onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4327

Fantasy Football>Torain or Ridley?

I have number 1 waiver pick, and was wondering who I should pick up. Since Ryan Torain and Stevan Ridley will be the hot pick-ups this week. Waivers clear early Wednesday morning.

We all know now Shanahan is with RB's at Washington, and the Patriots aren't known to run the ball all that often. I'm trying to figure out who will become the better RB to have for the long term. Right now I am leaning Torain, as he seemed to be somewhat of a workhorse last year.

Who would you pick up and why?

sipawitz
    sipawitz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 583

id go with torian....he has a track record so to speak, and the pats pass happy offense isnt going anywhere.....plus do you think bellicheck is giving the ball to a rookie later on in the year

mstone897
    mstone897's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 534

I also have #1 spot on waivers and am adding Ridley. I never go with Shanahan RB's. Also Ridley is pretty darn good.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

1 and 1 so far. Anyone else? TT?

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5224

torain is a beast.

Gonz312
    Keep It Simple Stupid
    Gonz312's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8226

Torain will be more consistent as long as he can stay healthy which is a big ?

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

Do you need to pick up either one? If you can compete without using it this week, i'd wait for an injury and you get a clearcut starter

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by EXhoosier10 View Post
    Do you need to pick up either one? If you can compete without using it this week, i'd wait for an injury and you get a clearcut starter
    I don't need either one, but one or both of these two can emerge as a RB1. I was going to drop Knowshon Moreno (backup RB now) to get one of them. I'm also going to drop Bess this week to get a TE, Witten is on BYE week.

My RB's:

LeSean McCoy
    Jahvid Best
    James Starks
    Pierre Thomas
    Knowshon Moreno

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

you've got 2 #1 RB's (at least in PPR) + starks. Maybe you need 1 more rb, id go ridley

TehSharp
    Sh*t Jeremy Lin says
    TehSharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 512

I am dropping moreno in my league to try and get ridley and here is why.

Both Torrain and Ridley are available. Torrain had one good week. He was hurt last year and Shanahan has already said the Helu is the future of their offense. The Skins run the ball alot, but everyone on that offense is on a short leash. Torrain could fumble twice in week 6 and be right back on the 3 RB in their depth chart.

Ridley on the other hand is a good runner, is younger and is in a much better offense. The Pats have BGE, a small not very physical runner who hasn't been having a very good year despite the large leads the Pats have been having. Woodhead isnt an every down back as well. The Pats D is terrible and Brady needs someone in the backfield that can help run some time off the clock when they build up big leads and keep that horrendous defense off the field and resting (because God knows they need it).

Even though Torrain may be a better runner, Ridley will have more chances for garbage carries at the end of games, he has little competition and a little higher ceiling.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by TehSharp View Post
    I am dropping moreno in my league to try and get ridley and here is why.

Both Torrain and Ridley are available. Torrain had one good week. He was hurt last year and Shanahan has already said the Helu is the future of their offense. The Skins run the ball alot, but everyone on that offense is on a short leash. Torrain could fumble twice in week 6 and be right back on the 3 RB in their depth chart.

Ridley on the other hand is a good runner, is younger and is in a much better offense. The Pats have BGE, a small not very physical runner who hasn't been having a very good year despite the large leads the Pats have been having. Woodhead isnt an every down back as well. The Pats D is terrible and Brady needs someone in the backfield that can help run some time off the clock when they build up big leads and keep that horrendous defense off the field and resting (because God knows they need it).

Even though Torrain may be a better runner, Ridley will have more chances for garbage carries at the end of games, he has little competition and a little higher ceiling.
    I've been doing a little more research and thinking. I also was thinking about the fact the Patriots having the huge leads and finally decide to run the ball and run the clock more (after what happen in Buffalo). With the RB's the Patriots have, Ridley would probably be more safe then Torain. Also, I think Woodhead tweaked a ankle last week.

I have started leaning toward Ridley now and have set my Wavier picks like this:

Waiver 1 - Oct 5: Stevan Ridley dropping Davone Bess
    Waiver 2 - Oct 5: Ryan Torain dropping Knowshon Moreno

Trying for both. I know it is a shot in the dark, but why not? I will get Ridley (#1 Wavier Pick), but would be nice to also have Torain.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this, please continue to post about it.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Will Shane Vereen come into play at all for the Patriots this year?

TehSharp
    Sh*t Jeremy Lin says
    TehSharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 512

I just checked the waiver claims in my league and it may be because Torrain is on bye, but he is still a FA when Ridley got snatched up in a hurry

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

I got Stevan Ridley, someone else took Torain after my pick-up.

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Will Shane Vereen come into play at all for the Patriots this year?
    Anyone? I don't think he will.