Romocide
    Romocide's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3108

No rookie in NFL history has surprised me more than Cam Newton

I would have bet my left nut on him being a bust but, he looks like he's gonna end up being a big time player. Go figure. Well done Carolina.

Jive
    Jive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 142

I thought last week's performance was very overrated as he had guys wide open all over the place. I didn't see too much of his game today, but he was very impressive in the parts that I saw. He is surprising me, too, albeit for only two games.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

after watching him in the preseason I did not that he would do anything. I have been shocked with the passing yards he has put up. Even with the INT's today he is still putting his team in a position to win. Something they was not able to do with Clausen. If he learns from trying to force the ball in and Carolina can get the running game going Carolina should get some wins this year.

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

I agree. I thought he was too dumb to play NFL quarterback. He is going to be a good one. Shows what I know about NFL quarterbacks.

TobiasFunke
    Never Nude
    TobiasFunke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 46

Definetly surprising...I could have seen him running for a few TDs but I never would have guessed he would be passing for all these yards

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

Vick and Newton are two other QB's I enjoy watching every Sunday now. I never thought be tuning into a Carolina Panthers game ever, unless I had a bet on that game.

Johnnythunder
    Johnnythunder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 851

Quote Originally Posted by bb_skoots View Post
    I agree. I thought he was too dumb to play NFL quarterback. He is going to be a good one. Shows what I know about NFL quarterbacks.

He is too dumb. Right now he's like the September call up who hits 500 over his first 20 AB's and finishes the season at 200.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

i was looking forward to seeing if cam could cut it. i did not know. i thought he might have the "it" factor. all those great comebacks last year.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

no question he's played great but some notes

-90% of all completions are going to his 2 pro bowl quality TEs/RB to the sideline. Forced to throw long to receivers = 3 INTs like we saw today

-Passing yards most overrated, easily overinflated stat in the game. See Brady's 99 yard TD on broken tackle, Cam's 80 yards in garbage time today

-After every series, he goes to the sideline and puts a towel over his head without looking at pictures of D. He is ignoring his Offensive coach who's trying to coach him. He thinks he has this all figured out. Even after he threw the INT he goes over there and just sits. He has no clue to be so pompous.

-0-2

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9752

there 0-2 ,this must be a joke

firehoyt
    Are you serious, Clark?
    firehoyt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Peeps never give him credit. Idk what else he has to do to prove he's legit?

jbatcha21
    jbatcha21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 168

Randy moss was the most surprising rookie i have ever seen. Cam is doing better than I expected but i am not as high on him as most of the people in this thread

MickChunky
    Dillishaw +715!
    MickChunky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 49

Threw for more yards than that slouch Drew Brees did on GB

Romocide

I can't help but think that CAR -3 at home vs the Jags is the the play of the week next Sunday. The Panthers will get their first W.

Scorpion
    Update your status
    Scorpion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15377

too many INTs and turnovers

just another dumb running QB

Romocide

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    too many INTs and turnovers

just another dumb running QB

He's just a rookie. He's going to make a lot of mistakes. Even the great Peyton Manning threw tons of INTs as a rookie. It's to be expected from a rookie QB. You have to look beyond that and focus on the poise and obvious talent that he's displayed so far.

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Quote Originally Posted by Sunde91 View Post

-90% of all completions are going to his 2 pro bowl quality TEs/RB to the sideline. Forced to throw long to receivers = 3 INTs like we saw today

-Passing yards most overrated, easily overinflated stat in the game. See Brady's 99 yard TD on broken tackle, Cam's 80 yards in garbage time today

-After every series, he goes to the sideline and puts a towel over his head without looking at pictures of D. He is ignoring his Offensive coach who's trying to coach him. He thinks he has this all figured out. Even after he threw the INT he goes over there and just sits. He has no clue to be so pompous.

-0-2
    Dude you really are a racist hater aren't you? Holy shit.

Um, forced to throw long he's connected with Steve Smith for two TD's and 334 yards in two games. (that leads the league) Kind of hard to lead the league as a WR in receiving yards if your QB ain't throwing down field.

And it's not like Tom Brady hasn't been built his career by throwing it to pro-bowl quality TE's/RBs to the sideline.

Maybe. But then look at the active leaders in career passing yards. Of the top 12 QBs, 9 of 12 (75%) have played in the Superbowl. 5/12 have won it. Combined they have 15 Superbowl appearances and 8 Superbowl victories between them in just the last decade. All 12 have played in the Pro Bowl, and all but one (John Kitna) have led their team to either the NFC or AFC championship game.

Of the top 30 career leaders in passing yards, 14/30 won the NFL title. 20/30 played in the NFL title game. Combined they won 23 NFL titles, and 42 NFL title game appearances.

Seems that passing yards are a pretty good indicator of success.

Besides, 400 yards is 400 yards.

-0-2
    I saw numerous shots of Tom Brady/Phil Rivers/Aaron Rodgers on the sidelines today and I didn't see any of them looking at pictures of D. Cause you know, just cause you don't see it on television doesn't mean it don't happen. Stop being a fukking dick and give the kid some props. If it was Andrew Luck the we'd already be anointing him the next Elway.

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

Oh god Ive been told by a Carolina season ticket holder

"racist hater" "give the kid some props" ---> first line reads "no question he's played great"

I must also be racist towards gingers for downplaying Dalton's nice game today in a thread where someone said "he's the next big QB". And he had a better overall game than Cam outside yards.

What does Tom have to do with this. Tom makes perfect throws over the middle routinely. Cam cant throw over the middle. There was one series in the 3rd Quarter where he threw 3 times in a row over the middle. The first 2 were wildly incomplete, the 3rd was an INT. When they get out of the gameplan of running the ball + short passes to TEs/RBs/Smith to the sideline, they cant do anything.

You just named the top 3 QBs in the League, who combine for 4 Super Bowls, and you're going to compare their ethic and knowledge of the game to a rookie who knows nothing and did little to correct his errors after not 1, not 2, but 3 INTs.
    Last edited by Sunde91; 09-19-11 at 12:57 AM.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

When the Panthers start winning I will start watching.

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Oh god Ive been told by a Carolina season ticket holder

"racist hater" "give the kid some props" ---> first line reads "no question he's played great"

I must also be racist towards gingers for downplaying Dalton's nice game today in a thread where someone said "he's the next big QB". And he had a better overall game than Cam outside yards.

What does Tom have to do with this. Tom makes perfect throws over the middle routinely. Cam cant throw over the middle. There was one series in the 3rd Quarter where he threw 3 times in a row over the middle. The first 2 were wildly incomplete, the 3rd was an INT. When they get out of the gameplan of running the ball + short passes to TEs/RBs/Smith to the sideline, they cant do anything.

You just named the top 3 QBs in the League, who combine for 4 Super Bowls, and you're going to compare their ethic and knowledge of the game to a rookie who knows nothing and did little to correct his errors after not 1, not 2, but 3 INTs.
    While it's true I'm a Panthers fan, I was one of many who were royally pissed off they drafted Newton. I didn't want the kid. But he's shown potential.

And yeah, maybe you gave the kid some "props," but then you immediately proceeded to tear him apart attacking his character and integrity for no goddam reason.
    What does Tom have to do with this. Tom makes perfect throws over the middle routinely.
    Tom has everything to do with this. There was a time when the NE staff had such concerns about Brady's arm strength and accuracy they completely limited the playbook. Early on in his career most of his throws were dump-offs to running backs or TE's or short routes to receivers.

When they get out of the gameplan of running the ball + short passes to TEs/RBs/Smith to the sideline, they cant do anything.
    You game-plan to your personnel. When Brady got more game experience they started opening up the playbook. When Cam gets more comfortable, I imagine the Panthers will do the same. And if not, so the fuk what? This was a 2-14 team last year that hung with the Superbowl champs all goddam day. If success hinges on them taking middle routes out of the playbook, so the fuk what?

I'm not going to compare their ethic. All I'm pointing out is that a couple camera shots of the sideline are a piss-poor way to deduce someone's work ethic. And that's why I called you a goddam racist. Because only a racist hater could so easily type-cast a dude from such flimsy evidence.

Yeah, he made some bad decisions/bad throws and they got picked off. But for god's sake man, it was his second fukking game. TWO FUKKING GAMES! After no otas and a shortened training camp! What do you want? Perfection?

Although maybe I'm over-reacting, maybe a future great QB would never have thrown 3 picks in his second game. Oh wait, Peyton Manning did it. Peyton Manning threw 3 int's in his first two games. And 3 of his first 4. Peyton threw 2 or more INTs in 10 games his first season.

And what about Rivers? Rivers has thrown 4 picks in two games, same as Cam. And Rivers is a pro-bowl veteran of 7 years. Rivers has thrown an INT to a DEFENSIVE LINEMAN in back to back games. I guess he's guilty of not working hard to correct his mistakes.

But what about Brady? Well Brady didn't throw an INT his first 5 games in the league. But then they weren't exactly letting him chuck it around. In four of those five games he only attempted 20 or so passes and threw for 202 yards or less in each game. His 6th game? His 6th game he threw the ball 38 times. For 203 yards. And 4 INTs.

Brady's passer rating his first season as a starter? 86.5 (Manning's was 71.2)

Cam's is currently 89.1

You don't know shit.

SO SHUT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK UP.
    Last edited by The Madcap; 09-19-11 at 04:54 AM.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1800

Just shows you the NFL is easier than the SEC.

Never even threw that many yards in college. NFL is a joke now. QB's can get mega passing yards and suck.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

His maturity and poise impressed me most watching the game yesterday. I can't imagine what this guy will be like when he knows a playbook inside out like a 3-5 year veteran does. If Steve Smith catches some of those balls and didn't fumble, Panthers could've won that game. Also, I don't know why the OC went away from Olsen and Shockey so early, they were eating the Packers up with the TE game every time they went to either of those guys. I'm not sure if it was Cam or the OC or the defensive adjustment but I don't know why they were throwing at a healthy Charles Woodsen all day.