The General
    The General's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

Did you agree with Manning winning the MVP award this season?

Manning is by far the reason Indy wins any game I think, but I have some thoughts that Pennington did a better job by leading Miami to the playoffs. What was your thoughts when announced?

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

The real MVP was Tom Brady, because the Pats' season without him shows how much he means to them.

But seriorusly, I would have taken Manning over Pennington also. Yes, each is easily the MVP of his team, but the Dolphins were aided by a ridiculously soft schedule.

I will add that if Kurt Warner would have played the way he is now in the closing weeks of the regular season, he would have been my choice. But as it was, I agree with Manning winning.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

I disagree with the timing of the award. Why would you give an award for the regular season when the real MVP is decided in the playoffs? Just to have another award?

roasthawg
    roasthawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah, he was definitely MVP of the regular season.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    I disagree with the timing of the award. Why would you give an award for the regular season when the real MVP is decided in the playoffs? Just to have another award?
    Excellent point that I wonder about in all sports.

roasthawg
    roasthawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Excellent point that I wonder about in all sports.
    Yeah, if you look at the NBA the list of finals mvp's is more impressive than the list of regular season winners.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    It's a regular season award. This point seems to get brought up every year when it is awarded. I think the official name of the award is "regular season NFL MVP".

I'm not sure if they have a "playoffs MVP" apart from Super Bowl MVP.

To me these points are all moot, because it's a stupid award. If I was giving out an MVP award, I'd weight performance versus salary cap number, since we are in the salary cap era. Peyton plays like a king, but he also gets a king's ransom, so he ought to play that way. The real NFL MVP should be the best bargain on the best NFL team in the during the regular season. Throw the guy a bone for getting way underpaid at least for that season. Quit giving the pretty boys extra face time.