bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ken Dorsey traded for Trent Dilfer

I guess the 9er's wanted to get an experienced backup to help teach Smith the ropes.

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — The San Francisco 49ers acquired a proven backup quarterback for Alex Smith, getting Trent Dilfer from the Cleveland Browns on Thursday in a trade for quarterback Ken Dorsey and an undisclosed 2007 draft pick.
    Dilfer, who won a Super Bowl with Baltimore in 2001, will give the 49ers depth behind Smith, who struggled as a rookie last season after being the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 draft.

"Trent was a player we had interest in last season," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said in a statement. "We were looking for a veteran quarterback with experience that could help mentor Alex Smith. Trent fits the bill on both counts and we are excited to have him with the 49ers."

Dilfer signed a four-year deal with the Browns last year after stints with the Ravens and Seattle Seahawks. He went 4-7 as the Browns' starter before losing the job to rookie Charlie Frye. Dilfer completed 59.8% of his passes last season for 2,321 yards, with 11 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

"Trent Dilfer played an important role in the making over of our football team last year," Browns general manager Phil Savage said in a statement. "At this point, to add Ken Dorsey and to give Trent the opportunity to go back home to California is a win-win for all parties."

Dilfer, who played in college at Fresno State, has started 107 career games, throwing 106 touchdowns and 117 interceptions. He made the Pro Bowl with Tampa Bay in 1997 after passing for 2,555 yards and 21 touchdowns.

Dorsey started 10 games in his three years in San Francisco, including three last season. He completed 48 of 90 passes for 481 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions in 2005.

Cody Pickett is San Francisco's third-string quarterback, and the team also drafted Michael Robinson in the fourth round last month. Robinson, a quarterback in college at Penn State, is expected to mostly be used as a running back, receiver or kick returner in San Francisco.

The Great One
    The Great One's Avatar Become A Pro!

You know. You'd think this trade would be the opposite. After all, Frye is a 3rd round pick and Cleveland is basically giving him the keys and saying it'syour team since there is no real competition going into training camp. Dorseys a career back-up, even he knows that.

On the other hand, Smith was the #1 overall pick and will be given about 4 or 5 years to figure it out. I knew he would fail a year ago when he was the 1st pick, but I know more than most anyway. But now, they've already brought someone in to challenge for the spot. Dilfer has made it clear. He wants to play and is not a Kurt Warner type.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One
    You know. You'd think this trade would be the opposite. After all, Frye is a 3rd round pick and Cleveland is basically giving him the keys and saying it'syour team since there is no real competition going into training camp. Dorseys a career back-up, even he knows that.

On the other hand, Smith was the #1 overall pick and will be given about 4 or 5 years to figure it out. I knew he would fail a year ago when he was the 1st pick, but I know more than most anyway. But now, they've already brought someone in to challenge for the spot. Dilfer has made it clear. He wants to play and is not a Kurt Warner type.
    Sharp post, man!

I totally agree. Maybe Cleveland is trying to give Frye a shot of confidence. Frye looking over his shoulder might just be a distraction. Conversely, maybe the 49ers are trying to light a fire under Smith, ALREADY. Things might get messy in San Fran if Smith starts to stumble and the fans start calling, "Dilfer! Dilfer!! Dilfer!!!". Ugh, glad I'm not a '9ers fan.