Limey
    3-3 so far this season
    Limey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 161

Week Five - picks and thoughts

A very satisfying 5-1 last week. I lost on the Falcons despite them leading 27-7 in the third quarter, but such is life. An odd week this time out as I like more games than usual but with only one play that really merits a larger bet. Here's the skinny:

Jets @ Patriots
    The Patriots defense may not be as bad as it is being painted - the Packers have the next-highest yards-per-play against; when you're winning games you can go into 'prevent' mode - but it doesn't have a lot in common with the Ravens defense that terrorised Mark Sanchez last week. Likewise, the Jets 'D' is a different animal than New England have faced thus far.

This line is just too damn big, especially when the visitors won the last encounter here - in the playoffs no less.
    Mystic Limey forsees: New Jersey 24 - 27 New England
    9 units Jets +9

Titans @ Steelers
    How often do you get to back the Steelers at home, giving up only 3 points? Not often, but that is really irrelevant - you can't be betting teams based on their name and history. What are Pittsburgh doing right NOW is what counts, and the answer is, not a lot.

Still, the Steelers 2-2 record includes three road games out of four, while Mike Munchak's men (I love saying that) face a second straight road trip here. The Titans impressive stats have been racked up, in part, against Jacksonville, Cleveland and Denver. But most importantly in this instance, my A1, eyes-only, classified logarithms have Pittsburgh under-rated and Tennessee over-rated, so PITTSBURGH it is.
    Mystic Limey forsees: Tennessee 16 - 24 Pittsburgh
    4.5 units Steelers -3

Cardinals @ Vikings
    Most weeks I have one bet that feels wrong as soon as I place it, and this is it. However, last week it was Cinci over Buffalo and that turned into a winner so I won't cry just yet.

In a nutshell, I have the Cardinals down as bordering on over-rated, while the Vikings sit 0-4 with losses by just 7, 4, 3 and 5 points. I think they'll force Kolb into some mistakes and carry dome advantage to a first win of the season.
    Mystic Limey forsees: Arizona 17 - 24 Minnesota
    3 units Vikings -3

Buccanneers @ 49ers
    I've been criticising the 49ers all season, and sure enough they are a pathetic, um.... 3-1! However, they are still putting up a feeble offensive yards-per-play ranked 27th in the league and you can't win indefinitely doing that. In fact, San Francisco rank top of my 'over-rated team' statistical indicator.

I'm not wild about Tampa Bay having to make this long trip on the back of a Monday night game, but the Buccs won 21-0 here last season and I'll take a pop at this.
    Mystic Limey forsees: Tampa Bay 23 - 13 49ers
    4 units Buccaneers +2.5

Bengals @ Jaguars
    I don't especially like that Bengals are just an 'okay' team, are away from home and have a rookie QB who could be good or bad on the day. Nor that Jacksonville are at home for the second week running. Most of all I hate that the Jags are down as 'under-rated' on my top-secret stat-indicator, something I rarely bet against. But how can I support the Jags against a good run defense when their passing attack is so poor?
    Mystic Limey forsees: Cincinnatti 21 - 16 Jacksonville
    3 units Bengals +1.5

Chiefs @ Colts
    I envisaged betting against the Colts in every game sans Manning, but their defense has really stepped up and given me pause for thought. However, the Chiefs are heavily under-rated on my index (patent pending) and have been unlucky turnver-wise, recovering a league-low 9% of
    fumbles through four weeks. I think Cassell can get rid of the ball quickly in the face of Freeney & Co., and this merits a small bet.
    Mystic Limey forsees: Kansas City 23 - 14 Indianapolis
    3 units Chiefs +2

Chargers @ Broncos
    Can it be as simple as, the better team wins? I hope so. I think the Chargers might finally put it together on offense on Sunday.
    Mystic Limey forsees: San Diego 31 - 17 Denver
    3 units Chargers -3.5

Enjoy your Sunday!

TEViN-BRADFORD
    TEViN-BRADFORD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

i like jets, steelers and bucs but im on the jags and broncos

loopydude11
    meh
    loopydude11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 339

nice write ups, i only disagree with Pit -3 but they are at home so they will more than likely play tougher than they have been. BOL

good choice with the Vikes

dontbuythehook
    dontbuythehook's Avatar Become A Pro!

final result: 1-6

Limey
    3-3 so far this season

Wow, I got replies. I never get replies.

However, some reasons for the opinions would be nice, guys.

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

Pats are gonna ruin the Jets tomorrow. Not even 9 points is enough sorry dude.

ericool007
    ericool007's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3953

i got pats at minus 7.5 they should win by that at home the jets blow their defense isnt what it use to be

loopydude11
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    Wow, I got replies. I never get replies.

However, some reasons for the opinions would be nice, guys.
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/10...report-friday/

that's why i'd take the Titans

Limey
    3-3 so far this season

Nice, even better replies now :-) That is quite a lengthy Steelers injury list, but I largely ignore injuries beyond QBs, centers, or major OL problems.

As for the Patriots... I'm a Patriots fan so, I'll be delighted if they do hammer the Jets - it'd be worth a losing bet!

Limey
    3-3 so far this season

Quote Originally Posted by ericool007 View Post
    i got pats at minus 7.5 they should win by that at home the jets blow their defense isnt what it use to be
    Again, I'm a Patriots fan, but... Jets defense ranks 5th in yards-per-play. 1st in opposing passer-rating at 57.1 with 2TDs and 6 INTS and a league-leading 52.1% completion percentage.

loopydude11
    meh

Major OL problems? have you been watching the Steelers lately? over half their OL is injured haha they're starting their 3rd different player THIS YEAR at both Left Guard and Left Tackle this week

Willie Colon was placed on injured reserve with a torn triceps after one game; Gilbert, Legursky and Maurkice Pouncey all have sore shoulders; Scott has a banged-up knee to go along with his sprained ankle, and Kemoeatu has hand and knee injuries that might keep him out more than Sunday's game.

Read more: Steelers' patchwork offensive line takes more hits - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1aDpK8v5D

Not to mention Big Ben will be wearing some sort of protective boot which limits his scrambling ability behind that crappy OL

Limey
    3-3 so far this season

Thanks for the info, loopy. I guess I definitely slept on this one!

Oh well. The bet rides.

late4thegame
    late4thegame's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 498

Agree with most. Don't like TB at SF, Indy finally wins and I think Denver steps it up at home. Betting against Pitt at home....I don't get it. Think they get it done. Well written, thanks.

Limey
    3-3 so far this season

Quote Originally Posted by dontbuythehook View Post

Always nice to confound such a post; 4-0 in the early games.

loopydude11
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    Thanks for the info, loopy. I guess I definitely slept on this one!

Oh well. The bet rides.
    haha i was WAY off, Big Ben throws 5 tds the week i cut him from my fantasy team. nice plays my friend

Limey
    3-3 so far this season

Thanks loopy. Steelers looked good on 'D' and Max Starks did well, obviously helped that he wasn't new to the offense.

As things stand, I'm 4-0 but if the Jets don't cover I could end up losing units on the weekend. And the Jets have started like crap.

Limey
    3-3 so far this season

Quote Originally Posted by dontbuythehook View Post
    5-1-1 for the weekend.

14-3-1 the last three weeks.

18-8-1 for the season.

Do come again.