or any QB compared to him)

PlayTheSpread
    PlayTheSpread's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1651

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMan View Post
    Trent Dilfer
    This was my first thought when I read the title of this post....you beat me to it bro!