Limey
    3-3 so far this season
    Limey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 161

Week 2 picks and thoughts

There may be another pick or two (I am still not finished researching every team :-( ) before kickoff on Sunday, but these are the early selections:

Cardinals @ Redskins
    When you look at the Redskins' stats from last season you wonder how on earth they won six games, on a fairly tough schedule. They couldn't really stop the run (4.6 yards per carry) or the pass, gave up the second-most yards in the league and the fourth-most yards per play. However, the 'Skins were remarkably resilient on third down - and last week they held the Giants to one conversion out of TEN.

The Cardinals 'boasted' a 1-7 record away from home last season, including defeats to non-world-beaters like the Chiefs, 49ers and Panthers. Kevin Kolb alone should make a difference this year, but he's not an unknown quantity to Washington. Last week's not-entirely-convincing win over Carolina and the Cards' travel woes point me towards the Redskins winning fairly ugly.
    Mystic Limey forsees: Arizona 13 - 24 Washington
    5 units Redskins -3.5 and 5 units UNDER 44

Chargers @ Patriots
    I have a feeling that Norv Turner will be treating this game with more urgency than his September usual, after last season's disastreous play-off absence underlined the cost of the Chargers' customary slow starts. There's also the matter of potential playoff seedings, and revenge for a ludicrous home defeat to the Pats last season.

San Diego out-everythinged New England that day, but commited two of the most ridiculous turnovers you'll ever see en route to a four-turnover, last-second post-hitting field goal 3-point loss. The good news for the Bolts is that they out-everythinged New England that day, and they may well have read something on the internet (I don't know how much research NFL teams do) about the Dolphins - the Dolphins - putting up 488 yards of offense against the Patriots on Monday.
    Mystic Limey forsees: San Diego 31 - 30 New England
    5 units Chargers +7

Enjoy your Sunday!

Limey
    3-3 so far this season
    Limey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 161

Additional play. I think I'm forcing bets a bit this week because nothing is jumping out as a great bet. Oh well, it's supposed to be fun, right?

Raiders @ Bills
    I backed the Raiders at Denver on Monday night and was glad of the profit. However, they weren't as impressive as I hoped. Meanwhile I regretted passing on betting the Bills after much agonising, as they recorded that 41-7 humbling of the Chiefs. That win also wasn't quite as impressive as it appears, with Buffalo handed two turnovers inside the Kansas City 25-yard line and getting an early lead that forced the Chiefs to more or less abandon the run.

Oakland managed 4.9 yards per carry on Monday night (which was also their average for the 2010 season) and Buffalo may still have trouble preventing yards on the ground. Still, I don't think the Bills will make as many mistakes as Denver did six days ago, and you just can't ignore the Raiders' terrible struggles when travelling east.
    Mystic Limey forsees: Oakland 17 - 26 Buffalo
    4 units Bills -4