brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

John Elway

I don't get it here, maybe I'm just ignorant but I don't see how this guy is a top 5 (or even a top 10) QB all time

Elway had about a 6 year period at the end of his career where he was an elite QB, the rest of his career he posted QB ratings in the 70s and even the 60s. Hell in 1992, he had 10 TDs to 17 Ints. How is this guy on the same level as the Peyton Mannings, Steve Youngs and Joe Montanas of the world who all had better stats by light years???

I understand that he won a bunch of rings but shouldn't that credit mainly go to playing on great teams??? Terry Bradshaw won a bunch of rings but nobody puts him in the top 5 because he did it by being an average performer on fantastic teams

I would take Farve, Young, Marino, Montana, Brady and Manning over Elway by a big margin

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32138

He's not top 5

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

who has him in the top 5 all time?

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Lmao.. come on bull. Every football mind knows he won those super bowls cause of t.d

Djstucky
    Djstucky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 454

Only his close personal friends, family, and maybe die hard bronco fans have this guy as a top 5 qb...if even they have him ranked this high...

brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Quote Originally Posted by ebbearsfb1 View Post
    Lmao.. come on bull. Every football mind knows he won those super bowls cause of t.d

so why do I always hear his name when people talk about the best QBs of all time???

He should be a good distance behind the greats of his era (farve, marino, montana, young) as well as behind the greats of this era (peyton, brees brady)

ebbearsfb1

Idk who your talking to then. Guess your from chicago.. he would of been the best thing to ever play qb there

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

Took the broncos to five superbowls son. No other NFL. Quarteback can even say that, enuff said.

ebbearsfb1

And got blown out in 3 of them.... without td.. he has 0 rings

PAULYPOKER

Who ever says he is not top 5 are to young to know any better,I seen him play, enuff said................

Big Ben molded himself to Elway's style..............

ebbearsfb1

Love big ben... tough as nails

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1710

One of those guys who could never win the big game by himself.

He'd be another Jim Kelly without T.D.

wikkidinsane
    wikkidinsane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

The fact he made it to the other 3 without a terell davis, doesnt that mean anything+ ??????????? LOL NOOBS

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
    maybe I'm just ignorant

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

I guarantee most of you are too young to have seen him play for most of his career. The guy SINGLEHANDEDLY CARRIED three completely untalented scrub teams to the SB. Granted...the NFC won every SB from 84 to 97 (nearly all by blowout) so the AFC was like the minor leagues for most of his career but the guy was amazing. If Terrell Davis made Elway then Jerry Rice/Roger Craig/Bill Walsh/Ronnie Lott/etc. made Joe Montana. I don't care what Elways stats were back then....different time and different game. He carried a team with NO RUNNING GAME...no receivers, and a mediocre defense for over 10 years and gave them a shot. Top 5 easily.....without a doubt whatsover by anyone old enough to know. I'm also not a Denver fan whatsover.

BroncosFN
    BroncosFN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

Watch him against the Houston Oilers in the '91 playoffs...you people are delusional

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Handicapable View Post
    I guarantee most of you are too young to have seen him play for most of his career. The guy SINGLEHANDEDLY CARRIED three completely untalented scrub teams to the SB. Granted...the NFC won every SB from 84 to 97 (nearly all by blowout) so the AFC was like the minor leagues for most of his career but the guy was amazing. If Terrell Davis made Elway then Jerry Rice/Roger Craig/Bill Walsh/Ronnie Lott/etc. made Joe Montana. I don't care what Elways stats were back then....different time and different game. He carried a team with NO RUNNING GAME...no receivers, and a mediocre defense for over 10 years and gave them a shot. Top 5 easily.....without a doubt whatsover by anyone old enough to know. I'm also not a Denver fan whatsover.
    Glad you took the time to explain this to these clueless degenerates,they will just probably ignore it though.......

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

I think Terrel Davis was the reason they won in 98 especially against my jets

Mr Handicapable

It would be like putting Aaron Rodgers on Cleveland and making 3 SBs without upgrading any talent anywhere on their roster. Trust me those Denver teams had NOTHING!

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

john elway is not even top 15 all time

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Elway back in the day. he had no business taking those Bronco teams to Super Bowls. Elway may be the very best of all time at the 2 minute drill. Time and time again I saw his porous defenses give up points and put Elway in bad spots only to watch him come back and lead them to victory. Ask the Cleveland Browns how they feel about Elway. Those who don't think he's top 5, I would implore you to try to get a hold of some of his playoff games in the mid to late 80's and ealry 90's. Someone brought up that Oilers game and I would also suggest the Cleveland game known as "The Drive." Elway was Favre well before Favre came along. Rocket arm, could beat you with his legs, but the main difference was, unlike Favre, Elway had a clutch gene perhaps matched only by Montana. If you give me a choice of qbs, down 4-6 with 2 minutes or less in a playoff game, I choose Elway every day of the week. That and has 5 Super Bowl appearances easily puts him in the top 5.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9605

dude went to 2 superbowls with nobody's early , never had a good defense and what hall of fame receivers or running backs did he ever have. Davis was a system rb, yes good but if u watch, he could do it all. Watching elway back then was like watching aaron rodgers now

Hotdiggity11
    Hotdiggity11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

Elway was a great team QB. Sure, he didn't put up the greatest numbers but he got the job done and was a winner. He's kinda like a Ben Roethlisberger on the field. Won't break many records but is consistent.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

I don't get it here, maybe I'm just ignorant
    uhhhhh yaaa think?

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

These were Elway's record when he retired, and why he's in the top 5 ever conversation for you uneducated feeble minded people.

2nd All time in pass completions before being passed by Farve and Manning

2nd All time in pass Yardage before being passed by Farve and Manning

3rd All time in touchdown passes before being passed by Farve and Manning, while Brady and Brees is right around the corner.

2nd All time in NFL comeback before being passed by Manning

2nd All time in career playoff games started at 22 before passed by Farve.

And lastly the most important stat of all. Elway was Number 1 in NFL wins at 147 before being passed by Farve, with Manning approaching and Brady still miles away. Elway will retain that number 3 spot for a very long time.

And he did all of this in the 90's. In a league that was run oriented, and the defense could do the bump and run passed five yards. Pass interference was also not called frequently like today's pass happy game.

Scorpion
    Update your status
    Scorpion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15377

I would take Farve, Young, Marino, Montana, Brady and Manning over Elway by a big margin

I would take Elway over all those coksukers

get off Tebows kok sir, he sux

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

so why do I always hear his name when people talk about the best QBs of all time???

Because you live in the same age as him. He's still remembered as the comeback, 4th Qrt. guy. In 30 yrs, he won't be part of the conversation.

Brewers in 7
    SBR owes me 45 points
    Brewers in 7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1303

i never heard of him as top 5 QB, they always say he's a top 2 QB..

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

Wasn't he hampered by a poor team and injuries early in his career? Elway in his prime was tough to beat, and even if he did only have 6 great years that ain't no fluke.

Mr Handicapable

Look at it this way concerning Elway. Elway took a barely average team to 3 SBs by himself so how many SBs did Joe Montana (#1 or #2 alltime QB in EVERYONES book) take the Chiefs to? How come Terrell Davis carried Elway but nobody ever mentions Jerry Rice (#1 WR of all-time), Roger Craig, Dwight Clark, Ronnie Lott, etc. as helping carry Montana. Those SF teams were always one of the most talented teams in the NFL back then YEAR AFTER YEAR. Its a team game and most of you knuckleheads always manage to forget that??

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

some of you guys' argument is based on super bowl appearances - then john elway would be the #1 qb of all time and jim kelly would be #2

and by that same argument thurman thomas would be the greatest running back in history, etc etc

kind of silly huh?

PAULYPOKER

He always had great offensive teams but no defense which always exposes you when it counts kinda like what you will see with Green Bay this Year...............

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

You won't see it with Green Bay, but you might see it with the Patriots.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Tom Brady will break all those records

12 Last