ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

GB Joe Philbin quote

Just my opinion, but GB Oc Philbin had a very weird quote. Came back from 3 days of leave after son's death. Came back to the team and said "You are my family, too."

I understand the "Band of Brothers" mentality, but what did he tell his wife? "I'm outta here. Gotta go call plays w/ my boys. You handle the funeral arrangements, and I'll try to squeeze it into my schedule next week." To each his own, but why would you bail on your family during this week? Nobody is going to question you if you take this time off.

New Eng long-snapper Paxton missed game this week, to be w/ ill wife. I have no problem w/ that. Guy did what he had to do.
    Last edited by ChuckyTheGoat; 01-15-12 at 04:17 PM. Reason: this

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Can't make a judgement based on one quote. No idea what is going on.

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

How about the guys five other children? What sense of self-worth does this impart on them? Gee...one of us died and father didnt take the week off from football.

Have the courage and stand up and say I want to be with my family. Your five surviving children's mental health could be at stake.

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

U guys are f'n stupid ... you know nothing based on one quote

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by mighty maron View Post
    How about the guys five other children? What sense of self-worth does this impart on them? Gee...one of us died and father didnt take the week off from football.

Have the courage and stand up and say I want to be with my family. Your five surviving children's mental health could be at stake.
    Agree w/ what you're saying. It's called grieving. You just tell GM Murphy "I need a week to clear my head. I need to be elsewhere." McCarthy would call plays, and absolutely no one would question you.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

She probably understood since the kid had problems.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by robmpink View Post
    She probably understood since the kid had problems.
    Could be. Would like to think that wouldn't be a consideration when a kid perishes.

Think of it like this. Would a guy on an assembly line tell his wife "Gotta put the lugnuts on this week. Can't miss out on work"??

rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Maybe being with the team for a couple days and focusing (trying to, at least) on football is what he needs to cope? He just went through a terrible tragedy, as did the rest of his family, and they're going to deal with it how they feel is best. I think its pretty disturbing that you're judging him for his decision without knowing his reasoning why. What if his family encouraged it?

Point is, you don't know and neither does anyone else.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Could be. Would like to think that wouldn't be a consideration when a kid perishes.

Think of it like this. Would a guy on an assembly line tell his wife "Gotta put the lugnuts on this week. Can't miss out on work"??
    I'm sure before the statement she gave him her blessing to proceed.

blumpkins
    blumpkins's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd want my dad to go do what he does. When you're in a situation like that, the worst thing to do is sit around with everyone and have nothing to do. The football game and the support for your dad would be a nice diversion.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

is this really what's on your mind concerning this game?

wtf is this...tmz? who cares how one guy handles a personal tragedy