bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Vinny back up for Frye?

Is Crennel joking

Without speaking his name, Browns coach Romeo Crennel indicated there's a player available who can step in if Ken Dorsey can't fill the backup quarterback role behind Charlie Frye.

Here's a hint: He's 42 and played for Cleveland a decade ago.

"I've got a guy in mind who knows the system," Crennel said yesterday. "He might be a little older than I am, but he can still line up."

Crennel said he hadn't contacted Vinny Testaverde, but added that it's a call the team could make late in training camp if necessary. Testaverde played in six games, starting four, last season for the Jets after season-ending injuries to Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler. He said at the end of the season he was retiring

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Vinny is a third stringer at best. This wouldn't be a wise move.

bigboydan

vinny was done 3 or 4 years ago.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Its the Browns we are talking about. They are not going anywhere anytime soon anyway. Vinny could be a father figure for that poor azz team.

bigboydan

father figure or not looker. when bill parcells releases him, people should know your done especially at that age he is right now.

scottyy11
    scottyy11's Avatar Become A Pro!

maybe as a qb coach nothing else

bigboydan

that would make the most sense for the browns should do.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

For the 3rd string slot, Vinny is adequate THIS season. The Browns are going nowhere this year, and Frye is THE guy. Usually the 3rd QB slot is for a developing player. If the Browns don't have that guy lined up, why press the issue? Just flop Vinny in the slot, and you've got a stop gap if it comes to that.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Frye looked fantastic last year - w/l record aside (although - that was very impressive, also).
    Vinny is a great backup. He's close, if not already there, washed up, but what do you want out of a backup?
    Not every team can have a David Gerrard hanging out... I think it's a good pick-up. He can win a game, maybe 2, if the starter is out for an extended amount of time.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Frye is being ranked dead last on many peoples depth charts around the league.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    Frye is being ranked dead last on many peoples depth charts around the league.
    What do you mean? Frye plays for Cleveland. He shouldn't be listed anywhere else in the league on a depth chart.

Frye is #1 on Cleveland's depth chart and will stay that way barring injury. I imagine Dorsey is #2, even though Vinny could probably win the #2 job from him. Like I said, if Frye goes down, you might as well call up Steve DeBerg to start. It really won't matter