cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

NY daily news had Alex Smith as #2 draft bust of ALL TIME-From april 2011

I wonder if this guy still has a job.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...gallery-1.4437

But really though who expected this miraculous turnaround?

I know I had him pegged as a loser but he has made strides lately.

Romocide
    Romocide's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3108

Even without the season that Alex Smith has had, I don't think he would be anywhere near #2 draft bust of all time. Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell have #1 & #2 strongly in hand.

bruceBRUCEbruce
    bruceBRUCEbruce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1959

guy had a 67.2 QB rating and 52 tds and 53 ints for his career before this season.

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

if you were to ask this forum, they would say romo is the biggest draft bust and he wasn't even drafted.

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3683

Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Todd Marinovich, Tony Mandarich, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, Andre Ware, Heath Shuler...

All these bums are/were bigger busts!

TOLD YA
    TOLD YA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 570

Alex smith was a bust until this season but you can't blame him, how do you expect a kid to come out of college and be a competitor with 6 different offense coordinators in 6 years

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

obviously it has everything to do with the team you are on, if you are on a good team you will appear as good or better than you really are, if you are on a bad team then you will appear as bad or worse than you really are

you think that if brady or manning had ended up on a crappy team that anyone would know their name today?

especially manning, his only ring and his team won it without him, or should I say had to overcome mannings horrible performances in the playoffs to win it, he is a prime example of how your team mates can make you look better than you really are

dont you think that if tebow was playing for a team with some good receivers his completion % would be much higher?

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

I think the article is just done in Timeline order, rather than ranking them.

I don't think they meant he was the 2nd worst draft pick of all time. Just the 2nd most recent, after Russell.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by Romocide View Post
    Even without the season that Alex Smith has had, I don't think he would be anywhere near #2 draft bust of all time. Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell have #1 & #2 strongly in hand.
    and Tony Mandarich, Akili Smith, Ki-Jana Carter, and many more.

Smith started for several seasons and is still in the league. The real draft busts don't even last more than 2-4 seasons.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Quote Originally Posted by Masu485 View Post
    I think the article is just done in Timeline order, rather than ranking them.

I don't think they meant he was the 2nd worst draft pick of all time. Just the 2nd most recent, after Russell.
    Yep, it's true. They did it in reverse order, with most recent first. Russell->2007->2003 etc.

No one would argue Smith is #2 all time.

Dutchie
    Dutchie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

yeah he shouldn't even be sniffing top ten, if you last in the league as long as Alex Smith has you aren't a bust. Hell, every year 5-10 of the first round picks either get cut before camp ends, make the team but never start, get injured. Look at any team's list from the last 25 year of first round picks and you'll find you've never heard of half of them