bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Culpepper will play in Dolphins exhibition opener

i doubt he plays more than maybe a series or two, but it's something you might want to adjust your capping too guys.

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- Daunte Culpepper has received medical clearance to take a hit -- or dish one out.

The Miami Dolphins plan to play their new, surgically repaired quarterback in Saturday's exhibition opener against Jacksonville, coach Nick Saban said Thursday. Culpepper will be exposed to contact for the first time since a knee injury ended his 2005 season with the Minnesota Vikings last October.

Dolphins tight end Randy McMichael said there's no need to worry about his 265-pound teammate's durability.

"I think Daunte will probably go find somebody to hit before they hit him," McMichael said.

When Culpepper tore three ligaments in his right knee, he was told recovery could take a year or more. The Dolphins acquired him in March, unsure whether he would be available for the start of the regular season Sept. 7.

Nearly two weeks into training camp, Culpepper has yet to miss a workout.

"He has done everything in practice that he needs to do," Saban said. "And he wants to play."

From the time Culpepper joined the Dolphins, teammates expected him to be ready for the start of the season because of his dedication to rehabilitation, McMichael said.

"We saw the way he worked when he first came in here," McMichael said. "It was hard to believe he had such a devastating knee injury, because he worked so hard and moved so well."

Like Miami's other starters, Culpepper is expected to see only brief action in the first of four exhibition games.

"To actually have him out there is very exciting for us," McMichael said. "And I know it's exciting for him."

Saban said the Dolphins' three other quarterbacks will also play -- new backup Joey Harrington, Cleo Lemon and Brock Berlin.

The risk of a setback for Culpepper wouldn't be any less if he waited another week to play, Saban said.

"All these decisions are being made based on winning and us having the best chance of being successful when the season starts," Saban said.

Culpepper hasn't talked to reporters since the first camp workout July 29. He said then that he drew satisfaction from his speedy rehabilitation.

"Every day I heard people say, `He's not going to be ready,"' Culpepper said. "I was ready to show that the hard work I've put forth is paying off."

His rapid recovery improves the Dolphins' chances of ending a string of four consecutive seasons without a playoff berth. Culpepper was a three-time Pro Bowl quarterback in Minnesota, most recently in 2004, before his relationship with the organization soured.

HAPPY BOY
    HAPPY BOY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 800

Go PHIns!!!

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree, he won't see much action. It's good to see him back after that major surgery.