Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bush may holdout

Bush's agent said he probably won't sign with the team before training camp.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

That happens a lot with top picks.
    It's pretty stupid, because they lose almost their whole first year and hamper their effectiveness.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

He wants number 1 pick type of money, and he wasnt the number 1 pick. Kids are greedy these days, and Bush should sign as soon as possible. He needs all the work he can get, to play on this level.

I personally think he is going to be a bust in the NFL, but that is just me.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Only way Bush is a bust is if he suffers a terrible injury. He is tailor made for today's NFL offenses.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by isetcap
    Only way Bush is a bust is if he suffers a terrible injury. He is tailor made for today's NFL offenses.
    He is a tailor made Punt/Kick returner. He needs to have a good offensive line in front of him to be a great running back in the NFL. Like he had at USC.

Got to remember, he ran mostly against the sorry defense of the PAC10. I think the defense in the NFL is a little better then the PAC10.

He is another Dante Hall.

kalmikrazy
    kalmikrazy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 283

Another example of a hot shot kid wanting to own it all before proving a lick. I want to see this guy make it big in the pros cause it would be fun to watch but I hope the likes of Urlacher or Ray Lewis give him a couple of good licks to get his head and ego str8.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

i still find it hard to believe that new orleans would agree to pay him #1 money though as he's trying to claim.

isetcap

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan
    i still find it hard to believe that new orleans would agree to pay him #1 money though as he's trying to claim.
    I think it would be perfectly appropriate considering he was unquestionably the best player available in the draft. The simple fact that he wasn't selected #1 does not make him less valuable than any other #1 pick. The fact of the matter is that the Texans decided they wanted to attempt to fill a huge hole in their roster as opposed to taking the best player available. Therefore the Saints were gifted with the best player coming out of college, but that doesn't mean they get to pay him less money.

Bush holds the cards here and he would have to be an absolute idiot with an idiot agent to sign for anything less than #1 money.

bigboydan

as soon as vince young signs with the titians reggie bush will have no leverage left at all, because he will already be sloted salary wise.

yes i guess he could out for the whole year because he recieved all that upfront money from his endorsement deals, but i'm sure those sponsers would put one hell of alot of pressure on him for not signing with the Saints.

isetcap

The Saints need Bush more than Bush needs the Saints. He'll get his price. The only question is how long will it take for the Saints to cough it up.

bigboydan

i don't see him getting the same type of contract as williams at all isetcap. it's pertty much a slotted type pay scale really.

isetcap

i don't see him getting the same type of contract as williams at all isetcap. it's pertty much a slotted type pay scale really.
    That's all about to change.

isetcap

Who would the Saints have picked if they had the first overall pick?

Who would the majority of teams have picked if they had the first overall pick?

Who was projected #1 on every draft board in America.

The Texans decided they wanted to take care of needs instead of picking the best player available. That doesn't mean he still isn't the best player available.

He knows it.
    His agent knows it.
    The Saints know it.

He'll get #1 money.

bigboydan

yes, your right isetcap. he would have been the #1 pick for every team out there but the texans. the problem is he was not picked #1 so there for he will not get #1 type money no matter how you look at it.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

You think Bush wins rookie of the year Iset? When was the last time a kick/punt returner won a rookie of the year?

isetcap

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker
    You think Bush wins rookie of the year Iset? When was the last time a kick/punt returner won a rookie of the year?
    He certainly won't win it if he doesn't play! At least this way he'll be healthy for all of his commercials.

koko
    koko's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 200

Against Oregeon in 2005, Bush had 20 carries for 122 yards, and three catches for 43 yards.

Word around the SC campus was that he couldn't walk for three days after that "stellar" performance. If he couldn't handle 20 carriers against Oregeon's defense, how is he going to survive 30+ carries against ANY NFL defense?

I loved this guy in college ball. I hope he makes it in the NFL, but I suspect he'll be a carry punt/kick returner, assuming he signs and gets his ass to camp.

Illusion

Serious contract talks with Bush's agent is expected to begin today.

Illusion

Saints' Bush misses training camp reporting deadline

JACKSON, Miss. -- Reggie Bush missed a reporting deadline for the New Orleans Saints' training camp Thursday evening.

It appeared he'd be the only unsigned player when the team gathered for its first meeting at 10 a.m. ET on Friday, at which point his holdout would officially begin.

The Saints and second-round draft choice Roman Harper agreed to a four-year contract Thursday night, while Jahri Evans, an offensive lineman taken in the fourth round, and Mike Hass, a sure-handed receiver picked in the sixth round, both agreed to three-year deals.

Neither Saints general manager Mickey Loomis nor Bush's agent, Joel Segal, would comment specifically on negotiations concerning the Heisman Trophy winner. Loomis has said recently that negotiations with Bush are running a "normal" course.

"These negotiations take time, an attention to detail and a lot of work," Loomis said.

Top overall pick Mario Williams signed a six-year, $54 million contract with Houston, with $26.5 million guaranteed. And on Thursday, third pick Vince Young agreed to a five-year deal, with an option for a sixth, with $25.7 million guaranteed and an overall value that could reach $58 million with option and roster bonuses and salary.

Bush was chosen between Williams and Young.

Because Bush likely would have been the No. 1 choice for a number of teams other than Houston, he could be looking for a contract at least as valuable as Williams' deal.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

His biggest issue is Ronnie Brown's 5 yr 30 mil (20 mil, I think, guaranteed) from last year.
    He likely won't get a whole lot more than that... Or the Saints would be nuts to go a whole lot higher than that. They'll pay 10% more at least (the standard), with another year or 2, but that still doesn't get him to what Mario Williams is making.
    Bush is just hurting himself by not getting into camp - it hurts his "easy" money he makes in endorsing crap.

isetcap

The only things Ronnie Brown and Reggie Bush have in common are their initials. Ronnie Brown was not even the best back on his team coming out of college, whereas Heisman winner Reggie Bush is one of the most celebrated backs to come out of USC, a school that has a legacy of producing HOF running backs in the NFL.

bigboydan

i'd personally rather have Ronnie Brown on my team than Reggie Bush though. I just can see Bush being the next Eric Metcalf type player.

isetcap

You obviously didn't see enough Reggie Bush performances...

Eric Metcalf was a Texas scatback who played in the NFL listed at 5'9" 185.

Reggie Bush was a USC tailback who won a national title and a Heisman Trophy and will enter the NFL at 6'0" 205. He'll often be the fastest player on the field with his 4.33 40 speed and his acceleration is blinding. Pair that with his great hands and solid understanding of a pro-style offense.

The correct comparison to make is with Marshall Faulk.

bigboydan

bush was a product of the USC system IMO ... i'm curious how he will be in the pros, my guess he won't be as good as everyone might think.

isetcap

I'm glad Bush and his agent listened to me. He will ultimately receive the largest contract of any player in the 2006 draft. The only question left now is how long will it take for the Saints to put the offer on the table.

bigboydan

reports are comming out tonight that the saints and bush reached a 6 year deal, and expect to announce it sometime on sunday.