pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    I can certainly appreciate anyone trying to make as much money as they can. I don't think you can fault either side for that. I don't think there's a finish line for wealth. If I had 2 billion, I would do whatever possible to make it 3. Who wouldn't? That's how fortunes are built.

This being said....I hope for all of us fans they reach a compromise soon.
    Greed is what brought this country down. Enron, Tyco, AIG, Lehman Brothers, Madoff, etc. The owners are going to take the wrath of the fans if the season doesn't start. The players are the ones risking permanent injury and the owners are just sitting their counting money.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadSniper View Post
    fans should boycott going to games this season... just tailgate the shit outta the bitch and fukk the seats.... We are the driving force behind this fukkin money making machine and these fukks keep spitting in our faces.
    The players have a union, the owners have a union, maybe the fans need a union too? Someone needs to step up.

knelson
    knelson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

That would make this situation even worse...

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

good...eli manning would sell cell phones at a verizon store then..back to reality

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4120

The players don't have a union.... what union decertifies as a tool to bargain with.... NONE. Owners shut the NFL down.... EFFFF everyone. Bargain or screw off. Don't play pussy which is what the players did.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by 20Four7 View Post
    The players don't have a union.... what union decertifies as a tool to bargain with.... NONE. Owners shut the NFL down.... EFFFF everyone. Bargain or screw off. Don't play pussy which is what the players did.
    This is a good point. It's all legal mumbo jumbo at this point. None of this terminology means anything anyway.

Bottom line, this will get done. I'm not worried about it. Heck, most vets are glad to get some extra time off.

kidcd
    kidcd's Avatar Become A Pro!

Only the rich owners could screw up such a good thing greed will ruin sports

iwantcougars
    iwantcougars's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 679

perhaps this is the owners plan to raise their ticket prices and the fans wont be upset

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

The players union decertifying was necessary to begin REAL two-way bargaining. As matter of fact, it would have been ILLEGAL if they did not decertify.

That is why the owners are suing the players, alleging they are still operating as a "union." Which would be against the law.
    Last edited by brooks85; 05-13-11 at 04:00 PM.

agharah1
    agharah1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1191

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    This is a good point. It's all legal mumbo jumbo at this point. None of this terminology means anything anyway.
    That couldn't be wronger. If the players didn't decertify their union they wouldn't have been able to sue under antitrust laws. The last time there was a strike, the courts told them they could sue under Labor law, antitrust law, but not both. And since Labor Law in the Reagan Era has pretty much been gutted to smithereens that left only one option.

Realistically, here's what it comes down to. The players don't want to do OTAs. The owners do not want to pay the players for OTAs. So once they get to the end of the summer they'll cut a deal, have training camp, maybe shorten the preseason, and be ready to go in time for Week 1 on September 11th. If the NFL blows it by not being ready for Jets/Cowboys and Giants/Skins for 9/11 it would be the worst business decision since New Coke.

And if the NFL really does dissolve, I'll be first in line at the US Patent and Trademark Office waiting to trademark the phrase "Super Bowl" and "National Football League"
    Points Awarded:

MadTiger gave agharah1 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: MadTiger

Frostware
    Frostware's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5433

greedy son's a bitches... Double J, Jerry Jones is laughing all the way to the bank.

jwbama23
    LSUCKS
    jwbama23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

at least we will still have college football. Hell with these owners and players. We pay their salaries....the fans and especially the ones like me who attend the games and pay for tickets and 8 dollar beers

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by agharah1 View Post
    That couldn't be wronger.
    LMAO

Sigged!

jbrent95
    jbrent95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1450

It's all negotiating tactics. Business close everyday to avoid debt or liability.

qsilver335
    qsilver335's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

I wonder what the odds are that the NFL "goes out of business". I would put some cash down that it doesn't happen. It is all posturing. What are the odds right now that there will be football on week 1? Does any book have that bet?

JosephPavs
    JosephPavs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 148

You have to have a ticket to tailgate to keep all the trash out

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

"the greedy owners" get away with it because you dumb-ass football fans stand still and pay outrageous amounts of money for tickets.

Their billions and the player's millions came out of YOUR pocket, Bucky.

It's called Econ 101: basic supply and demand.

Deggs
    Deggs's Avatar Become A Pro!

stay for one season at home and watch the game from TV. it's a little sacrifice but it's worth it. this way we can open those greedy owners eyes.

cyberinvestor
    cyberinvestor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Millionaires fighting over money with billionaires and there is 9% unemployment in the US.

Pathetic!

BetWeather
    BetWeather's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 143

38 dollar beers

klids3
    klids3's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would be so disappointed if this really happened. Let's get a deal done. Thanks for the article!

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

Quote Originally Posted by St8Ca$homie View Post
    Fuckin' right , this is some bullshit. Im sorry but i really feel that i have grasp on whats going w/ both sides. And its all about $$$ , 18 games , rookie salary cap , all that is bs that both the players and owners can/will agree on when the time comes. This is about getting every fuckin penny bc their thinking about the long term. Football believe it or not is in a critical stage in terms of its overall development , here , abroad etc. 25-50 years from now many people , smart people i might add believe that football will suffer immensely from everything to huge law suits from ex players , current saleries and the way the game is taught at the pee wee level. Think about it , do you want your kid learning how to tackle/get hit from some moron that has no clue what hes doing. I dont! Ultimately football will face the same problems Boxing did and does to this day. Broke , former athletes that cant afford to take care of themselves. You dont need to take my word for it , just walk around your city and tell me you dont see tons of little kids playing lax , soccer , basketball , mma/wrestling , even baseball. Owners are taking a long term look at things , their going to claw for every dime. But theres absolutely no way any games are missed , no way!!! NFL has waaaay to many things riding on this , theyve seen what happened to Hockey , Baseball and yes there not football blah blah ... People WIIL WALK AWAY from football if their bitchin about $$$ on Sept. 11 instead of playing games. The NFL wants and mostly likely will have a team overseas in the next 5-10 years , any missed time will kill the NFL over the long and short term believe me. And im all for boycotttting the NFL if need be , they need to know that WE run shit. If this shit isnt cleaned up soon , im saying we boycottt the first 2 - 3 weeks of the season and spend absolutely no $$$ at all on the NFL , no BETS , no tickets , no t shirts , jerseys , beer , hotdogs etc... NOTHING. If we got 10-12% of the betting/buying public to follow that would be a huge dent from everyone to owners , books , everyone. Lets keep our $$$ in our pocket and see what they think. Just imagine how much $$$ we spend on tickets , bets , food , beer etc ... I really believe all it would take is 10-12% , for 2-3 weeks. I mean im from Boston , Pats tix are like the most expensive tix out there when you talk about parking , traffic , what else you spend there. All that $$$ , plus my bet , as little as it may be would prolly end up being between 3500-5000 depending on how much im playing those weekends. **** 'em!
    Go ahead and boycott the first few games; the owners don't give a damn what you do once you've purchased the season tickets.

Tk Fo Sho
    Tk Fo Sho's Avatar Become A Pro!

They better get a deal done. Do they not know that if they don't play this year, they will lose a bunch of fans? Which in turn makes them lose money?

They both need to get their shit together..

markteal
    markteal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1614

Greedy assholes on both sides of this, dumb players throwing their cash around like they're gonna play for ever on one side and super rich bastards on the other side trying to squeeze every dollar they can, rather than being grateful and appreciating the amazing lives they have

AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8856

If the owners give in and the players get their way, we the fans of the game will have to pay higher ticket, consecion stand, parking, and the list goes on and on ...

BetWeather

Millionaires fighting over money with billionaires and there is 9% unemployment in the US.

Pathetic!

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

i think the nfl should take a break next year, i'm sure there will still be fans and the players will probably play for cheap after that.

scratbandit
    scratbandit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 630

College football is where it is at. FuKK the NFL......

uhuhahah
    uhuhahah's Avatar Become A Pro!

How's about 1 yr free NFL ticket for the fans across America.

BetWeather

38 dollar beers

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

I believe that the season will be lost. The owners believe that one lost season will hurt most players enough to have them accept just about any terms to return. In the meantime, I suggest you all start brushing up on the CFL, because that is the only pro football you will be playing in September.

count da money
    count da money's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 88

they get paid too much

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

The owners are looking at options, but to be honest, their lockout will continue, with about 33% doubt (the likely 1 dissenting judge from the 8th circuit). The nuclear option isn't on the table and won't be. That's just posturing. Also, I think the NFL will decide prior to the June 3 hearing whether it is or isn't. Likely, it won't be. The players are out of options and are really reaching by not trying to work out a deal right now.

First 12