GamblerSpirit
    TheCentaur, Spankie gone fishing :(
    GamblerSpirit's Avatar Become A Pro!

Everyone I asked has said the Saints are going to win, so I guess it's a given the Saints are going to win. Gee, I wonder if the public can be wrong? lol Ted Ginn Jr better score some tds on ST because the defense will not disappoint!

ballsyman
    ballsyman's Avatar Become A Pro!

Saints will get the victory hands down, they won't put up 35 points on SF, but you can't go against Drew Brees is this situation, especially when the niners weakness on Defense is there secondary. Saints ml, Tease the saints, Niners at best may cover the 4 or 4.5.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    If you like Saints pick the Saints.
    If you like Niners pick the Niners.

Don't let someone change your mind, go down with what you believe.

Learn lesson after.

I'd wait till game time to see where this line goes. Right now it looks too much of a coin flip.

I agree. Always trust your gut.

Holdin Aces
    Holdin Aces's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

I think the Saints win a close one here, I see it being a fg game one way or the other. Saint's struggle on the road but I think they will find a way to pull it out. The under is my favorite play on the board this weekend. Good luck on your play and great write up.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

holdin aces

do u think its smart to bet on Saints ML and 49ers +3.5

and hope to win both? tell me quick i'm about to bet

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

I think Saints Under 24.5 total points could be a decent play.

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

Quote Originally Posted by nj1035 View Post
    This day and age, great QB beats great defense. Blame it on the new rules, or whatever you want. But I'll take Brees here. Wouldn't be shocked to see a SF win though.

naslax13
    naslax13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2550

**** me. why is everyone on the ******* niners on here

naslax13
    naslax13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2550

im dead

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

I respect your opinion, but I disagree with some of the statements below.

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    Been thinking about this game a lot this week and now I'm really starting to feel like San Fran will pull off the upset. Let's face it: The Saints are a different team when they aren't playing indoors especially in New Orleans. Who is the best defense the Saints played all year? Houston in Week 3? New Orleans has run all over the dreck defenses of the league
    By that same token, look at the teams the SF defense have faced this season. Eight of these games were played against teams that rank in the bottom third offensively. They only faced 5 playoff teams (4 of them wildcard teams) and one of those games was against a PIT team hobbled by Big Ben's bad ankle. Two more of these teams (DET & CIN) got their asses handed to them last week despite playing close games with SF. SF was very fortunate to have the schedule they did, which by my rankings was among the 5 easiest played by anyone this year. They didn't play any games against the top 5 offenses in the league. On the other side, New Orleans had 3 games against top 5 offensive teams (Carolina x2, Green Bay).

11 games indoors this season. Let's look at the 5 outdoor games: Week 1 @ Green Bay: L 42-34 - Game really wasn't as close as people like to say. Packers led by double digits for practically the entire game. Not putting too much stock in this game though as it was the NFL Opener. Week 4 @ Jacksonville: W 23-10 - Saints put up 2 early tds and then struggled to score from that point on as they kicked 3 second half field goals. Still put up a ton of total yardage but this game was more of a struggle than it should have been against a Jags team with Gabbert in only his second career start. Week 5 @ Carolina: W 30-27 - Game-winning drive by Brees as they scored in the final minute. Another game with early success but a struggle to score in the second half with no tds until the final drive. Week 6 @ Tampa Bay: L 26-20 - 3 interceptions for Brees in this one. For fukk sake, this was Tampa Bay's final win of the season. Week 14 @ Tennessee: W 22-17 - Saints were unable to get those explosive plays we're used to seeing from them. Brees was forced to check down for most of the game but was still efficient. Game was 10-9 in favor of the Titans heading into the fourth. New Orleans was fortunate to come away with the victory as Locker took a sack at the Saints 5 yard line as time expired.
    The Packers did lead for most of the game, but were still defending a potential game tying drive in the final minute after surrendering 34 to the Saints. Jacksonville, on the other hand made barely a whimper in the second half and New Orleans was never in danger of losing that game for a second.

What I take from these 5 games is this: The Saints are still a good team but you're kidding yourself if you think they are the same team on the road outdoors. When you take into consideration the different playing surface and the noise factor which limits Brees' ability to make changes at the line of scrimmage, they just aren't quite the same offense.
    Who's under the impression that the Saints offense is as potent on the road as at home? And more importantly, who's implying that they need to score 41 points in this game to beat the Niners? (They score 41ppg at home and 27ppg on the road). The Niners are going to have to play tough defense in this game, but the greater challenge is going to be for their offense to keep pace with the Saints. I feel like it's very unlikely that the Niners are going to hold the Saints below 21 points AT MINIMUM, no matter how well their defense plays.

And crowd noise is nothing new for a visiting team to contend with. It's a known commodity that has long since been factored into the line. Implying the advantage is an addition to the available point spread is not correct. The Saints will likely have a couple of extra false-starts, but with an elite offensive line that's been together for a while, the Saints should be well equipped to deal with crowd noise. (The saints OL is statistically the best in the NFL)

What's most important however is that this is the first time New Orleans has faced a legit defense on the road all year. And by legit defense, I mean the best defense in the NFL. I fully expect the 49ers to put pressure in the face of Brees who is only 6 feet tall. The linebackers are fast and physical and it will be much more difficult to use Sproles out of the backfield and Jimmy Graham as well. The Saints love to use play action but the 49ers don't need help from their safeties to stop the run so they can stay at home and limit the deep passes down the middle of the field.
    This is a scheduling issue that the Saints had no control over, and is also not true. Jacksonville's defense is ranked #5 this season and Atlanta's defense is #6. At home, the Saints also beat Chicago (#4 defense), Houston (#8 defense), and Detroit twice (#9 defense). Rankings from Football Outsiders.

The Niners are actually weak against running backs receiving out of the backfield, and the Saints are very adept at working Jimmy Graham and Darren Sproles together high-low while using Colston/Moore/Meachem to pull the safeties and clear out the middle. You're forced to cover the cluster-f\*\*k in the middle and risk leaving the Saints' WRs in one-on-one coverage downfield or Jimmy Graham will pull in the short slant passes for ~10 yards at a very high completion rate. The Niners do not want to be gambling on 1-on-1 coverage downfield a lot in this game as Meachem & Colston will win these matchups.

San Francisco will put pressure on Brees and he will be forced into making difficult throws. It's impossible to completely stop the Saints offense but I think the 49ers will do a hell of a job and will make enough plays on offense to pull off the upset. I can't believe I'm saying this but Alex Smith has been pretty damn clutch this year and made some money throws under pressure late in games. They don't need him to sling it around the field but he has proven that he can go out there and win a game. I'll decide by Saturday how much I'm putting on this game. 49ers +3.5 will surely be a play as will the ML +whatever. 49ers 20 Saints 17
    Brees is VERY well protected by his offensive line (ranked #1 in run blocking, #3 in pass protection) while the SF pass rush sits down at #22. It would be very surprising to see Brees under significant pressure in this game, and should continue to have the time he needs to let routes develop downfield. The strength of SF's rush defense, as you say, is heavily weighted into the linebackers. But the front line does not penetrate well, and as a result they rank 31st in RB tackles for loss. It's part of running a 3-4 system, but significant when we're talking about an opposing QB that is as dangerous as Brees is when given time to operate.
    Last edited by suicidekings; 01-13-12 at 12:00 AM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Edluva33

cowboyfan08
    cowboyfan08's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

SAINTS-31 SAN FRAN-13!!!!!!!CLOSE AT halftime, SAINTS MAKE HALFTIME ADJUSTMENT THEN GETS UGLY
    SAINTS WIN SUPER BOWL,BET ALL YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

millflavor
    millflavor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5255

does anyone on the niners actually have playoff experience?

suicidekings
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by millflavor View Post
    Akers does

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

Has this saints team ever won a playoff game on the road?

49ers weakness on D is composed of 2 pro-bowlers. I'll put my money on that D against an overhyped offense all day.

suicidekings
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by 8ArIvd5 View Post
    Has this saints team ever won a playoff game on the road? 49ers weakness on D is composed of 2 pro-bowlers. I'll put my money on that D against an overhyped offense all day.
    The hype on the Niners defense is just as significant...

8ArIvd5

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    The hype on the Niners defense is just as significant...
    Don't remember them calling plays with records in mind.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ninersnut

millflavor
    millflavor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5255

Has this saints team ever won a playoff game on the road?

49ers weakness on D is composed of 2 pro-bowlers. I'll put my money on that D against an overhyped offense all day.

suicidekings
    Update your status

Don't remember them calling plays with records in mind.
    By definition, a record-setting offensive group can't be over-hyped...

8ArIvd5

By definition, a record-setting offensive group can't be over-hyped...
    Right.

lesterdymond
    lesterdymond's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 223

great write up..

Anything can happen!

Andrewsurf
    Andrewsurf's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great write up of this game on Grantland today. Bill Barnwell has the Niners winning a close one.

The key here for me is the Saints offensive performance outside on grass versus the Niners defense. Special teams will also play a big role. This one is going to be close, but the Niners have been winning close games all season, the Saints are more accustomed to blowouts.

Regardless, everything there is to be written about this game is pretty much written. I just pounded the Niners ML for 2/3 of the total play on the game. I was waiting to see how the line would move, and the ML went down from +170 to +165 tonight, so it was time to move.

BOL everyone, I'm a Niners homer btw, but that just means I know them very well

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Look out for the status of Roman Harper for the Saints on this one, huge loss for that defense if he doesnt go.

DA_MOSS
    Yepp
    DA_MOSS's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 616

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    Look out for the status of Roman Harper for the Saints on this one, huge loss for that defense if he doesnt go.
    He practiced yesterday and should be 100% for Saturday

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

I had 10 units on Saints ML until i saw this thread. But i think T-wizzle is 3rd best capper in NFL behind Tracer and Paco so i decided to put another 10 units on 49ers.

I bought a half point so I got 49ers +4 and Saints ML. I hope Saints win by a field goal.

Ninersnut
    Money talks and bullshit runs marathons
    Ninersnut's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by DA_MOSS View Post

He practiced yesterday and should be 100% for Saturday
    Yes he practiced and now he is magically 100%. Best scouting report ever. Whatever injury that was bothering him magically disappeared.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Excellent write up, well they say the defense usually wins out in big nfl games although brees looks unstoppable right now

So close

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

I respect your opinion, but I disagree with some of the statements below.

By that same token, look at the teams the SF defense have faced this season. Eight of these games were played against teams that rank in the bottom third offensively. They only faced 5 playoff teams (4 of them wildcard teams) and one of those games was against a PIT team hobbled by Big Ben's bad ankle. Two more of these teams (DET & CIN) got their asses handed to them last week despite playing close games with SF. SF was very fortunate to have the schedule they did, which by my rankings was among the 5 easiest played by anyone this year. They didn't play any games against the top 5 offenses in the league. On the other side, New Orleans had 3 games against top 5 offensive teams (Carolina x2, Green Bay).

The Packers did lead for most of the game, but were still defending a potential game tying drive in the final minute after surrendering 34 to the Saints. Jacksonville, on the other hand made barely a whimper in the second half and New Orleans was never in danger of losing that game for a second.

Who's under the impression that the Saints offense is as potent on the road as at home? And more importantly, who's implying that they need to score 41 points in this game to beat the Niners? (They score 41ppg at home and 27ppg on the road). The Niners are going to have to play tough defense in this game, but the greater challenge is going to be for their offense to keep pace with the Saints. I feel like it's very unlikely that the Niners are going to hold the Saints below 21 points AT MINIMUM, no matter how well their defense plays.

And crowd noise is nothing new for a visiting team to contend with. It's a known commodity that has long since been factored into the line. Implying the advantage is an addition to the available point spread is not correct. The Saints will likely have a couple of extra false-starts, but with an elite offensive line that's been together for a while, the Saints should be well equipped to deal with crowd noise. (The saints OL is statistically the best in the NFL)

This is a scheduling issue that the Saints had no control over, and is also not true. Jacksonville's defense is ranked #5 this season and Atlanta's defense is #6. At home, the Saints also beat Chicago (#4 defense), Houston (#8 defense), and Detroit twice (#9 defense). Rankings from Football Outsiders.

The Niners are actually weak against running backs receiving out of the backfield, and the Saints are very adept at working Jimmy Graham and Darren Sproles together high-low while using Colston/Moore/Meachem to pull the safeties and clear out the middle. You're forced to cover the cluster-f\*\*k in the middle and risk leaving the Saints' WRs in one-on-one coverage downfield or Jimmy Graham will pull in the short slant passes for ~10 yards at a very high completion rate. The Niners do not want to be gambling on 1-on-1 coverage downfield a lot in this game as Meachem & Colston will win these matchups.

Brees is VERY well protected by his offensive line (ranked #1 in run blocking, #3 in pass protection) while the SF pass rush sits down at #22. It would be very surprising to see Brees under significant pressure in this game, and should continue to have the time he needs to let routes develop downfield. The strength of SF's rush defense, as you say, is heavily weighted into the linebackers. But the front line does not penetrate well, and as a result they rank 31st in RB tackles for loss. It's part of running a 3-4 system, but significant when we're talking about an opposing QB that is as dangerous as Brees is when given time to operate.
    Hey man.. I lean your way very strong.. out of curiosity, how many units will you have on the saints this weekend?

DA_MOSS
    Yepp
    DA_MOSS's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Ninersnut View Post
    Yes he practiced and now he is magically 100%. Best scouting report ever. Whatever injury that was bothering him magically disappeared.
    Yepp, that's why I just added another $550 to my Saints -3 play.

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Excellent write up, well they say the defense usually wins out in big nfl games although brees looks unstoppable right now

So close

If that was true then Peyton Manning wouldn't have beat the Ravens about 8-9 times in a row. That hasn't been true since Rodney Harrison/Ty Law and the Pats secondary raped my Colts receivers and the St. Louis receivers downfield so often that they changed the rules.

LotsoCheese
    I want my NFL!
    LotsoCheese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 86

Akers, Jennings (long snapper), Goodwin (Played for Saints 2 years ago), and Peelle. Might have missed 1 but I don't think so.

Ninersnut

Quote Originally Posted by DA_MOSS View Post

Yepp, that's why I just added another $550 to my Saints -3 play.
    So Roman Harper is worth another $550? I can see a QB warranting that but come on now. Go Go Gadget AIR BET!

Ninersnut

Quote Originally Posted by LotsoCheese View Post

Akers, Jennings (long snapper), Goodwin (Played for Saints 2 years ago), and Peelle. Might have missed 1 but I don't think so.
    Justin Smith 1 year with da Bungles.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

I don't really feel like getting into a back and forth debate SK. This is going to be a tough hard-fought game but I've got the 49ers. I had some free time on my hands so I made the writeup. This isn't even close to being my strongest opinion on an NFL game this year but I'm taking the 49ers and I explained why.

DA_MOSS
    Yepp
    DA_MOSS's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Ninersnut View Post
    So Roman Harper is worth another $550? I can see a QB warranting that but come on now. Go Go Gadget AIR BET!
    Nope, just not worried about the 49ers at all.. Like I said, Saints by double digits

Ninersnut

You should take the Alternative Spread then. While you're throwing down that extra $550 why don't you throw SBR a bone and become a Pro? I mean whats $200.

First 12345 ... Last