mr.wizinator signs with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers

WINNIPEG (AP) -- Onterrio Smith, who sat out last season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, signed a contract Friday with the CFL's Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

The former Minnesota Viking running back was released last month with six weeks remaining on the one-year suspension he received for violating the drug policy.

In May 2005, Smith was caught at the Minneapolis airport with a device designed to beat drug tests -- called The Original Whizzinator. Smith claimed the kit was for his cousin and he wasn't charged by police.

Less than a month later, Smith was suspended for the entire 2005 season for a third violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy.

He was a fourth-round pick by the Vikings in 2003.

Smith rushed for 579 yards and five touchdowns in his rookie season. He missed four games in 2004 for violating the substance abuse policy, but returned to rush for 544 yards in 12 games.

"Onterrio Smith is an exciting, dynamic player who will add a lot to this team," Bombers general manager Brendan Taman said in a statement. "In addition to his outstanding skills as a running back, he is an outstanding kick returner and receiver."

Problems off the field have often kept Smith from realizing his full potential. He transferred from Tennessee to Oregon while in college after being dismissed from the Volunteers for marijuana use.

In May, Smith was caught at the Minneapolis airport with the Whizzinator and several vials of dried urine when his bag was scanned by security. Mere possession of the device is not enough to break league rules, but he received a drug suspension a month later.

That left Smith with few options if he wanted to continue his football career, so he headed to Canada.

"My skill is still there," Smith said in a statement issued by Winnipeg. "It's just a case of coming up there and learning the system. I've already been checking through the rule book and getting a feel for the (CFL) game. It's brand new to me. But it's football, so I'll be able to adjust on the run."

The Vikings had already resigned themselves to life without Smith. They terminated his contract just before the draft, choosing instead to go with Chester Taylor, Mewelde Moore and Ciatrick Fason in the backfield.

Smith still could be reinstated by the NFL as early as October.