beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

NFL prepares for 8-game season contingency plan

It's not an absolute lead-pipe lock that we'll have a full NFL season, and as such, the owners and commissioner have been planning for alternate shortened seasons, the likes of which we haven't had since 1987, which was the last time there was a work stoppage. And when all is said and done, the 15-game season then — with replacement player games interspersed — may seem like a gift if the plans the league are discussing become a reality. In 1982, only nine regular-season games were played because of what was then the longest work stoppage in NFL history.
    According to Daniel Kaplan of the Sports Business Journal, the league is now planning for how pro football would be played with an eight-game season that could start in late November, based on a possible settlement in October that would allow for a free-agency period and training camp.
    The 16-game schedule for 2011 was released on April 19, and there's been some thought that the schedule could still be played in full even if it started in Week 4. In that case, all byes and the week between the conference championships and Super Bowl would be eliminated, the Super Bowl would be pushed back a week, and the early scheduled games could be played at the end of the regular season. It's not known how an eight-game season would work out — interdivision matchups would take six games from each team, and the other two in-season games could be set up in several different ways.

timmyboy34243
    eaglesphan
    timmyboy34243's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17060

if there is little to no training camp be alert for a Brett Favre watch. this would fit right into his M.O...............

CaptainPrice
    CaptainPrice's Avatar Become A Pro!

If they need replacement players. When do I try out?

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPrice View Post
    If they need replacement players. When do I try out?
    I'm with you.

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

8-game season won't happen... these fukks are as greedy as they get and are realizing the proverbial "pie" is shrinking as the hours go by. They are currently in serious talks, keeping the lawyers out of the talks in order to actually achieve a deal... something the lawyers obviously hindered.

"keeping the lockout in place past August 1 will cost the NFL $350 million. Canceling the preseason would escalate to $1 billion lost."

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

As a die hard football I'd honestly rather see no season at all rather than a pussy 8 game sched. I know its getting closer and closer to preseason but there is still plenty of time to make a decision. Both parties recognize what they'll both lose out by not coming to terms with one another. So with that being said, when a legitimate offer is presented, one side will have to be ripped off a tad but they'll be a full season come September.

My fingers are still crossed.

CaptainPrice
    CaptainPrice's Avatar Become A Pro!

Now I want there to be a lockout so I can play!!

Raleigh77
    Raleigh77's Avatar Become A Pro!

They have to have a contingency plan even if it's not what they want. It can't be all or nothing; it's too early for that.