brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Does Homefield Advantage Even Exist anymore???

WTF is going on here??

Road teams are 11-4 the last 15 games (2 of the 4 home winners were double digit favorites). Is there any reason for this or just a statistical anamoly???

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

red has hit 11 of the last 15 spins

are roulette wheels balanced anymore?

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

nope! home and away is 50% a piece as the season progresses, it hasnt been a factor before and it isnt going to be a factor now.

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

NFL stats so far,
    STATS VS THE ATS

HOME 66
    AWAY 66

DOG 61
    FAV 68

JoMoney2785
    JoMoney2785's Avatar Become A Pro!

i think it matters in particular cities, not all across the board. take tonights game for example. Raiders went 3 and out on the first drive of the game, and u could barely hear those San Diego fans..if that happened in Detroit, or Chicago, or New York, that crowd would be going bonkers..i think home field advantage really only exists for about half the teams in the league

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

There's actually been a noticeable decline in home team winning percentage in recent years in sports that have incorporated video review (and Questec in baseball) because the crowd effect on the umpires/refs decision-making has less of an impact. The effect is probably the lowest in the NFL because the league enjoys so much parity as compared to NBA where there are truly elite teams.

However HFA is still a very real phenomenon and the idea that a 15 game sample size indicates anything concrete is retarded. You need to do some reading about Variance.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1812

The broad view of home advantage is an illusion and false.

The detailed view of advantages would depend on which teams are good at road advantage and good at home advantage.

Giants and Raiders are good on the road. They are warriors it seems.
    Saints, Bears and Jets are good at home so far this season.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Saints/Detroit/Pittsburg/Cheifs seem like the only places where the home fans directly effect gameplay. New stadiums have pulled fans further away from the action, and priced out the fanitics from the seats near the field. This moving the "crazy" "loudest" fans to low tier seating.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Also bigger stadiums do not hold in the sound like the older stadiums.

For example orignal Cowboy stadium vs "Jerrys World".

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1710

Home Teams are 76-55 SU this year.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32811

Back in the day Mile High was an advantage for Denver.
    Meadowlands was an advantage for Simms and his Giants.
    Montana used Candlestick to his advantage.

Not so much anymore.

raidersfan
    raidersfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Quote Originally Posted by JoMoney2785 View Post
    i think it matters in particular cities, not all across the board. take tonights game for example. Raiders went 3 and out on the first drive of the game, and u could barely hear those San Diego fans..if that happened in Detroit, or Chicago, or New York, that crowd would be going bonkers..i think home field advantage really only exists for about half the teams in the league
    I was at the qualcomm stadium last night and ill tell you there were more raider fans than charger fans there. You would have thought we were in oakland.

Serbone
    Serbone's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
    WTF is going on here??

Road teams are 11-4 the last 15 games (2 of the 4 home winners were double digit favorites). Is there any reason for this or just a statistical anamoly???
    The biggest issue is turf difference, for some teams, it hurts the visitor.
    Example: The Bears are at a disadvantage when they play on the road on artificial turf, their OL is marginal so against good speed rushing teams they are toast. Like at Detroit and at NO Cutler got hammered, they lost on the road, had trouble scoring whereas at Philly and TB he / they were OK.
    There are other examples, also, in the reverse, where artificial turf teams play on soft grass and their speed rush is less effective.... like Dallas.
    But not all teams work this way, it depends upon their strengths and weaknesses.
    But it applies to The Bears and some others.
    The difference affects all of the players, the way they cut, their footwork, etc... but is most relevant as it pertains to the defensive rush vs. the offensive line.
    Last edited by Serbone; 11-11-11 at 11:08 AM.

Lock Of The Aeon
    Fight fire with fire!
    Lock Of The Aeon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1007

Road teams were 8-2 straight up in the early games today. The trend continues.

However, 3 of the road teams that won were favored and only one of them was more than a 3.5 point underdog. That would be Arizona, of course.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

it is hard to beat the steelers in their little hell hole.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

Go buy a gambling book Brah one that has statistical history of the NFL and it will encourage you to play more dogs.

suicidekings
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    There's actually been a noticeable decline in home team winning percentage in recent years in sports that have incorporated video review (and Questec in baseball) because the crowd effect on the umpires/refs decision-making has less of an impact. The effect is probably the lowest in the NFL because the league enjoys so much parity as compared to NBA where there are truly elite teams.
    Perfect example of the effects of video review on HFA tonight. Gronkowski losing the ball was ruled a fumble on the field and Jets ball. It was obviously the wrong call, but without the review, the home team would have gotten the ball back and averted the Patriot TD that followed. I suspect that the original ruling would have favoured the Pats if this game was in Foxborough.

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes Home Field Advantage still exists brahma

chopperocker
    Hang on baby, cuz life's a BITCH!!!
    chopperocker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55608

heres your trends

covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/nfl/trends/league/season.html

if your looking for something to play blindly - bet against home favs of -2 to -6.5 on the moneyline and against the spread. you would be +145.60 units '06 thru '10. average of +29.12 units per season. also bet the over in -1 favs road or home +35.40 units and ATS on -1 favs road/home +41.70 units. thats a cool +251.82 units '06 thru '10. i see -1 favs are 14-7 O/U and 11-9 ATS so far this season. you can check the other trends in attachment.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chopperocker; 11-13-11 at 09:53 PM.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2005

Homefield advantage seems like something that would have more effect in a college game when players get rattled. When I goto an OU game, it's a lot louder than when I goto a Dallas Cowboys game. College kids just get rowdier.

These are professional athletes. I don't think the crowd effects them that much. My friend is at the Jets/Pats game and he just texted me that it wasn't nearly as loud as an OU game.

Last edited by BigDofBA; 11-13-11 at 10:07 PM.

suicidekings
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    Homefield advantage seems like something that would have more effect in a college game when players get rattled. When I goto an OU game, it's a lot louder than when I goto a Dallas Cowboys game. College kids just get rowdier.

These are professional athletes. I don't think the crowd effects them that much. My friend is at the Jets/Pats game and he just texted me that it wasn't nearly as loud as an OU game.

It's not the crowd effect on the players. It's the crowd effect on the refs...

suicidekings
    Update your status

Perfect example of the effects of video review on HFA tonight. Gronkowski losing the ball was ruled a fumble on the field and Jets ball. It was obviously the wrong call, but without the review, the home team would have gotten the ball back and averted the Patriot TD that followed. I suspect that the original ruling would have favoured the Pats if this game was in Foxborough.
    And again tonight. The refs rule it an interception by Woodson on the field, and video review confirms that the ball hit the ground. Ball stays with Minnesota. The refs are going to call these close plays for the home team most of the time, especially in a place like Lambeau. Video review cuts into the effect of HFA, but seeing as the video must show irrefutable proof to overturn the on-field call, the home team will still get the lion's share of the calls.